Found Out How To Fix CTD's

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Swick
Recruit

Found Out How To Fix CTD's

Post by Swick » 2003-11-02 02:44:00

Hey All,
I was doing some "debugging" for the last 2 days and have found out why a lot, or atleast some, of CTD's happen (Not counting programming glitches). I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but, if you do experiance unexplained CTD's and you have 512 megs of ram (Or More), I suggest you turn off Virtual Memory COMPLETLY! It seems that F4, and all add-on's, theaters, etc... write to the virtual memory before going to the physical memory (RAM). Once it uses all the Virtual Memory, it switches to RAM, and during this "SWITCH", the machine stutters and causes the game to Crash To The Desktop. The best solution is to turn off the Virtual Memory completly! If you use Win2k or WinXP, Right Click on My Computer, then click on the "Advanced Tab", then click on the settings option under the Performance heading. Once in there, click on the Advanced Tab, then click on the "Change" button under Virtual Memory Heading. From there you may set your Virtual Memory to whatever you want. But be aware that changing this may cause your system to become very slow if you do not have enough physical ram in your machine. You can also go one step further and tweak the registry to use the physical ram more efficiantly! Keep in mind, this is just a suggestion, changes to the registry can cause HARMFUL side affects if you don't know what you are doing, so be careful!!! (You Have Been Warned) Hope This Helps!
Swick
The CIA: "We Read Your Email So You Don't Have To... :-)"
If at first you don''t succeed,
well, so much for skydiving.... :)

Return to “Falcon 4 General”