This is the Vietnam: The Experience pre Alpha 06-24-08 release, it is our fifth release for ArmA. This release has been done after heavy multiplayer testing and several suggestions and requests from the players.
Pre alpha means that this is work in progress. Usually the release cycles go from alpha to beta to release candidate into the final release. This release is still incomplete but the earlier versions have been proven on MP to be very enjoyable, this release should enhance the MP even more. We just want to warn anyone who is interested to not get their hopes up, VTE team is not in the business to overhyping their work. This version includes several new 3d models as well some placeholders; ie they do not work, they are meant to be just placed in missions so when we eventually fix them they are already in.
- - Many models have no normal or specular maps.
- Soldier models with bad texturing.
- No missions or campaigns (except on our dedicated server).
- No shadows on ported objects.
- A "few" errors on arma.RPT file...
DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UNLESS YOU ACCEPT THAT THIS IS WORK IN PROGRESS.
This release contains the following: A1 Skyraider, ACH-47A Gunship, AH1 Cobra, A4 Skyhawk, A6 Intruder, B52 Stratofortress, C130 Hercules, CH-34, CH-47 Chinook, F5 (camo and grey), F4E Phantom (camo and grey), F105 Thunderchief, MC130 Combat Talon, MiG-17 (two camos), MiG-19, UH-1 Huey (slick, dustoff and gunships), O1 Birddog, OH-6, S56 Sikorsky, LSSC, PBR, two sampans, USS Kittyhawk, M48 Patton, M113 ACAV (3 machine guns), M551 Sheridan, PT76, SA-2 SAM, T55 and ZU23. For personal weapons we have: AK47, AR-15 (Colt Commando), CAR-15 GL, Bren2, Browning, DP27, Enfield, Garand, Ithaca, Kar 98K, L1A1, M1 Carbine, M3A1/SD, M14, M16A1, M21, M39 Hush Puppy, M45 Swedish K, M60/shorty, M72 LAW, M79, M1911, Mas36, Mosin 38, Mosin Nagant, MP40, PPD40, PPS43, PPSh, PRC25, RPD, RPG2, RPG7, SKS, Sten/SD, Stoner, SVT, Thompson, Type63, Type 56, Type 68, Uzi and XM177e.
Config for all the VTE v0.4 soldiers (in theory basic OFP VTE v0.4 missions should work with little tweaking), there is now new models for most of the infantry branches. And of course the VTE objects/terrains, including two prototype terrains for us to try out in MP environment.
Disclaimer: If you create missions with this release, be prepared to overhaul them completely in the future when we release next version, we guarantee you that classnames and stuff will change to break your missions. However the soldier classnames are now set, I would not think they will get changed, but nothing can be promised at this moment. Be prepared to expect bugs and broken things in this release. More mission porting compatibility has been added to this version.
Screenshots: I run ArmA with all details set to low/very low and disabled, but I did take some shots from our MP sessions with the first release, check them out in VTE ArmA screenshots topic. However here is the earlier screenshots by granQ:
M79 grenade launcher
VietCong face (old vietcong).
GI Joe (old Army soldier).
NVA (old NVA soldier).
Weapons 21st June 2007.
Here is few screenshots of the new stuff.
Future plans: We have alot of work to do, all of the models need to be reworked, textures done, terrains... configs... oh boy, dont get me started, anyone care to help? Hehe. I'm looking forward to working for the NAM stuff, it will be great.
Please join to PMC Tactical (VTE) dedicated server to test MP with this release, the more testing and bug reports we have, the better we can develop this further. Read details of the addons etc in PMC Tactical (VTE) dedicated server ADDONS topic. Hope to see you all on the server.
Changelog (just a few latest fixes):
Code: Select all
- created new unit model for vc rifleman, at, mg, rto and team leader (Agamoth work). - created new unit model for usmfr MG. - created new unit model for sog rifleman and rto. - created new unit model for sf rifleman. - created new unit model for seal team leader. - created new unit mofel for nva rifleman. - created new unit model for mike rifleman. - created new unit model for lrrp tiger rifleman. - created new unit model for lrrp erdl team leader and rto. - created new unit model for aus sas team leader. - created new unit model for aus rifleman. - created new unit model for arvn rifleman and rto. - created new unit model for army grenadier, MG, rifleman and rto. - created new unit model for aircav rifleman, rto and pilot (Agamoth work). - sa-2 will not engage blufor aircrafts, fixed. - uh1 guns pilot/gunner proxy alignments fixed. - tall grass had dark spots in it, fixed. - created normal/specular maps for grassf.paa - created normal/specular maps for grass.paa - created normal/specular maps for bush3.paa - moved vte_objects textures from several dirs into one t/ dir. - radar was not rotating on lssc, fixed. - added vilas l1a1 assault rifle. - replaced hex edited retexture m113 model with BIS MLOD model. - merged textures for all infantry weapons except M21. - ah1j turret wont move/rotate, fixed. - tanks bounced in a grass, fixed. - damage textures for huey. - added 150 poly lower res LOD for VTE_afbshelter2. - added lower resolution LODs for all new VC units. - added lower resolution LODs for all new AirCav units. etc... etc...
Download VTE_pre_alpha_06-24-08.rar - 589mb.
Mirror 1: gamingsa.com
Mirror 2: Armaholic.com
More mirrors would be welcome. Thanks for the existing ones.