My rifle shoots off target and is aligned incorrectly

ArmA editing, missions, modeling, textures, terrains

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

My rifle shoots off target and is aligned incorrectly

Post by Snake Man » 2008-09-07 12:21:58

If your infantry rifle is shooting off target, or its aligned incorrectly from soldiers hands or the sights just dont fit properly... here is some tips.

Resolution LODs

First of all you should check that all the LODs are pretty much at the same alignment, so that there is no "warping" of the model when LODs change. Then the rifle should be aligned straight and level so that the tip of barrel is not higher than the backend (butt).

Memory LOD

This is very important part of weapon modeling. The most basic and important memory points in the memory lod are:

eye
konec hlavne
nabojniceend
nabojnicestart
usti hlavne

The names of the selections I believe can be changed on ArmA now, you dont have to use those weird nabjniblabla things in there, these values should be in the model.cfg file and you can (I think) name them as you want.

eye is placed where shooters eye would be and in the center of the sights where you want the round to hit. If I'm correct the distance to the eye point also effects how closely you view the gun in V view ingame.

konec hlavne which sounds like end of barrel, is really not that, its the beginning of the barrel (bullet wise at least), in the middle of the gun (this is linked to the bullet barrel exiting trajectory using usti hlavne).

usti hlavne is the tip of the barrel, where the bullet comes out (this is linked to the bullet barrel exiting trajectory using konec hlavne).

nabojniceend, is where the shell casing is flying. I'm not sure but I assume the distance between these points adjust the velocity it flies.

nabojnicestart is the starting location where the shell casing is ejected.

model.cfg

This file is where you configure all the animations like magazine hidden during reloading, moving trigger and bolts etc. Here is small set of class CfgSkeletons we are currently using:

Code: Select all

class VTE_M60Bones
	{
		isDiscrete = 0;
		skeletonInherit = "";
		skeletonBones[] = 
		{
			"magazine","",
			"belt_rotation","",
			"trigger","",
			"bolt",""
		};
	};
And then CfgModels for the same:

Code: Select all

class Animations
		{
			class reload_magazine
			{
				type = "hide";
				source = "reloadMagazine";
				selection = "magazine";
				hidevalue = 0.10;
			};
			class trigger
			{
				type = "rotationZ";
				source = "reload";
				selection = "trigger";
				axis = "trigger_axis";
				minValue = 0;
				maxValue = 3;
				angle0 = 0;
				angle1 = -3;
			};
			class bolt
			{
				type = "translation";
				source = "reload";
				selection = "bolt";
				axis = "bolt_axis";
				begin = "bolt_axis_begin";
				end = "bolt_axis_end";
				minValue = 0;
				maxValue = "1";
				offset0 = "0";
				offset1 = "1";
			};
		};
So anyways to get into the point. If your rifle shoots off target, most likely its because the konec hlavne, usti hlavne and eye memory points are aligned incorrectly. Simplest fix is to check the eye, but if you still have sights off, check that the other two are aligned properly.

To do this align the usti hlavne perfectly to the center of the guns barrel's tip, then align for example in the O2 back view the konec hlavne so these two points look like they are the same, ie perfectly aligned viewed from back or front.

Now your rifle should shoot straight into the target sights and look OK when using V weapon view :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."