PMC ArmA WRP Tutorial

ArmA editing, missions, modeling, textures, terrains

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

PMC ArmA WRP Tutorial

Post by Snake Man » 2007-06-03 00:01:10

PMC WRP Tutorial for ArmA

Updated: June 8th, 2007.

Tools needed: Wilbur, WrpTool latest, Unrap, Cpbo, Eliteness, hex and text editor.

This tutorial assumes that person has already read through the complete WrpTool PDF manual that can be downloaded from WrpTool homepage and has some experience on OFP island editing. In this tutorial we bybass some obvious OFP wrp editing knowledges which can be found on the WrpTool manual. Please read the manual. Oh and you dont necessary need text editor like editpadpro, notepad will do just fine also hex editor does not need to be ultraedit, any will do.

Create Initial Terrain
Use Wilbur to create your island on sizes of 12km, 25km, 51km or 102km. In our experiments wilbur v1.40 becomes too bogged down when trying to create 204km (4096x4096) terrain, so we have to create our example map on 4 x 2048 pieces. Also be noticed that ingame ArmA there are some issues at 102 and 204km sized islands which we have no solution at the moment. The two largest island sizes do work... but can crash at some point because arma.RPT file gets filled with same errors over and over again.

Import to WRP
Use WrpTool to load the wilbur export file, use the Empty WRP files if you want 102km or 204km island created since WrpTool wont allow you to create such large islands by default. Texture the whole terrain with lets say for example O\b1.paa texture, do not use any other textures, just this one type for the whole island. Do any necessary elevation editing.

Object Editing
WrpTool cannot read the ArmA ODOL format, so each and every time it discovers these p3d files, it gives "error reading vertexinfo" dialog which is annoying. Also all fancy object features like scale, align to ground and region tool's distance to next object will not work. You can see what OFP objects work in ArmA by looking at this OFP objects in ArmA topic. Make sure you do not use these included features in region tool or it will cause access violations or causes complete halt of WrpTool.

It is recommended that you place the listed objects in OFP format (ie from data3d\ and O\ directorys) and manipulate them in WrpTool and only after all your editing is done you replace them with the ArmA equivalents.

The objects in ArmA are found ingame in the "ca\blabla\" directorys, even though they are physically located in buildings\, plants\, rocks\ etc directorys without the ca\ at the beginnig. So in the recommended \bis\ WrpTool data directory (WrpTool manual, hint hint) you create first directory of "ca" and then you place buildings and rocks etc into this dir causing it to be d:\bis\ca\buildings\, d:\bis\ca\rocks\ etc.

Do not try to add these ArmA objects into objects.ini or objects.xml configuration because as mentioned, WrpTool cannot load new ArmA ODOL format and will give error message.

When your island is ready for ingame, use the Replace Objects feature to replace the old OFP objects with new ArmA objects. First of course you need to add the ArmA objects into object browser so they can be selected for replace objects feature.

There are some objects which dont have OFP equivalent for example like ca\buildings\hotel.p3d and the various iraq/mog looking buildings, these you have to place manually if you need to use them. When you place the ArmA object, WrpTool places it 1000m above the ground level as it cannot read the ArmA ODOL format, if you use align to ground it wont work, if you move the object it still stays 1000m + ground level valued. Its frustrating as you have to manually use object inspector to set the value correctly (we have the WRP utility under work which does this automatically but its not ready yet, sorry).

Creating rvmat Texture
The new thing in ArmA engine is the rvmat texture stuff, there is huge load of information about this in BI wiki so we are not going to cover it here. Before we gain more knowledge and better tools (by BIS or us heh) we just use simple method of one texture for whole island.

