Winning Campaigns??

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

marvin157th
1st Lt

Winning Campaigns??

Post by marvin157th » 2007-09-19 18:02:05

Hey guys,

In all the years since 1997 I have to say that I have only one Korean Campaigns. That being said, I have not seriously flown the stock Korean campaign in many, many years. Although I have loved Balkans,ODS, and messed around with Afghanistan (My favorite although alpha stage) I have to be honest and say I never really won a campaign, or put that much time into one campaign to try and see if it is possible. Falcon and theaters, have changed so many times over the years I don't think I actually invested the dedication to test this theory.

I have heard that the campaign engine works best with the defualt Korea theater. I understood this as meaning addon theaters do not work as advertised properly. They have always generated ATOs properly, but can you actually win a campaign?

So I ask, has anyone actually won a campaign in ODS, Balkans, Afghanistan etc? I am currently in day 4 of a Balkans campaign with OF 4.5 and we are pounding the crap out of the enemy, all their resources are almost gone, have complete air superiority, and yet are gaining no grounds as my ground vehicles are not advancing?

Jody

ranger822
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Campaign Progress

Post by ranger822 » 2007-09-19 18:36:03

If memory serves me - I think several campaigns suffer the same stalling characteristics. There are several threads that address this. ITO is no different. CCC, to my knowledge is probalby the only one to fully test ITO to this stalling point . . . while the campaigns do work - at least for the first few days, we still need to figure out what isn't working in the long term... possibly problems include bad/broken links of some sort, maybe supplies can't get thru, something wrong with adequate numbers. Maybe critical units are not present where they need to be. Unfortunately, the bulk of effort in coding and campaign is not directed towards a better understanding of this problem - so we have lots of neat bells and whistles but the basic stuff remains a mystery for stuff outside of Korea Theater.

We know that some units must be present in order for certain things to occur. I.e. you can't build a TE with a C-130 without placing some troops/supplies somewhere to apparently justify the mission . . . lots of stuff I don't understand but it is in there - -if we understood better how the campaign engine works we might be better able to build campaigns that will provide a win, loss, or draw - instead of a stall.

marvin157th
1st Lt

Post by marvin157th » 2007-09-19 19:00:59

Ranger,

Good points.. I mean all honesty, I fly the campaigns more as mission generators. What I mean by that is, I had my fun in the early days perfecting strategies to win campaigns, and enjoyed seeing the handshake photo where you learned you won a campaign. Now a days, as I said previously I enjoy just flying a mission where I cannot fully anticipate everythign that will happen. So having a campaign is great for this as it just generates missions where I have to put minimal work, and have fun not anticipating what will happen, hence a dynamic campaign. But I have always wondered as you wrote what makes it work better. For example, I find that if I alter the PAKs or ATOs I get less and less missions. But if I let the HQ control the missions it will at least keep generating missions, however not as many as Korea campaigns will.

I have learned recently that a campaign does neet cargo planes, as I forgot to add C-17s or C-130s to my ATO, and noticed it fragged KC-10s and KC-135s for this tasking.

While working on early campaign test with Rob for his OIF theater I have runned tests with a realistic ATO, and to my surprise the engine will still generate missions with great distance (such as Qatar to Baghdad). However the problem I had was tankers and cargo jets were flying across Iraq to conduct drops in Turkey. I never did find a way to get them to go around Iraq.

Just before I went to Afghanistan I started to build a realistic OF Allied Force campaign (This was my reason for editing the ATC for Aviano etc) my plan was to build the campaign with very little or next to none friendly ground units hence building a realistic Allied Force campaign. But of course no one knew what would happen. But of course I went to Afghanistan and never continued my work, yet. So I am still curious how that will work; if you can actually force ground units to retreat back to their safe zone with A/A bombings.

Jody

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-09-19 20:30:09

can you actually win a campaign?
Yes.

Click for image
have complete air superiority, and yet are gaining no grounds as my ground vehicles are not advancing?
Who knows why this is...

In the next versions of our theaters it is my goal to make sure there is solid and documented victory conditions so we can cut the rumours of broken campaigns. Yes the ground unit movement is still a issue, but at least the campaign is setup properly.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-09-20 09:42:47

most RV korea campaigns are winable. get Wonson and P'yongyang.

PMC-ODS1991 is winable. just capture Kuwait city.

that's all.

Return to “Falcon 4 General”