Creating / Editing Airbases

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Creating / Editing Airbases

Post by Snake Man » 2007-02-02 14:38:58

ccc wrote:one of Iraqi surper base.
ccc wrote:if you are familiar with LE-object editor, these airbase can be used for better realism... of course, lots editing work left.
I created this new topic since I didn't want to derail the ODS bug topic. CCC thanks for posting that info and image, could you further explain in more detail what kind of editing and textures is required to create completely new airbase?

I would like to have overview of what it takes to do airbases as those would really personalize the other theaters than korea.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-02-02 14:47:43

the work for a new airbase is a huge task..

while creating a basic 3ds model is easy, the toughest parts are..

- database editing, intergrating seperate parts into your working DB.
- create new model entry for new airbase - note - once you do this, your working DB is customized for dedciated theater..
- familiarize the function of Lodeditor-object editor. check existing airbase, you'll learn how they are made of - parts of runway, tarmac, nva lite, hangers, taxi and takeoff points.. you've to do the same edits for new aribase,
- once done, link the new base to other database files, including ATC edits.

AFAIK, nobody create a brand new airbase and make it fully working in falcon4 world. you may edit existing one- like add few more hanger, change a tower and its oriention, add more taxi lites etc, BUT.. i have not seen a brand new airbase done and operational yet.

as i don't want to touch DB part.. you need somebody willing to take the challenge - tough job indeed.. and a new filed of modding.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-02-02 15:38:53

the pic shown is a test sample of Qalat Sikar AB type.

reference here..

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_377.shtml

BTW - i've to say it again- for developing new airbase, you need an OPEN database.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-02-03 05:20:58

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Post by Sherlock » 2007-02-03 05:59:30

Wow! That is incredible. It would sure be nice to get some new ABs in F4!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-02-03 06:52:12

Sherlock wrote:Wow! That is incredible. It would sure be nice to get some new ABs in F4!
it won't happen unless somebody take the toughest job. heheh

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-02-03 11:52:05

ccc wrote:- database editing, intergrating seperate parts into your working DB.
- create new model entry for new airbase - note - once you do this, your working DB is customized for dedciated theater..
- familiarize the function of Lodeditor-object editor. check existing airbase, you'll learn how they are made of - parts of runway, tarmac, nva lite, hangers, taxi and takeoff points.. you've to do the same edits for new aribase,
- once done, link the new base to other database files, including ATC edits.
Thanks for posting this summary of the edits necessary.

How is the LODeditor, is it any good?

Do people edit models in 3dmax and then import to LODeditor or how it works?

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-02-03 13:33:18

Snake Man wrote: How is the LODeditor, is it any good?

Do people edit models in 3dmax and then import to LODeditor or how it works?
object editor is part of LodEditor, for editing [feature] type item exclusively. [ feature ] type item like airbase or army base, contains several bulding models and slots data. you can check tutorial included in LE zip for more info.

for basic airbase model, yes i do it in 3ds max, then convert 3ds into LOD with LE. form then on, all process is done with LE/LE-object editor function.

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2007-02-05 18:26:20

ccc-

Can you explain how to place things like hangars and such using the OE part of LE?

That's something I may try to do.

:)
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-02-06 04:58:25

T, you can pick a default airstrip for test, try adding one or two hangers, there is a button [ add] at right upper corner of edit menu, select a item then [add] to the list, then do fine tuning.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-02-13 06:39:19

What is the minimum editing requirements to get new airbase ingame without CTD's?

For example taxi and takeoff points; Takeoff point naturally is one start of the runway, taxi points... have to be on the end part of the runway then, and they lead where... near hangars and are there then some parking spot points?

Can we leave out ATC voice linking?

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-02-13 13:36:47

imo the key is creating a new CT entry for airbase obj. so far i failed to do this. we'll count on Fred.

ranger822
Banned user

AB Creation

Post by ranger822 » 2007-02-27 22:32:16

Count me in for this one after ITO2 public release.

I am waiting on Kaspar's tutorial - when I get that I will put together some ideas- run a few tests. Unless there is some sort of coding that prevents new bases - it surely seems like just a matter of identifying all the necesary components that comprise a working airbase and then duplicating it - then modifying it, one step at a time.

My approach would be to choose an airbase - locate all the components in the database and any related files elsewhere - then duplicate that airbase as a new CT as CCC as suggested. Then replace the old CT with the new one and see if I can get it working that way. If that works then it would seem like a matter of replacing the pieces - runways, taxipoints, parking points, all the features etc. . .

Has anyone actually sat down and identified all the components of an airbase - Maddog made some wish list of things to to change but what I am talking about is how to link up such things as the frequencies, nav aids, all the stuff that lets you fly to and from an airbase as well as the models, textures, etc. . .

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-02-27 23:03:43

In my dumbed down mode I think the first goal would be to have brand new airbase 3d model with working taxi / takeoff points and this 3d model could be then placeable through tacedit.

Then we would have it ingame and usable, the rest of the fine tuning would follow like all the building positions, tacans, atc voice fragments and what else there was.

For example as simple task as to take existing whole airbase, just adjust its heading to suit some of the new theaters requirements. I mean we have tons of airbases that are "close" to the headings but not quite, like we have to use 01_19 airbase for 02_20 real life coords (ok bad example but you get my point).

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-02-28 00:49:01

I would definitely like to get in on a "piece of this action" if I can. Very interesting! I've been wanting to learn how to put new airbases into Falcon for a long, long time.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-02-28 04:42:16

Snake Man wrote:In my dumbed down mode I think the first goal would be to have brand new airbase 3d model with working taxi / takeoff points and this 3d model could be then placeable through tacedit.

Then we would have it ingame and usable, the rest of the fine tuning would follow like all the building positions, tacans, atc voice fragments and what else there was.
ya..a reasonable approach to new airbases. setting up main components, get ac taking off/landing work, then do detailing later.

ranger822
Banned user

Running some tests

Post by ranger822 » 2007-02-28 16:43:55

I will volunteer to head up an effort immediately after ITO2 is released. I will try one of the new airbase models CCC made for Israeli Theater.

Return to “Terrain / Theater”