Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Oliver
Recruit

Central European Campaign

Post by Oliver » 2001-02-13 08:15:00

Hi!
Sorry, this sort of collides with the
"Post your theatres here"-thread.

In that thread I saw that someone was working on a East/West Germany map of the cold war era. Great idea, that's one scenario I was also waiting for!
I have one question however: It is possible to do 256x256 sized maps, isn't it. How much of Europe could you cover with that?

The reason I ask is because I always was fascinated by Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising" ("Im Sturm" for the Germans out there). It would be great to make that campaign a reality within the F4 world. The problem is that you probably need not only Germany and Eastern Europe, but also the UK, Iceland, Scandinavia and possibly even the Kola peninsula. Even without knowing anything about creating theatre maps, even a 256^2 map won't be enough for the whole area.
Anyway, maybe someone gets inspirated by my
rambling... ;-)

ccc
Chief of Staff

Re: Central European Campaign

Post by ccc » 2001-02-13 08:58:00

Oliver,
Im afraid f4 engine cant run campaign on 256 map. Too many unit and their movement to calculate in real time!!!
Even 128 map campaign isnt proved to be a reality.

Oliver
Recruit

Post by Oliver » 2001-02-13 09:16:00

quote:
Im afraid f4 engine cant run campaign on 256 map. Too many unit and their movement to calculate in real time!!!
Even 128 map campaign isnt proved to be a reality.
Ooh, what a shame. :-( Splitting the campaign probably wouldn't work either, would it? I mean, gameplay would suck, without knowing the "big picture". OTOH, real soldiers wouldn't know anything about it, too, so there'd be a bit of realism there ;-)
But the "small" (prize-understatement there)campaigns are already in the works. Let's see: Scandinavia/Russia - just read about that 5 minutes ago in this forum; BRD/DDR - well, there was some talk about that in here, too. UK might be not so important anyway, at least as far as the -16s are concerned.
Well, someday.... but all those Israel / ODS scenarios are getting boring after a while. I mean, we already played them to death in Falcon 3 (and ODS in Tornado, too ;-) ). I'd be really grateful for a totally new idea. The Japan/Russia conflict in Falcon3 was great, for example.

Anyway, thanks for the answer,
see you,
Oliver

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-02-13 09:44:00

well, I played F3 in those days too, yet im looking foward to the same theaters in F4.
the game engine is much different, means a totally new depth of gaming, and much better visuals/sound effects.
I still remember in f3 days, i typed and mailed Holobyte Spectrum my dream about falcon series, a similar concept of open sim. Im glad we almost get there with f4, with incredible investment from all mod-makers! Image
As for Jpn/Russia theater..We'd better wait carrier op work first(so we can launch Su33 or Mig29K from Kuz), and some trains running along the coast of Hokkaido(hehe Just visited there)!
Hmmm.. no native Japanese falconners want to make it? Image

[This message has been edited by ccc (edited February 13, 2001).]

Oliver
Recruit

Post by Oliver » 2001-02-13 10:17:00

quote:
As for Jpn/Russia theater..We'd better wait carrier op work first(so we can launch Su33 or Mig29K from Kuz), and some trains running along the coast of Hokkaido(hehe Just visited there)!
Okay, call me stupid, but I just got back to F4 two days ago ('cause I found out that the 108us patch works with the German version too. Never realized before that there is a F4 mod community out ;-) ), so what's Carrier Ops? Another mod? Another Sim?

BTW: Truly great work done by all the mod'ers. But looks like I have to learn flying again before I'll have any fun with them... :-)

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-02-13 12:43:00

quote:Originally posted by Oliver:
what's Carrier Ops? Another mod? Another Sim?

carrier operation: landable deck, catapult launch, 5 wires, deflectors, a/c movement on the dec, deck op AI, etc. The incomplete part of f4 world.

nope, we hope talented guys could patch this part. first, get a landable deck, second, physical modules to enable cat launch and recovery, third, interactive a/c, tower, LSO, on the deck. my dream... (of course, you can have them all in DISH or JF18)

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2001-02-13 19:23:00

Hey, if some day you do the european theatre, im doing a new skin for the F-4E with the European One camoflage, its based on an old skin of an RF-4C, but after doing it i noticed that all the old RF-4C's were sold to Spain (it's cool because this is my hometown and i didnt know that), i have edited it a lot, i hope you like it, i send some screenshoots...

This a just templates, dont know if im gonna leave the cockpit white or if i will paint the pilots and everything.

ComGP

Widowmaker
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by Widowmaker » 2001-02-13 19:34:00

Looks very good
and yes paint the pilots..........

Widowmaker
Widmak

Tazz
Lt Colonel

Post by Tazz » 2001-02-27 13:35:00

Good news: I'm still alive but that's about it. Image

Bad news I'm currently swamped in work.. university gradation, regular work, possible career change.. I just do not have time to work on the European theater. If someone wants to continue, I'll help where I can with all the books and info I have at home. All I do now is work, eat and sleep and I still have to write my scription somewhere in the middle.
Tazz
87th VFW
Stray Dogs
www.87th.org