Factions overview & summary

ArmA 2 general discussion

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Factions overview & summary

Post by Snake Man » 2009-03-28 11:02:42

Today I had to get up to speed on the ArmA 2 factions.

It seems that we have now these factions available:

- USMC
- CDF
- Russia
- ChDKZ
- NAPA
- Citizens

How I see it I don't think BIS has implemented additional "sides" into the game engine, I could (and hope I am) be wrong, but in my eyes it goes like this:

BLUFOR/WEST: USMC and CDF
OPFOR/EAST: ChDKZ
Resistance/Independent: NAPA and Russia
Civilians: Citizens

That is my belief, the Russia being in resistance/ind side is a wild guess, in my view it would be most helpful in mission making if we can have big nation like Russia and those damned punk insurgents available to set hostile to what side we wish.

Or am I totally wrong and BIS implemented more "sides" to the game engine... I really think not, but man that would be cool. Although in the real mission usage, it sort of doesn't matter, I mean how many times you've had mission where there is three "sides" fighting for one "country", eh, not many times I think.

Does anyone know any facts about the "sides" in the engine, has BIS made any statements in their forum about this?

Anyways, those were my thoughts (NOT any BIS confirmed facts), here is the summary of the sections I wrote down from ArmA2.com for my own notes as perhaps I'm planning on some missions or just want to learn who's there in ArmA 2 :)

Factions

--- USMC

United States Marine Corps (USMC).

USMC deployment in Chernarus consists of 27th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable), which is supposed to overturn the balance in the civil war in the favor of Chernarussian government. Marines are skilled in assymetrical warfare and are backed up by superior weapons and technology.

* Marines wear MARPAT camouflage and are equipped with state-of-the-art personal weapons: M16A4 assault rifles, M4 carbines, SAW and M240 machineguns and many other special-purpose weapons.

* Standard part of ground forces are LAV-25 light armored personel carriers, tracked AAV armored personel carriers, and M1A2 Abrams tanks.

* Standard assortment of aircraft contains MV-22 Osprey transport convertoplanes, MH-60S Seaknight and UH-1Y Venom transport helicopters. Super Cobra assault choppers and F-35 VTOL fighters fly in attack and CAS roles.

* Force Reconnaisance detachment is assigned to 27th MEU to provide extra support to operation Harvest Red. Men of Force Recon have exquisite training for recon and surveillance missions, direct actions deep in enemy territory as well as dealing with local population.

* Marines in field rely on many advanced weapon platforms: Predator unmanned aerial vehicles, MLRS rocket artillery and many more.

--- CDF

Chernarussian Defence Forces (CDF).

Chernarussian military has been trained by Western armies in past years, but it retains weapons and equipment of the Soviet Army, its direct predecessor. Its main task during the past years for was to fight challenging counter-insurgecy campaign in the mountaineous regions of Northern Chernarus.

* Equipment of CDF soldiers is a mixture of older gear, modern kevlar helmets and camouflage fatigues based on Soviet airborne uniform design. Soldiers are armed with AK-74 rifles, PKMs and other personal weapons of Eastern provenience.

* CDF uses whole spectrum of Cold-War era vehicles: T-72 main battle tanks, BRDM-2 and BMP-2 personel carriers, UAZ cars and Ural trucks.

* High mobility of CDF troops in the mountains is ensured by Mi-17 transport helos. Close air support is provided by Su-25 attack jets and Mi-24 Hind helicopters.

* Although there are no „special forces“, Chernarussian soldiers always serve in place of their origin and thus know local conditions, which is especially useful for protecting locals against extremists.

* Recent training with NATO armies and foreign help enables CDF to cooperate with USMC and efficiently fight the insurgency.

--- Russia

Russian Armed Forces

Russian contingent of Chernarussian Peacekeeping Forces consists of elite Guard Motor Rifle battalion, reinforced by armor, artillery and attack helicopter detachments. Based on their previous experience with counter-guerilla operations, Russians also make good use of special forces.

