Database Update vs Campaign

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

ranger822
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Database Update vs Campaign

Post by ranger822 » 2007-09-17 18:18:51

If I update the database with new CT entries for aircraft and units (Flight and Squadron) how do I update my old campaigns to make use of these new CTs in the database? Hopefully it is something simple.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-09-17 18:44:44

Hmm good question... of course if you use TCL's then its easy, replace the CT's in them and create the campaign. If you dont... then you should! (hehe ok joke), I guess there is only the manual method of removing old unit and replacing with new, I cant think of a way how to change the CT's otherwise.

In anycase I believe truly that only sane method of creating campaigns is through TCL, so if the example cases campaign is NOT made with TCL scripts, then the developer have to re-make the campaign with them, once thats done, editing/tweaking the campaign is dead easy when you work with the simple TCL scripts.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ranger822
Banned user

Use of TCL Scripts

Post by ranger822 » 2007-09-18 14:52:32

Peled wrote me and indicated he had problems with squadrons placement with TCLs. He indicated he wound up doing them manually. In my case, I have added a new vehicle CT for the Mig21MF and then also added the flight and squadron CTs as well. To really complicate things just a bit more I reassigned different variants of Mig21's to the Mig-21 CTs (just about all of them). However, it really doesn't seem like a lot of work to do such small numbers so maybe that thas is easy enough.

What I am really looking for is the exact steps to take to accomplish the task manually: Here is a rough guess of how I presume it would be done

1) open Tacedit
2) open save0.cam
3) locate squadrons and change the CTs (Ids or something I guess)
4) add new squadron (vehicle and unit (flight/squadron))
5) rebuild squadrons fucntion?
6) save and close
7) repeat for save1.cam and save2.cam

Understanding how to accomplish this seemingly simple fucntion would seem to be important if I am going to build new databases and test them, modify them etc.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Re: Use of TCL Scripts

Post by Snake Man » 2007-09-18 16:19:22

ranger822 wrote:Peled wrote me and indicated he had problems with squadrons placement with TCLs.
I cant think any reason, I'd be interested to hear what was causing the problems?
3) locate squadrons and change the CTs (Ids or something I guess)
Apparently its in the Squadron -> Base Object -> Class ID part, just change that and rebuild squadrons, it should work then ok (I hope).

However the TCL method is the way to go, nothing changes that. Maybe we could even change the CT's with them, but I dont know the commands if there are any.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ranger822
Banned user

Ranger's moving into Campaigning

Post by ranger822 » 2007-09-18 21:19:52

as the title says - this is my next area of interest - - I hope to master this area as you and Peled have done . . . it really is the cream of developing Falcon and I have always wanted to step into it. Now that I feell like I have a better understanding (not complete mind you) of Falcon - this part should be very fun indeed.

Return to “Falcon 4 General”