New ODS version announced - v0.6

Operation Desert Storm theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

New ODS version announced - v0.6

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-30 11:12:09

Operation Desert Storm theater is soon getting a new release... v0.6

Here is the changelog so far

Code: Select all

--- fixes v0.6
- CATE AB config added for new airbases, not totally complete but near.
- added several airbase tiles for several terrain types.
- tile hwrod20b offset 1319 is missing, fixed.
- tile hwrod20d offset 1321 is missing, fixed.
- CATE AB config fixed for 23_05 airbase type desert.
- CATE AB config fixed for KIMPO airbase type desert.
- CATE AB config fixed for Sunan airbase type desert.
- CATE AB config fixed for 32_14 airbase type desert.
Since this new release is the first release to come into the RedViper, OpenFalcon and Falcon 4 Allied Force installer type, we will have to drop out the old SP4 database edits and skins. This means historical aircraft loadouts for 1991 will not be there. We will plan to add them later when the complete understanding for all these various F4 versions is reached, its not that easy to do database and skins for three different versions on same installer, but I'll do my best to achieve that in the future.

The changelog of fixes dont look too impressive at the moment, but I'll try to add as much tweaking for the terrain I can before the release. Its also worth to mention that the above list is not absolutely accurate, there is additional fixes/changes but they are not listed (shame on me).

The goal of this release is easy to install and maximum enjoyment of playability for the three different F4 versions. We want to get this theater up and running so users get to enjoy it while we search for bugs and develop the theater further.

If there is anyone whos willing to help develop this or other theaters, feel free to get in touch with me. Even if you only can provide research info or bug reports, they are very helpful and welcome. If you have any info on some bugs, please post them into ODS v0.512 bug reports topic and we'll do our best to try to fix them. If you dont have account in PMC Tactical forum, you need to ask me to add you there manually.

Estimated time to release is momentarily, meaning; during this weekend or next few days. I will compile the installer and put all the latest files in, test it on RV and AF so its enjoyble without any critical bugs, then its ready to ship out. The release will include the monster 512x512 resolution texture tiles zip, which means propably about 250mb worth of downloading just for the tiles, plus then the rest of the theater files. Guys, prepare for large download (luckily same terrain tiles can then be used for Iran theater too). If anyone has ftp/http server (or other way) for mirroring, please I'm begging you to help me out to distribute this theater.

This is also public heads up for all the PMC Theater Developer team guys to shape up and deliver all the last minute edits in so they can be included in this release.

Now, lets get to work! :D
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Fafa
Captain

Post by Fafa » 2007-03-30 11:18:51

f there is anyone whos willing to help develop this or other theaters, feel free to get in touch with me.
Hi SM,

could you have a look at my little job for OF ? Lots of things fixed since last week. The only missing thing is PAK MAP (not enough time).Same link.

ranger822
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

ODS Rework

Post by ranger822 » 2007-03-30 12:01:27

How about a list of what else you want to do and what exactly you need to do it?

I have a few ideas -

1. Model upgrades to database; lots of them. Great opporutnity to see rework of Thoarek's F-4E into F-4G wild weasle and RF-4E, UAV's, transplant OIF/ITO2 skins/models etc.
2. Photo tile work around selected airbases and cities - especially Kuwait City, Baghdad.
3. Revamp UI a little bit - new graphcis for Mainbg, acicons update, patches update, etc.
4. Upgrade airbases features - like new HAS, static aircraft (destroyed, civilian, etc)

I would also admit I have no idea what Fafa has done so maybe some of this stuff has been covered.

From a planning standpoint - it would be great to have a section in each PMC theater under development that provides a detailed worklist. Then the team members can systematically work off the list and note the status "planned, "working", "done" This list doesn't isn't set in stone but defines what needs to be done and will who do it. If you have a team put together, the team can then parcel out the peices that each member is able to do and you can see if you still have any shortfalls or if everything is covered.

I am a little new to theater ports - but keeping the theater somewhat generic may simplify the workload AND increase compatibility. Perhaps the users can fix things up the rest of the way for 100% compatibility. Laslty, I problaby missed it but is PMC using a specific executable to develop from?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-30 13:01:50

Fafa wrote:could you have a look at my little job for OF ? Lots of things fixed since last week. The only missing thing is PAK MAP
In a nutshell the answer is; I want to get this v0.6 out so quickly that your edits are beyond the planned scope as I recall them being skins and stuff(?).
ranger822 wrote:How about a list of what else you want to do and what exactly you need to do it?
Well heh strangely I have nothing else in mind besides what I can do myself right now. I mean there is still bunch of airbases with wrong or missing tiles etc. I did see many people bitch on frugals forums about ODS campaigns being incomplete, well now we could recheck that all triggers are in place and campaigns are winnable in reasonable amount of time.