* Russian soldiers wear Flora woodland pattern and modern load-bearing vests combined with older protective gear. They are armed with AK-107 assault rifles, rugged PKM machineguns, RPG-18s and RPG-7s with modern warheads.

* Special Forces (Spetsnaz) are battle-hardened veterans who wear unique „Gorka" fatigues and use special silenced weapons, sniper rifles and explosives. They are trained in counter-terrorist ops, speak Chernarussian and allegedly have operated in the area for a long time.

* Contingent of Russian troops is equipped with T-90 main battle tanks and modern armored personnel carriers: wheeled Vodniks and BTR-90 and sturdy and powerful tracked BMP-3.

* Russian tactics also rely on Mi-24 Hind and Ka-52 „Alligator" air assault helicopters and heavily armed Mi-8M transport choppers. Su-25 is available for close air support.

* Support consists of mortar and rocket artillery detachment, Pchela UAV is also available for aerial reconnaissance.

--- ChDKZ

Chernarussian Movement of the Red Star (ChDKZ).

Although the communist insurgency has its roots as an underground movement, it is now a conventional force with military structure and weapon platforms captured from the Chernarussian government or provided by international arms dealers. This has given ChDKZ enough power to start a coup against the government.

* Insurgents wear various old fatigues of Russian origin, commonly in an urban color scheme. They are armed with a variety of personal weapons, ranging from old AKMs to captured AK-74s. Anti-tank and anti-armor launchers of various types are commonly used as the ChDKZ purchases them from arms dealers in great numbers.

* Insurgents lack the logistic infrastructure of a modern army, therefore the vehicles they use don't appear in great numbers and troops have only limited support, artillery is rather rare.

* Insurgents use mostly older Eastern combat vehicles captured from government forces. Hand-made camouflage spray-paint is often used on their vehicles.

* ChDKZ also uses various captured aircraft, but its deployment is limited to a small part of Chernarus, far from government air bases.

* Insurgents are organized into regional task forces, which are lead by and named after field warlords who are direct subordinates of „Akula" (Shark), supreme leader of ChDKZ.

--- NAPA

National Party (NAPA).

Nationalist guerillas of the National Party is an underground movement lacking sophisticated weapons, but their knowledge of the country, military expertise from civil war and underground network make them serious opponents to both communist guerillas and government forces.

* Guerillas use a mixture of civilian and military clothing and light equipment; anti-tank weapons are rare and consist mostly of RPG-7 stolen from Chernarussian military. Occasionally, better weapons purchased from weapons dealers are in use.

* They commonly use balaclavas, ski masks or bandanas to cover their faces to avoid identification.

* Favorite weapons are the old and reliable AK-47; many local guerillas also use hunting rifles. Important part of NAPA arsenal are also various IEDs, RPG-7 anti-tank launchers or home-made explosives.

* Guerillas use mostly hit-and-run tactics; they disappear soon after they strike.

* Heavy equipment is usually makeshift originals, stored in safe houses and forest camps deep in the mountains.

--- Citizens

Citizens of Chernarus

The proud people of Chernarus were divided by the civil war and its consequences. A majority of Chernarussian citizens are of Chernarussian nationality, with their own language and culture. There is also an ethnic Russian minority living mainly in the northern territories, where Russian is the second official language. People are also divided by their political alignments and sympathies.
Citizen

* Chernarussians are mostly villagers or foresters. City people from the coast work mainly in harbours and factories.

* After the civil war, life is equally boring everywhere: not much remains of the few cultural events and entertainment the distant Northern Province previously had to offer.

* Citizens are quite friendly to soldiers, sometimes even providing valuable intel. However, they rarely speak English, so knowledge of Chernarussian or Russian really helps.

* Causing any harm to the civilian population could lead to a loss of support and hostility towards the soldiers. Improper behavior towards the local women might cause a very rude response.

* Chernarussian Bigfoot is often said to be spotted in the mountains of Northern Chernarus.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."