So what is the plan to get this Theater show rolling?

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Sherlock » 2007-10-17 21:23:05

Snake Man wrote:I was just wondering what is the theater status beyond me, I mean as there has been no work done by me right now since the last releases, I havent received any files, artwork, nothing from anyone since then... so, is the scenario, future, plan, facts of life as so, that if I dont make things happen, nothing will happen?

I got no problem with that really, but would be kind of nice feeling to get some support from someone. Yes I know I've had great support from many people since the comeback, but I'm talking about AFTER the Vietnam v0.9 release, as I have not received any work since then. Have the trolls of frugal scared everyone away or what :o

So what happens next? I'll start a another dev cycle, post some annoying dev diarys and we wait if someone steps up and offers to help?

Anyways.

As I said, havent done any theater work since Vietnam v0.9, well ok the installer fix but thats not really a work. I was thinking that every day that goes by there is "broken installers" out there, we might as well create new installers with the new terrain rebuilder that allows people to install these theaters to all versions properly. Of course releasing for example new ODS with just this tiny fix but the download being so large, is kind of... lame sort of. Of course its quite essential fix to have it to be installed to those AF only guys. Dunno...
I won't be available to do anything for quite some time due to Real Life concerns. Sorry.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-21 05:16:00

I been thinking in past few days... as I've played some combat autopilot "real time video" entertainment for myself in Vietnam theater v0.9 for a small breaks from ArmA editing (which takes my time completely at the moment)... been thinking that christmas is coming and we have those broken installers still out there and maybe some people think we've given up as its been so quiet or whatever, so...

How about PMC releasing all the theaters with the AF installer fix and anykind of fixes someone is willing to contribute or I have time to implement?

What I mean more specificly is that we have now the Tom Waelti HTTI.exe installer which works OK without any work, we just need to clear this with him that we have permissions to use it (there was some vaque rumours it being commercial or something?), then Fafa has been making great deal of editing for ODS OF side and those files would be available as there are already one fixed rar supplied to me. Finally I made just couple of changes for Vietnam historical campaign's aircraft selections (F4E instead F4ESK, kind of things). And who knows if I could spare the couple of hours to fix the few ODS airbase tile palette errors too, but no promises about that.

So basically I'm asking that if anyone has any edited files/content to provide for the Xmas present releases, please post here and let us know about it. Also it would be very nice if someone would summarize from the troll forums, here and you know from the official bug lists the lets say Top-3 major bugs in all theaters, we (well I) would evaluate if there is time/capability to fix them before release.

Lets make this warm christmas for Falcon 4? :o
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-11-21 14:56:24

hmm... if you ask for the top first bug.. i'd say.. make new campaigns can reach a win or lose end.

i know it's no easy job.. maybe try to fix one or two before Xmas?

ranger822
Banned user

major bug on my list

Post by ranger822 » 2007-11-21 21:58:28

I concur with CCC - need to get win-lose campaigns. Everything else is secondary. We have thousands of hours of great work but . . .

If you really want fix falcon bugs in a big way hold an annual world conference. Everyone who is serious, meets for a few days with row of networked computers linked, we could solve lots of things. Adopt a common exe, assign database CTs, Parent, textures, etc. Conduct a developers workshop for all areas. Well, just an idea anyway. :D

We need a dedicated FTP for Falcon - something we can rely on that isn't going away, something fast and very reliable with some sort of redundency mirror etc. Too allow easy, fast transfer of beta testing stuff. Archive for folks like Fafa. I really don't like the idea of losing valuable developers becasue there are some many technical hurdles to the process. So, yeah FTP would be a really nice holiday gift too.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-30 00:14:15

I can now confirm that PMC is going to give Falcon 4 community a christmas present of new version for all of our theaters.

Start monitor our forums individual theater areas for more specific details of development. Anyone willing to help, even in bug reports, historical/realism tips etc etc... is very welcome to do so.

I think this X-mas will be very nice :)

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

ranger822
Banned user

X-mas Present

Post by ranger822 » 2007-11-30 12:42:36

Most excellent SM!!!!

I wish I could confirm a ready-to-go RV-ITO but I think we still have a little ways to go on that. But, it is a WIP. :D

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-12 09:17:23

I'm very disappointed that the Korea 128 release candidate 1 has gotten no feedback :(

I mean I've got my hands full just putting these last fixes together in the installer, there is no way I'm able to spare time on thorough testing and in any case second pair of eyes always finds the problems what burnt out developer doesnt consider worth mentioning etc. Now I have Afghanistan v0.3 release candidate 1 ready to go into the server but I'm thinking for what... if there is no feedback why not remove the _RC1 from the filename/readme and just put it out and say merry xmas.

I would really really appreciate if someone tried out the latest release candidate(s) and report back of how it works. There is very little time before christmas and we still have three big theaters to go through (big meaning download sizes).

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-12-12 10:30:13

err.. i'll check korea128 later - i am occupied by taiwan campaigns.. all work fine so far.

ranger822
Banned user

Feedback

Post by ranger822 » 2007-12-12 12:23:05

uh- I am still waiting on feedback from ITO2 from last Feb 2007 :shock:

I guess if that is any indication maybe don't wait for "the masses" just do your best, which is way better than we all deserve. Just because folks don't provide feed doesn't necessarily mean they aren't playing/using it. If something is really broke someone is sure to screem bloody murder.

Return to “Falcon 4 General”