Take the existing rvmat file from sara.pbo for example, or you can go with Solus desert island, PMC WRP Demo islands or Deanosbeanos Afghanistan islands, up to you. But here is list of semi matching green lush and dry desert texture types from sara.pbo

Green vegetation:
sara\Data\Layers\s_023_011_lco.paa
sara\Data\Layers\s_027_013_lco.paa
sara\Data\Layers\s_031_020_lco.paa
sara\Data\Layers\s_032_021_lco.paa
sara\Data\Layers\s_033_015_lco.paa
sara\Data\Layers\s_035_015_lco.paa
sara\Data\Layers\s_037_014_lco.paa
sara\Data\Layers\s_037_015_lco.paa

Desert dry generic:
sara\Data\Layers\s_023_028_lco.paa

You must then grab the matching .rvmat file for the selected texture, in this case we simply take the PMC WRP Demo islands 1.rvmat as its simple. Use UnRap.exe to create the CPP file out of the rvmat and open it with text editor. The important parts are the class Stage0 and class Stage1 where you must specify the texture filename, in our example case its stage0: texture = "PMC_wrpdemo\data\layers\s_005_007_lco.paa"; and stage1: texture = "PMC_wrpdemo\data\layers\m_001_004_lco.paa"; the stage2 through stage13 are pointing out to the sara.pbo files, but as you see the stage0 and stage1 need to be the specific texture you use, in this case in our own pbo. You can however just grab any of the example paa textures from sara.pbo and use them, but there are only close matches, not perfect matching texture so it "tiles" properly.

If you edited new rvmat texture file, use eliteness to create the cpp -> rvmat change again by loading the CPP, then using Tools -> Rapify feature to save it into .rvmat format.

This rvmat business is confusing as heck, so I highly recommend (unless you're a really smart guy unlike me) to just grab the already mentioned existing rvmats and use them, you can in fact use them without even putting the rvmat into your own island pbo, just use it as any other texture from any pbo file.

This texture thing is really difficult to explain and I'm sure will be one of the most difficult to understand, so I will be regularly updating this part to make it more easily to understand.

Evil Hex Editing
You need to hex edit the textures into WRP file since WrpTool only loads paa textures. So open up your WRP file in your favourite hex editor (I use ultraedit), search for ".pa" string and replace that with what ever path you have made your rvmat texture. In PMC WRP Demo islands this directory+filename was "PMC_wrpdemo\1.rvmat". Also its been said that the path+filename must be same lenght as the original, well what I understand it wont matter as long as its less than 32 characters and you edit the 00's into the WRP if your path+filename was shorter than original.

Config
Island config is updated on ArmA, its very cool that you can add cutscenes, missions and even campaigns into the island addon pbo now. You can create class to place them here, use class CfgMissions and there class Missions for missions, class Campaigns for campaigns and class Cutscenes for island cutscenes. These are optional, but any island released should have menu background cutscene.

Take a look at the sara, saralite or any of the user made island configs for reference, edit only few bits to match if for your island so you dont have to track down too many times if there is an error.

Island PBO to ArmA
Create island PBO with the Cpbo util, or PboX if you want to use that. I havent found use for the $PBOPREFIX$ yet but have no clue if thats good or bad.

OFP -> ArmA island conversion
To convert OFP island into ArmA is semi easy, depending how hysterical 1:1 accurate you want to be. WrpTool Development Team is coding util now to do this automatically in few seconds, it works pretty good now but the util is not yet ready for release.

Open up your OFP WRP and save it with WrpTool to create 4WVR format .WRP if its not already in this format. First replace all textures with one texture as explained above (we only have like green vegetation and dry desert to choose from heh). Then use the painstaking Replace Objects feature to do the OFP->ArmA conversion as the above mentioned list suggests. Finally do the hex edit rvmat texture replacement for the one texture you set (in our example O\b1.paa) in WrpTool. Create config for your island and try it ingame.

ArmA loads island ok even if it has objects missing, however if you try to preview/play mission it will crash. It wont crash if you have texture(s) missing. Look for arma.RPT file, its your friend to tell whats causing problems.

If you want to use usermade OFP objects that are not in ArmA, then you need to have these obects as MLOD models in the pbo and otherwise working with ArmA also (I am not sure what is required out of them). Its really a difficult road to go with usermade objects.

