Vietnam era in COD: Black Ops

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA 2

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Vietnam era in COD: Black Ops

Post by Snake Man » 2010-11-10 07:32:02

Some of you might have read / seen that there is some Vietnam era action in Call Of Duty: Black Ops.

Well I have just tested it and I can sum it up; its pure garbage, stay away from it!

First of all, all the COD games are garbage, we all know that, they are nothing like OFP, ArmA or ArmA 2. On top of that this new black ops game is very buggy, very laggy and is top of the line "dancing & frag" as we know it, I just got dizzy looking the intro before main menu and it was pure horror on the campaign intros. The speed of the game is insane, its like something you could imagine from consoles. Its all scripted and depends on player movement, enemies are spawn out of thin air as you move forward and your AI team mates only move after you move beyond specific point.

The vietnam then...

Well forget about jungle vegetation, I was expecting this and was very anxious to get to play as I wanted to see what VTE is up against, what have the wizards done for the "worlds finest fps game [cod]". Well, there is no jungle, in fact dunno if there is any vegetation other than rocks.

There is two "L3V3LZ!!1" in black ops for vietnam (that I played so far, the story time line suggests there isn't any more as its in Vietnam on 1968 and after that moves to other regions). Khe Sahn and Hue city. Khe Sahn is just a sandy base with some trenches and bunkers with machine gun nests and on top of that, the base is on a hillside. Hordes of NVA attacking the base and T55's in number of 6 in point blank range. F4 Phantoms are "arclight" bomb strikes. Hue city is basically same as any other COD crappy city, there is NOTHING Vietnam about it.

The game play is pure horror. You basically run through the corridor levels with trigger pressed spraying bullets all around hoping you survive. Oh and they have Hecker & Koch MP5-K sub machine guns in 1960's... On Hue city the air strikes come from Huey gunship which suddenly shows up in middle of the streets between the buildings and strafes with miniguns the T55 tanks for example, its so lame I cannot express it with words.

If you are considering checking out COD: Black Ops for the sake of it having some Vietnam era stuff, oh please God DON'T! :x
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

mortyfero
Gaming Interests: ArmA 2 (Armed Assault 2)
Editing Interests: Missions

Re: Vietnam era in COD: Black Ops

Post by mortyfero » 2010-11-10 11:31:29

Ho ho ho ... no more no less than an ordinary COD saga game !!

What where you expecting from it ??? I saw on a video (won't purchase the game for sure) they ahd also spas shotgun in 60's !!

It's totally a different kind of game. It's a RUN & GUN !! No tactics, no realism, your man can survive a 100 bullets and 1000 can exit from a bus :D ..

Please give us the total release of VTE !!! :mrgreen:

TrueApothecary
Recruit
Gaming Interests: ArmA 2 (Armed Assault 2)
Editing Interests: Modeling + Texturing

Re: Vietnam era in COD: Black Ops

Post by TrueApothecary » 2010-11-21 07:13:31

It's a movie. All the CoD series are designed that way. It's not a 60$ value movie though I must admit. It has some neat features here and there, but you can't take the game seriously. It's CoD after all.

Some of the scenery was neat like the fireflies in the jungle at night or the hastily strapped on 203 to the bottom of an M14 was a neat hodge-podge looking modification. It wasn't a terrible game to play, but they could have done better by far.

I think I'm done with the series though. I don't think I'll buy another Call of Duty. There isn't much difference between Black Ops vs CoD 4 or 5 graphics wise. Plus CoD 4 and 5 were written for the PC instead of being console ports (Less bugs, less crashing, not to mention they could be modded). I was under the impression that they had changed their mind and decided to support the PC again after MW2, but apparently not. Not to mention they promised features like Campaign Co-op mode on the box, but they aren't actually featured in the game.

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA 2)”