Perl Scripts

F4Browse, CATE, Tacedit, Terrainview & TheaterMaker etc utility related

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Perl Scripts

Post by Guest » 2000-08-23 14:39:00

Hi,

I installed Perl (build 616) on my PC (win98), for the first time ever, and tried to run the Perl scripts.

The terrain feature scripts (procppp.pl and procae.pl) work fine, no problems, but I couldn't make the DEM script (dem2lf.pl) to work.

The script is looking for for a file, MD5.pm (some RSA thing?), and can't work without it.
Since the perl install was really clean and without any suspicious history of older perl versions - I can only assume that this is an optional component that can be downloaded somewhere. Any ideas where?

(and once again linux users have another built-in advantage...) :)

In the mean-time, could anyone please help me with the DEM conversion, and create the TerrainView files for me?

The coordinates are:
left_map_x - 30.2
right_map_x - 40.2
upper_map_y - 35.8
lower_map_y - 25.8

Yep it's Israel, close to Death-119's, but not quite - all of Cyprus is included, but without any loose ends from Turkey, and I cut a tiny bit from the west (east of Alexandria) in favor of more airspace around the Iraqi H-3).

Anyway, I'm doing this as a pastime on my spare time. Any help with the DEM is welcome, Thanks.

Re: Perl Scripts

Post by Guest » 2000-08-24 01:05:00

ok done. email me at nospam so I can reply to you with the zip packet (1.5mb) which contains the L2, O2 and terrain feature files.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-24 02:37:00

Hi Daab,
Welcome join f4 community!
Ready to add f4 page on your site? :)
You are the guy to task Israel theater! Hurry up! :D

Post by Guest » 2000-08-25 18:57:00

First, make sure you are connected to the internet, dialup, etc.

In your perl\bin directory, type "ppm" and hit enter. The command prompt will look like:

PPM>

Now type "install md5" and hit enter.

The program will connect to the perl site, download the package, and install it (all in about 5 seconds with a cable modem). Self installing software is a nice switch! :)

Hope this helps.

doogman

Post by Guest » 2000-08-26 21:06:00

Doogman,i had tried some time earlier what you said but the L2 file did not appear correctly on Terrianview.Any thoughts?

Post by Guest » 2000-08-27 18:34:00

You may have a perl script dem2lf.pl that is not working properly. According to Julian (and first hand experience) the routine in the script that detects if your on an intel or motorola is not working up to par as of yet. You have to manually edit the dem2lf.pl script to tell it that you are using intel. This is only the case if you are using a windows based platform I believe. Anyway here is what Julian said on egroups about it:

basically its in the getaltitude routine. It should unpack an 's' on
the PC - it does unpack("s", pack("n", unpack("v")) to byte swap on unix.

so the getaltitude routine should be:

sub getaltitude {
my($alt);
$alt = unpack("s", $_[0]);
$alt *= 3.280840; # convert metres to feet
return $alt;
}

I hope that is what you were looking for.

Doogman

Post by Guest » 2000-08-27 20:27:00

> Doogman,i had tried some time earlier what
> you said but the L2 file did not appear
> correctly on Terrianview.Any thoughts?

What does it look like, can you give us screenshot?
(load up terrainview, hit print screen key and paste to some paint-program).

Did the L2 file work ok that I sent you?

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-29 07:32:00

I tried what Doogman posted and it worked fine.Thanks a lot guys.

Verde13