This tutorial is work in progress, you are welcome to ask questions and we'll surely update this tutorial to the best of our knowledge to help you get further. We want to share information, we want you to enjoy creating islands for ArmA :)
Last edited by Snake Man on 2007-06-08 15:06:02, edited 2 times in total.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

lilwillie
Recruit

Re: PMC ArmA WRP Tutorial

Post by lilwillie » 2007-06-03 22:56:12

Snake Man wrote: Object Editing
WrpTool cannot read the ArmA ODOL format, so each and every time it discovers these p3d files, it gives "error reading vertexinfo" dialog which is annoying.

It is recommended that you place the listed objects in OFP format (ie from data3d\ and O\ directorys) and manipulate them in WrpTool and only after all your editing is done you replace them with the ArmA equivalents.

Do not try to add these ArmA objects into objects.ini or objects.xml configuration because as mentioned, WrpTool cannot load new ArmA ODOL format and will give error message.

When your island is ready for ingame, use the Replace Objects feature to replace the old OFP objects with new ArmA objects. First of course you need to add the ArmA objects into object browser so they can be selected for replace objects feature.
Could you clarify this for me? Maybe I am misunderstanding it.

I have the appropriate ArmA p3d's in the correct file path. When I try to "add objects" I am getting stuck. I have gone threw the choices to add them but always get the "vertexinfo" error.

What path threw the WRPTool should I be using to add the Arma objects into the object browser to then replace objects. Using the Object Browser in WRP gives a error. What am I doing incorrectly since you have made it work?

Other then using the object browser to add objects what do I use?

kubi

Post by kubi » 2007-06-04 15:30:52

Hi,

Did you see this?
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/i ... =61159&st=

"I am trying to decode ARMA ODOL v40 format and I thing that its possible (good progress with m16a4.p3d, all LODs, vertices and faces decoded, problems with materials and textures(when I succes with 1 file the others will not be problem)), but by decode to OFP MLOD it will lose some data
ARMA MLOD format is unknow and we still need ARMA binarize tool to make ARMA ODOL format back.
I hope that BIS will release some of what they promise (ARMA MLOD, O3). "

What do you think? Would it be possible to convert arma odol to a format that readable by WRPTool?

Br,
Kubi

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-06-07 08:07:17

lilwillie wrote:Could you clarify this for me? Maybe I am misunderstanding it.
You need to be more specific?
When I try to "add objects" I am getting stuck. I have gone threw the choices to add them but always get the "vertexinfo" error.
That is normal, as the tutorial says WrpTool cannot read ArmA ODOL format.
What path threw the WRPTool should I be using to add the Arma objects into the object browser to then replace objects.
Beyond what I said in the tutorial, I dont know what to add(?).
Other then using the object browser to add objects what do I use?
Nothing, only thing to add objects is to use Object Browser.
kubi wrote:Did you see this?
Yes, GateBuilder is very cool the little I've tested it.
Would it be possible to convert arma odol to a format that readable by WRPTool?
Well I havent even taken a look at the ArmA ODOL format p3d file yet, so I dont know. I've contacted bxbx to ask if he would share the file format discoveries hes done with us so I could update WrpTool, so far no reply.

Whether we get them from bxbx, someone else or figure out them by ourselves, it will be fixed at some point in the future.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

lilwillie
Recruit

Post by lilwillie » 2007-06-07 11:24:53

Thanks for the reply, Snakeman.

I guess it wasn't very clear. I'm just having problems getting the Arma objects in and not really understanding how to get them in. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to go threw each step again and see what I am doing wrong.

I can open the object browser, see the ArmA objects that I placed in the path file where all my De-PBO files are, but when I click on them, vertex error.

Not being a programmer or designer this is a learning experience for me. But still fun.

Thanks for your time and effort.

DMarkwick
Recruit

Post by DMarkwick » 2007-06-08 10:12:50

Hi Snakeman. Thanks very much for letting me on the site :)

I managed to get Eliteness, but I cannot see how to make a rvmat file. I see that it can rapify and PBO a file, but there's no apparent rvmat export option. The Eliteness I have is version 2.12.

My first project is a map conversion, the map I chose has some extra objects that live in another PBO file, are the objects within that file likely to work OK like the OFP objects that are already in ArmA? Or will I need to do something to them?

When I unpacked the map and opened it in WrpTool there were about 500 unrecognised objects, which I assume are in the additional PBO. How can I make WrpTool recognise these objects?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-06-08 10:29:31

DMarkwick wrote:Hi Snakeman. Thanks very much for letting me on the site
You're welcome.
I managed to get Eliteness, but I cannot see how to make a rvmat file.
I have now updated the tutorial, let me know if its not clear.
are the objects within that file likely to work OK like the OFP objects that are already in ArmA? Or will I need to do something to them?
I added this information also in the tutorial, let me know if there is more you need to know.
WrpTool there were about 500 unrecognised objects, which I assume are in the additional PBO. How can I make WrpTool recognise these objects?
Ah, as I opened in the tutorial, its meant to be read after understanding WrpTool operations, ie reading its 124 page PDF manual :)

PMC since 1984

DMarkwick
Recruit

Post by DMarkwick » 2007-06-08 11:28:05

Snake Man wrote:
I managed to get Eliteness, but I cannot see how to make a rvmat file.
I have now updated the tutorial, let me know if its not clear.
It's perfectly clear now thanks :)
are the objects within that file likely to work OK like the OFP objects that are already in ArmA? Or will I need to do something to them?
I added this information also in the tutorial, let me know if there is more you need to know.
Again quite clear thanks :)
WrpTool there were about 500 unrecognised objects, which I assume are in the additional PBO. How can I make WrpTool recognise these objects?
Ah, as I opened in the tutorial, its meant to be read after understanding WrpTool operations, ie reading its 124 page PDF manual :)
LOL, yes I guess I will take a "RTFM" hit :D

Trying to convert this OFP map I have, in the hex editor I'm seeing about a thousand ".paa" references :D how will I know which one to edit with the new "rvmat" file location?

Reading your above new comments (about WRP Development Team map tool) makes me think that maybe I should wait for this tool, it sounds like it will save a lot of fiddly work. Is there any kind of release schedule? A beta release I can use?

*edit* I see that it's called Visitor 3" and is not released yet on the Wiki.

Landdon

Post by Landdon » 2007-06-08 11:44:17

Thanks Snake for allowing me access to this great forum. Being absolutely new to island making I know I must first get the tool and read the manuals. I have found Eliteness (found in OPEC site), WrpTool (found here) but where can I find the others? Thanks for your help in advance.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-06-08 15:11:30

DMarkwick wrote:in the hex editor I'm seeing about a thousand ".paa" references how will I know which one to edit with the new "rvmat" file location?
As the import to wrp part said, you need to place one texture to cover the whole island which then can be changed with hex editor. This goes to converting OFP islands as well as creating brand new ones.
maybe I should wait for this tool, it sounds like it will save a lot of fiddly work. Is there any kind of release schedule? A beta release I can use?
No release dates, no beta tests, sorry. Its under work and looking good, but still nowhere near a release.
Landdon wrote:Thanks Snake for allowing me access to this great forum.
Welcome aboard.
I have found Eliteness (found in OPEC site), WrpTool (found here) but where can I find the others?
The tutorial was updated again, thanks for pointing out that there was no links for the utils.

Also notice that you really do not need ultraedit or editpadpro, in fact I think both of those are commercial programs... they just are what I use and they are great for the task. You can use notepad and any hex editor you find/like.

PMC since 1984

Landdon

Post by Landdon » 2007-06-10 10:59:54

Snake I am not understanding the setup of the WrpTool Setting as stated on page 5 of the manuel. Do I go and make a copy of my old OFP addon files, then de-pbo the into a new directory? And do I do the same for my ArmA Addons?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-06-10 11:22:50

You make a dir called "ca\" for ArmA, then place other directories in there like ca\buildings\, ca\plants\ etc.

