HexEdit of AF .cam file version number report w TacEdit 2.46

F4Browse, CATE, Tacedit, Terrainview & TheaterMaker etc utility related

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

HexEdit of AF .cam file version number report w TacEdit 2.46

Post by Sherlock » 2006-12-19 07:37:27

I tried changing the version number in the Allied Force .cam file today to see if TacEdit 2.46 would open it. It didn't work. I was able to finally get the file to sorta open but there were so many intermediatary errors that by the time all the errors were done, there was very little data available ( I think a bridge and a ground unit...).

So we now know that more changes were made to the .cam files other than just reving the version number.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Post by Snake Man » 2006-12-19 08:06:06

Have LP guys posted any feature lists which might suggest what these changes to the fileformat are?

I'm just thinking dumbly that if the original F4 (meaning the 1998 one) files work okay, whats the big deal just to use them until some future day might or might not come when LP decides to release the updated tools or file format to public.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Post by Sherlock » 2006-12-19 15:43:39

Snake Man wrote:Have LP guys posted any feature lists which might suggest what these changes to the fileformat are?

I'm just thinking dumbly that if the original F4 (meaning the 1998 one) files work okay, whats the big deal just to use them until some future day might or might not come when LP decides to release the updated tools or file format to public.
At this point that is our only option (using the sp4.2 cams). What we miss out on is anything that LP has stuck into the newer versions that is inaccessible to us and, therefore, unuseable.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto