F4 Allied Force graphics goes haywire then CTD

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

F4 Allied Force graphics goes haywire then CTD

Post by Snake Man » 2006-12-26 20:30:42

My hardware is AMD XP2800+, 1gb ram, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb. Win XP service pack 1. Graphics drivers were before catalyst 06.9 but now I just updated to 06.12. Falcon 4 Allied Force is stock default from cd install, then successfully patched to v1.09 from LP pages.

When I start the stock default Korean campaign in 1024x768 resolution its not too long before (sometimes very quickly, sometimes like 10min on mission) I start to get graphics glitches like cockpit all messed up and aircrafts have their fuselage textures all messed up, all in all the textures go haywire badly. After this either by itself, or ESC -> E(nd mission) I'll get CTD or if you can call it that as few times its rebooted my whole computer.

Many, if not all, users say that F4AF is very stable... but surely it is not on my computer.

Has anyone seen similar issues?
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Re: F4 Allied Force graphics goes haywire then CTD

Post by Sherlock » 2006-12-26 21:35:17

Snake Man wrote:My hardware is AMD XP2800+, 1gb ram, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb. Win XP service pack 1. Graphics drivers were before catalyst 06.9 but now I just updated to 06.12. Falcon 4 Allied Force is stock default from cd install, then successfully patched to v1.09 from LP pages.

When I start the stock default Korean campaign in 1024x768 resolution its not too long before (sometimes very quickly, sometimes like 10min on mission) I start to get graphics glitches like cockpit all messed up and aircrafts have their fuselage textures all messed up, all in all the textures go haywire badly. After this either by itself, or ESC -> E(nd mission) I'll get CTD or if you can call it that as few times its rebooted my whole computer.

Many, if not all, users say that F4AF is very stable... but surely it is not on my computer.

Has anyone seen similar issues?
SM,
do you have problems when running other programs that tax your system graphics (like OFP)?

The fact that things don't happen everytime when you boot up and and usually after a few minutes is classic overheating scenario...
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Post by Snake Man » 2006-12-27 14:50:20

I have no problems running any other game, but of course my list of games include OFP, ArmA and Silent Hunter III. And then for some brainless test runs and "just for fun" I've had Hitman Blood money installed once. I did try out few other new games too during the year but none of them stayed in my hdd for longer than one night and during that time they had no problems running.

So while the overheating would be good quick cause, since the fan IS broken in my radeon making terrible noise, its kind of conflicting then why for example I can run SH3 or ArmA without problems which are just terrible on graphics card.

I mean, for crying out loud F4 engine is from 1998 graphics wise GENERALLY, LP did add clouds but thats about it, the core engine is still the steam powered cardboard-men-flat-terrain type of pale thing.

Hmm, its really a nuisance if F4AF won't run on my machine. I need to fetch the original 1998 Falcon 4 from somewhere quickly to install it and give it a test run.

All tweaking suggestions are welcome, I'd like to enjoy the well advertised stability of F4AF.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Return to “Falcon 4 General”