PMC since 1984

Landdon

Post by Landdon » 2007-06-11 04:45:54

Suprisingly enough I got it to do it, I created the sub-directory of ca\. Just a note to anyone one else, the button to accept is hidden. You can bearly see the top of it in the lower left hand corner. How did you guys get more than one island on a map? This is turning out to be a lot tougher than I thought. Think maybe we can get together on TS or so thing like that?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-06-11 05:18:14

Button is hidden, what do you mean?

I used import WRP feature to create PMC Desert 204km (Wilbur cannot edit 4096 sized terrain in my computer at least) and AEC islands.

I dont think teamspeak is a good idea, forum will do just fine and if you want to speed up the proccess, join to #wrptool on quakenet (IRC) for chat, I'm there 24hrs and awake 23hrs a day heh.

PMC since 1984

PROPER.Q
Recruit

Post by PROPER.Q » 2007-12-12 08:25:47

Preface

This small tut covers only how to get a single texture for your former OFP island.
The config needs to be update as well.

Tools needed
WrpTool latest, Unrap, Cpbo, Eliteness, hex (powergrep for example) and text editor.

Part ONE

1. Unpack SLX_Isl.pbo
2. Move Data folder (in SLX_Isl\1saralite) to your island:

Code: Select all

YOURISLAND\t\Data
3. Convert the 1.rvmat with unrap (one file) - you will receive a 1.cpp.
4. Open 1.cpp and convert the texture path to your new one:

SLX_Isl\1saralite => YOURISLAND\t
5. Open eliteness. File - open 1.cpp.
6. Tools - rapify. Save as 1.rvmat.
7. Copy the 1.rvmat to your addon:

YOURISLAND\1.rvmat
The place is up to you, however keep the path length short.

Part TWO
1. Get a OFP texture, like b1.paa from OFP\Res\O.pbo.
2. Rename the texture to b12.paa. Same length as your rvmat file (1.rvmat = 7 characters).
3. Create a temporary texture folder WRPTool. The name and its structure are VERY important.
The overall path may NOT exceed 32 characters.
Basic idea is to name it the same way as your new island addon:

t\YOURISLAND\b12.paa

Use a single character like t to keep the path length as short as possible.
4. Run WRPTool. Settings, Change settings. Add.
5. Select your t folder.
6. View, Texture browser. Add New. Select the b12.paa file.
7. Leave the texture browser open. Click F7 on your keyboard.
8. Click the b12.paa in the texture browser.
9. Click on the island in the middle of your screen.
10. CTRL+A
11. Hold shift
12. Click on any red object / dot on the island.
13. Text message - all texture replaces (or so).
14. Save your wrp.
15. Open the wrp with a hex editor and replace

YOURISLAND\b12.paa
with

YOURISLAND\1.rvmat
16. Save your changes.
17. PBO the island folder.
18. Start ArmA and test it ingame.

Gnat
1st Lt

Post by Gnat » 2007-12-12 10:33:32

Whoah !!!!
Thanks PROPER.Q ...... gotta try this out :)

Gnat
1st Lt

Post by Gnat » 2007-12-13 15:12:36

Cool .... I got my Water World into ArmA now ..... well, I have the Terrain into ArmA.

The Problem: Object Replacement
In WrpTool I could blindly try replacing a few hundred object with no thumbnail preview (ok, not so bad) but the real pain is no p3d preview.

I've copied a couple of un-PBO'ed ArmA directories into WrpTool (ie Buildings, roads etc), but it can't read the p3d files :(
Example is the ArmA hangers are raised off the ground too far.

Any tips for mass translation of OFP object references to ArmA object replacement ?

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-12-13 18:08:51

First of all i would like to thank you (Gnat ) for your contributions to the community over the years m8.THANX. :D :D :D

2nd i would like to ask you to test something for me.

If you can could you please test your "water world" island.pbo Flying around in a fast Jet .e.g Harrier. with a view distance of over 3000m to see if you get a CTD. :?

