Hello

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

TC-Roland

Hello

Post by TC-Roland » 2007-11-12 15:01:49

Hi all @ PMC. I would like to say hi. A bit about myself:-

I love all things Vietnam! It's fantastic news to find out that you guys have made a Vietnam addon for Arma.

I have read loads of books (25 last count) on all aspects of Vietnam, from the Chinese invasion in 300 BC to the present day. I would be interested in reading any new books you guys may have read. I will post a booklist that I have read a bit later.

Although I have been playing FPS games since I got my 1st PC in 2000, the first online game I played was Vietcong. I then joined TeamCoop (TC) and proceeded to play this game solidly for about 2 years. It's just awesome, but now a bit dated. To this day, I have still not played another game that matched the sound quality (you could hear a frog fart or a gook reload at 100 meters lol) or the intense pressure and claustrophobia going as pointman on a patrol in dense jungle.

Anyway Vietcong 2 was a massive letdown, I had a fill-in stint playing WOW until Arma was released (got the German release on it's day of release). I have really enjoyed Arma, and after playing OPFP with the Vietnam addon a while ago, I have been keeping my fingers crossed that a Vietnam addon would be released for Arma.

Also, it's 100% Coop play for me. I hate rambo playing and get much more out of the game playing properly with a Team Leader and a plan. Even (allthough it's no doubt good and well made) Evolution bores me, as it's too rambo.

I have also got into mission-making, and have made 2 maps so far. I am really looking forward to making some Vietnam missions!

Look forward to seeing you in-game soon.

hanky
Recruit

Post by hanky » 2007-11-12 15:14:19

A huge book that I am currently using to write stuff for the information library/readme PDF is NAM The Vietnam Experience 1965-75
It is a GIGANTIC book about the Vietnam Conflict with tons of photos and information, it even has a really nice time line in the back so you can look up important battle dates etc. If you are a Vietnam scholar in any way you should pick this book up.

TC-Roland

Post by TC-Roland » 2007-11-12 15:41:55

Can you give me the Author m8?

I will post a review score of the books I have read, but got to go to work now.

hanky
Recruit

Post by hanky » 2007-11-12 22:58:34

There is not one specific author as they used pieces written by soldier to flesh out details so here is the ISBN number. 1-56619-949-2

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-12 23:57:53

Welcome to the PMC Tactical forum TC-Roland. Indeed VTE is the greatest "Vietnam game" out there, no other come even close.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-11-13 11:49:10

Hi Roland,

My name is steve m8 and my brothers name is Ron,We both use the same Name in the forums ANZAC SAS.
We also started our Nam gaming with Vietcong.I agree m8 that it was the greatest Nam game for its time.I still play it now and again but the scale and scope of Arma/Ofp means that i rarely leave the game at all now, lol.
Looking forward to playing a couple of missions with ya m8 as it seems i/we enjoy the same style of gameplay.I dont really remember many clan names from the old Vietcong Days but i am sure we woulda played at some time in the same server , Vietcong servers werent that plentiful back then.

Good to see some Vietcong vets from the old days finding there way to this awesome game engine and Mod.

Looking forward to a mulitiple squad joint op.

Cya on the server m8.

P.S
Still got ya knife for anti-snipering ? hehe.

TC-Roland

Post by TC-Roland » 2007-11-14 04:19:15

Anzacsas - In the colossus that is the gaming world, there is NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING more ultimateley satifying than sneaking up on a gook in Vietcong and sticking the knife in!!!!!! lol :D

Occasionly we used to have one-off nights of team vs team with TC vs TMG (The Meat Grinder). To get a knife-kill on those occasions was pure gaming heaven! :D Alas, it is outdated now (more to do with the fact of 2 years solid playing).

Hanky, thanks for the ISBN number, I will trace that book. 8-)

VTE Developement

Does Arma engine support booby traps? The Vietcong were masters at improvisation and had a vast range of such devices. It would be cool if the engine supports such things. 8-)

VTE Feedback

Hope this is constructive, and I know this is only alpha release....

Positive

Well the early flight models of the Huey and the CH 47 certainly feel right.

Splendid to see some jungle other than ArmA default conifers!

Cursing when I started your server in the dark and found no NV goggles, then I remembered in the '60's they did not exist other than the cumbersome Starlight scope. Nice to see there was no anachronisms with items available before they were invented. The Starlight scope would be a nice weapon for you guys to develope though........

The addon has the Pig (M60) - need I say no more?

Negative

Lots of the trees and vegetation don't meet the ground when on slopes.

Some of the VC just look at you while you kill them.

Only played the map a few times so far, but it's looking great! Looks like a tremendous amount of work has gone into this.

hanky
Recruit

Post by hanky » 2007-11-14 05:27:38

I do not know how Snake feels about the derogatory comment but I really do not appreciate it. And your welcome for the ISBN number.

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-11-15 06:48:13

Roland seeing as you brought up Books i thought i would post a couple of books that i have read a few times and i think you guys would like if you havnt already read them.

Title-

Hit My Smoke.
(Targeting the enemy in Vietnam)

Author-

Chris-Coulthard-Clark.

This book is about Australian FAC Pilots working with U.S and Aussie Divisions in Vietnam.

Title-

The Tunnels Of CU-CHI.

Author-

Tom Mangold And John Penycate.

This book is simply a must have for any Nam/Military Buff.

Title-

The Linebacker Raids.
(the bombing of north Vietnam,1972)

Author-

John.T.Smith

This book is also a must have for understanding and analysis of the bombing campaigns in the North.IT has Comparisons and Debates about the "Desert Storm" Campaign.This covers the Last Major U.S air offensive of the War.

Title-

ChickenHawk

Author-

Robert Mason

Its about A helicopter pilot in Nam in between 1965 and 66.He flew over 1000 assault missions.

"It Will Stun Readers" TIME MAGAZINE.

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA)”