Using the Wayback Machine

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

ranger822
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Using the Wayback Machine

Post by ranger822 » 2007-12-18 14:28:28

Just a reminder that the Wayback Machine is alive and well - - this internet archive looks to be around for quite a while -- and it seems to have quite a bit of stuff stored from old websites for quite a few years back now. It seem to serve a similar purpose as the PMC site to be a long term repository for information. Therefore, I think referencing it is probably at least as safe as any site can be.

My most recent example of the effectiveness of using this site was today. I noticed that several files files at the OpenSkins site had broken links - I just copied the links and then used the wayback machine's search engine and was able to retrieve some files in a matter of seconds.

the link for the Wayback Machine - (Snakeman don't shoot me and feel free to pull the link if you want but I think the link has a rather low risk of disappearing any time in the next few years.)

http://www.archive.org/index.php

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-18 15:53:27

Well its not about disappearing link, more likely that what that site has got to do with Falcon 4?
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ranger822
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Wayback Machine

Post by ranger822 » 2007-12-19 04:37:53

well the short answer is every Falcon file, download, pics, etc is probably stored somewhere in the 400 PCs that are linked together to created the MEGA Terabyte archive/database - - so if you recall something that you want and can no longer find it - - that is a great place to search.

A bit longer answer is, like I said - in less than 5 minutes I located 4 previously "lost" PSD files for Falcon. So, old Falcon material is probably never lost - you just need to find the "old" address. To my way of thinking that is sort of the idea behind PMC - a central repository for knowledge of Falcon. You are kicking ass getting the core downloads for do stuff - but there is still more out there, some old, some new. So, the wayback machine is just another tool to help Falcon developing. You keep asking about files and stuff getting it from people - well it is out there - somewhere.

Return to “Falcon 4 General”