Sorry to ask you of a Horror of a Test. :cry:

But the Vte islands will CTD while in a fast moving airborne vehicle with a view distance around and plus what i have stated previously.

I have swapped nearly all of the VTE objects with ARMA objects and the islands still CTD.Which makes me think the worst and suspect that the WRPTool conversion may be corrupting data(sorry snake man and team dev"s).I would love to be proven wrong on this suspicion for i am a WRPTool man(I would prefer to be still using WRPTool Myself) and dont/wont bother learnn/using Visitor 3.

Can you plz run this test and let me know the results for i am going crazy with all my favorite OFP stuff (VTE F4,f5 ,f105 a4,a1 etc)to use in ARMA but it bloody CTD's when i go to indulge myself in them.

P.S i would love to have a ARMA version of ya Vbomber(and the B52 of course :) ) scripts m8.Hint Hint.I spent hours calling in airstrikes all on my own in the editor,Thats how bloody awesome and valuable that was/is or me. I consider it as valuable an asset to a mission as the "old" COC arty.And i am sure by now everyone is missing it (COC Arty) like i never knew or thought i would.

Thnx again dude. :)

Gnat
1st Lt

Post by Gnat » 2007-12-14 06:04:41

anzacsas wrote:P.S i would love to have a ARMA version of ya Vbomber(and the B52 of course :) ) scripts m8.Hint Hint.
Thanks! .... think thats the first I've heard feedback on VBomber! At least it wasn't a waste of time ;)
Now you got me thinking of how I can port it to ArmA .....

As for the CTD, I was going to say..... No, not a problem. Cruzin around at 800+ speed with VD at 6000m for 10 minutes ...... np

But...... as soon as I Tab'ed back after taking this picture ... BOOM, CTD.

I don't know much about the "ArmA" maps vs the older style OFP Wrp maps, but considering the lack of detail in these wrp converted maps (only a few objects) there should be a much better, lower fog display ingame. Its almost like for wrp converted maps that maybe ArmA loads the WHOLE map and textures into memory ......
Somethings a little off anyway.

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-12-14 07:25:10

Thnx m8 for runn the test.The CTD you mentioned :roll: i havnt personally seen.Wow.

Do you Have VTE?

There is a 51klm island/s inthere at the moment that i did for OFP.It was made for Naval/air engagements.This island ran good in OFP and only CTD if you tried to load it twice.But now it will run for a max of ten minutes and will CTD.

The island has some floating trees around the airbase that needs fixing but all in all it was a go at the waterworld concept that had a couple of descent islands to start at.Although i dont think i added ports to it.But please feel free to use and abuse it if you feel the need. :)

Gnat
1st Lt

Post by Gnat » 2007-12-14 10:20:10

Yep, that map CTD'ed by itself after about 10 mins as I was flying over the main island.

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-12-14 12:04:54

I dont know what to do to stop the CTD's. :roll:

Can anyone who developed WRPTool have a look at this problem and hopefully let us know of a solution Please. :)

Gnat
1st Lt

Post by Gnat » 2007-12-14 14:55:09

Yes .... the "WrpTool Team" has been rather quiet! *kicks the door*

Hello, anyone there who wants to help us out ?!

Geez, at the moment I'd even settle for a simple tool that exported the height-map for easy use in Visitor ....

PROPER.Q
Recruit

Post by PROPER.Q » 2007-12-14 20:18:21

Well, regarding

a) CTD - no prob I think. It only happens from time to time with time accel here.
I think the reason is that ArmA island use terrain streaming, whereas
the old converted do not.
Real gameplay testing is required to see if it is actually a real problem or
only for editor testing with 10k VD and 4x accel. :wink:

b) Object conversion: Snake man wrote a tool to autoconvert almost all standard OFP + RES objects to ArmA equivalents.
Works very nice. You can delete the rest via WRPTool easily.
Also you can replace objects beforehand to different ones, if you don't want
em to converted by Snake Man's tool.
Maybe visit him in irc @wrptool @ qnet.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-15 00:53:15

PROPER.Q wrote:I think the reason is that ArmA island use terrain streaming, whereas the old converted do not.
Oh man I didn't want to bring this up on irc but also didn't have any idea you go around spreading this onto the forums so now I have to speak up.

