UnPBO'd my files but can't place an object

WrpTool island creator utility

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

harlanpepper

UnPBO'd my files but can't place an object

Post by harlanpepper » 2004-11-08 01:08:58

Hello. I've just finished importing an island (1024x1024) to WrpTool from wilbur, but I can't seem to place an object on the map.

I've read the first part of the manual and have my de-PBO folders in the following location:

D:Program FilesWRPToolWrpTool.v0.906.ReleaseUnPBO

within that directory are the folders created from pbo decryptor 1.5:

Abel
Cain
Data
Data3D
DTAEXT
Eden
LandText
Noe
O

When I load up my .wrp file I get the following messages in WrpTool:

Read Settings
Read Texture Paths...
Texture Paths read.
Read Object Paths...
Texture Object read.
Read 11 Classes
Read Object List
Read 644 Object definitions
Read Object Previews
[ImportWrpFile] Signature: 4WVR
X size: 1024
Z size: 1024
Read 1048576 Texture indexes
Read 1 Texture names
0 3dObjects read
Load road system

I have the following set for both textures & objects in the settings > change settings section:

How do I go about putting something from the object finder into the current object field of the map so I can place it? At the moment, I can select an object (from 0/Hous/benzina.p3d for example) but when I click the checked "OK" button, nothing happens.

This is probably pretty basic, but I can't figure it out after a couple hours banging my head. Any ideas? I got the PBO list from a post on this forum about the "basic" PBOs you need to start an island.

shinRaiden
Captain

Re: UnPBO'd my files but can't place an object

Post by shinRaiden » 2004-11-08 05:24:03

Ok, first off your setup looks right, this is where new users generally run into difficulties, congratulations.

Secondly, the Object Finder tool is designed more for adding undefined objects to the working set rather than actual object placement. (Manual pg. 17) To place objects you'll use the Object Browser tool (pg 15-16).

The actual process of selecting configured objects in the object browser and placing them on the map is covered on pg's 19-20.

Thanks.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-11-08 12:27:57

I've read the first part of the manual and have my de-PBO folders in the following location:
Please dont use empty spaces in the directory names.

harlanpepper

Post by harlanpepper » 2004-11-08 17:12:15

Thanks for the replies, shinRaiden and Snake_Man.

I guess the first problem I had was that I expected the object I was selecting in the object browser to move over to the "current object" window before I could place it. I also kept closing the object browser window before trying to ALT+click to place something. So, I kept the object browser window open, selected some trees, and inserted them into my map just fine. Now the "current object" window displays whatever object I drag the mouse over. Problem seems fixed - I was just repeatedly expecting the wrong things to happen ::)

And I'll take Snake_Man's suggestion and move my UnPBO file to D:UnPbo.

Thanks again. Here's the island I'm doing - I'll find out soon enough if it's too big. Came from 5 merged 30m DEM coverages. It's about 30-something km across.

http://www.ecatalina.com/ui_images/map.jpg

rvirding
Recruit

Post by rvirding » 2004-11-09 09:38:22

Thanks again.  Here's the island I'm doing - I'll find out soon enough if it's too big.  Came from 5 merged 30m DEM coverages.  It's about 30-something km across.

http://www.ecatalina.com/ui_images/map.jpg
Nice, I like it when people model real maps. We have done a 51x51km map with no size problems, except that it takes a long time to load. :-) I would be very interested in hearing of your experiences in modeling the terrain details, forrests fields, etc.

harlanpepper

Post by harlanpepper » 2004-11-10 03:02:23

Nice, I like it when people model real maps. We have done a 51x51km map with no size problems, except that it takes a long time to load. :-) I would be very interested in hearing of your experiences in modeling the terrain details, forrests fields, etc.
Yeah, I was only interested in doing a real island. Seems a lot easier than generating all your terrain by hand and adds some immersion knowing you're in a real place. The only problem I see now is that the subtle terrain oddities from the DEM are going to result in a total lag-fest of a map @ 51x51km. I read that using the "blur" tool in Wilbur was essential in taking those small-scale variations out and improving performance. But part of my goal is to make as realistic an island as I can. About 1% of the way into this island, I'm starting to think I should size down to 26x26km and pick another island.

The physical scale of the project hasn't scared me off yet - I just want to have a finished product that will run smoothly on a "normal" PC. Will I be able to fully detail my island or will I have to make concessions due to the size? Starting to shop for new islands to see if something strikes me. Considered San Miguel, but it's bordering on too small - and too linear (and it's surrounded by cliffs, which makes beach landings difficult >:(:

http://essp.csumb.edu/eseal/kristi_west ... tures.html