What hard facts do you have to support this not streaming claim other than some BIS forums Mr Expert troll's bullshit posts?

PMC since 1984

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-12-15 01:59:17

PROPER.Q,

The CTDs in the VTE Terrains happen all the time whether or not its editor or MP session and will happen at as low a viewdistance as 2400m,And 1,2 or 4xspeed isnt a requirement.10 mins flying in an aircraft ,doing speed of around 700klmh will do it everytime.FOR PEOPLE WHO DONT FLY OR DONT USE BIG VIEWDISTANCES (+2200m) YOU WILL NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM.

I am confident this is not a P3d problem.I/We have tested over 130 of em(VTE vs ARMA) and it still happens so i am looking at other reasons.And as Gnat stated his island has only a very small number of objects which are ARMA i believe.But not sure.

OFP didnt stream and that never gave a CTD like this.OFP would let you load,run and play massive islands with huge textures(2048 was the norm for my bro and i) but dont expect to load another Island after it.So this is a new problem i think.

Gnat
1st Lt

Post by Gnat » 2007-12-15 06:01:41

anzacsas wrote:I am confident this is not a P3d problem.I/We have tested over 130 of em(VTE vs ARMA) and it still happens so i am looking at other reasons.And as Gnat stated his island has only a very small number of objects which are ARMA i believe.But not sure..
Yes, there were only a few ArmA objects on the map, no custom or OFP objects and it still CTD'ed after I Alt-Tab'ed just once.

I'm suggesting its a memory (ie stream vs all load maybe) because you get exactly the same CTD problem with normal ArmA maps and addons when you don't flush memory etc ..... except it happens MUCH sooner with these maps.
Also suggested by higher than expected fog levels. This almost always means more memory in use/more CPU power in use.
For a simple map and texture imported from OFP ....... doesn't make a lot of sense.

PROPER.Q
Recruit

Post by PROPER.Q » 2007-12-15 17:56:08

What hard facts do you have to support this not streaming claim
None. Thats why I wrote "I think". Means I don't have a clue about the technical details and about the source of the problem.

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-01-12 09:18:17

Hi all, :)

Snake man i've had a cupple of go's at editing a vte island -RIJ.

I am having problems with the objects showing up ingame.I am only using vte objects to keep it simple.
The ingame map shows the icons for the objects but the objects arent there, on the terrain ingame.

The problem i reckon is iam not loading the objects from the right place.
I have loaded the objects into wrptool from my C drive in folder called bis and i have put the objects in there.I have also tried putting inside that a folder called ca and dropped the vte objects in there,but no luck.

I realise this has already prolly been explained but i have tried and tried,read and re-read this and i just cant make it happen.

Some stuff just completey illudes me.Originally i had a friend of mine teach me how to setup wrptool and get it runn.

Would greatly appreciate some more help.

Thanx. :)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-01-13 00:17:34

Sounds like they arent aligned properly. If you use VTE objects only, just use the align all objs to ground feature.

PMC since 1984

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-01-13 07:13:31

Thanx m8,

I'll try again later today. :D

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-01-13 17:46:13

The objects are ingame thnx m8. :D

But they are floating in the air. :(
I tried the object align function and there still up in the air. :(

Any other suggestions? :?:

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-02-10 06:43:12

When i use the "align all selected objects" fucntion wrptool does something ,it takes awhile for wrptool and then it lets me resume editing.I save and test ingame and i still have floating objects :(

I will try reinstalling wrptool again .

Hopefully this will fix the align objects function/s.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-02-10 10:22:08

WrpTool aligns the objects properly to the ODOL format they are in (or does not align if you feed inproper format). Its already been said that all ArmA objects arent perfect matches for OFP ones.

PMC since 1984

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-02-10 16:51:29

I have only tried the vte arma objects.

Not loading them correctly in to wrptool ,is that what you mean?