Mostly if everyone would recall the bugs from ODS v0.512 and post them into the bugs topic mentioned, it would help greatly as I could check what I can fix for v0.6 and what is scheduled for next version(s).
1. Model upgrades to database; lots of them.
2. Photo tile work around selected airbases and cities
3. Revamp UI a little bit
4. Upgrade airbases features
Each and every of these suggested features fall into the "later" part I mentioned in the first post :)

I mean yes eventually we surely do all that stuff, but right now we just need to get v0.6 with the new tiles and latest work how minimal work that might be. Database edits and skins are beyond the scope because I havent got a clue how to handle them in all the different versions, not to mention how to setup the installer best way to handle the three different versions.
is PMC using a specific executable to develop from?
No, well actually I have recently made all the edits in F4AF directory because if I get around to test in RV I just get stuck looking for the awesome graphics in action view instead of really testing. But as you said, the 2007 theaters released are generic in nature and work the same on all exes.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

ranger822
Banned user

Adopting an exe

Post by ranger822 » 2007-03-30 13:27:41

Adopting an exe at least from a developer standpoint will at least put a development group on the same page for testing. Testing any campaign is inextricably linked to the exe and database. I think it may prove difficult to fix bugs with different <Falcon>exe's and objects<theater> folders.

Adopt a database to use is another aspect. There are two ways to go - use a unified database like FF which had a single database which skins were swapped out but basically the same CTs, parents, and lods were used for all theaters. That is the easy way to go but doesn't really lend itself to the full potential of the Falcon campaign engine. The skin/squadron sets allow you to customize each a/c to make calls for different skin sets to tailor for specific theater use. Using different versions of models also makes the theater more unique. Personally, if you go thru all the work to make a theater why handicap yourself by compromising on the database? The database isn't easy to edit, but once you know what you are doing it goes pretty fast. The database also controls cockpits. The parent records control various 2d and 3d lods for cockpits - these must be unique for the skin/squadron sets for things to match up. This is another added feature contributing towards immersion and realism which you simply can't produce if you use a single database.

To summarize theater development would benefit substantially by adopting one <Falcon>.exe and a theater unique database. In effect you a unified effort in development. This would then cut a clear line of handoff to each specific <Falcon>.exe user. It would be up to them to figure out the port process. If PMC can get it working in one exe 100% the port process would likely be much simplified.

I guess what I want to emphasized is choosing and exe and database isn't about any politics - it is about our sanity. IMHO that is the easiest, quickest way to get a project done - once it is done the port should be easy. It also doesn't confine a developer to playing with the developer exe or database - but anyone who is developing probably isn't doing a lot of hard corps flying anyway.

ranger822
Banned user

Model and Tex Installers

Post by ranger822 » 2007-03-30 15:54:41

Another consideration is selection of a "base" database. I.e. if you used FF3.1 or ITO2, or whatever, Baldeagle made a set of tools to install models and textures via LE.

The key to use is copying all the files in the objects<theater> folder except the KoreaOBJ.tex and KoreaOBJ.LOD. So, in essence you edit your database, and keep track of all the lod, textures, and parent records you have added/changed. Then when you build your installer you don't need to include the entire Objects<theater>/KoreaOBJ.tex and Korea.LOD files of the new database. Instead - you copy a target database like Korea and use the KoreaOBJ.tex and KoreaOBJ.lod file from it and then use the ModelInstaller.exe and TexInstaller.exe which then adds/changes only those textures and models that are different. It can make theater installers much smaller. THe only problem is you have to keep an exact list of everything that changed - otherwise - if your hdr file is mismatched you will have problems. In the case of ODS for example. You could use your stock installer database - then update it using these tools. The advantage from a developer standpoint is small beta installers - and for other exe - with a detailed listing of the models, parents, and textures it gives users of different exe's more options.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-01 10:51:11

Editing is frozen now, no more changes (check changelog from the bug topic). Right now I'll start to do the final tests on RV and AF, then compile the installer, write readme and then its time to upload.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the release yet, I mean the RELEASE will come soon, today, but when is it downloadable is completely another matter. The basic texture.zip is now 254mb in size, then the rest of the theater files including three times (3x) the campmap if I cannot tweak the installer to include it only once... so the whole RAR size will be large. It will take long time for me to upload and the worst part is... I dont think nekromantix.com has the quota setup for that monster :(

I will get it online, but how and when is another matter. If anyone is willing to help by providing ftp/http space and login/pass, or anykind of other good method to host it, then please let me know by posting here or private messaging me.

Thanks.

There is storm coming...

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-04-01 14:26:08

I'll me more than happy to upload it to my mediafire.com account once I can download it. The download speed is adequate but it doesn't time out or anything. The link will be available for quite a while.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-01 18:37:26

I have been working all day long for this release, now the "AF side" is in order, running final installer compiles & tests on RV. Then the upload process will start.

Sorry its been dragging so late, well dunno about your timezones but I'm afraid it will be good deal into Monday before the first download link is available.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-01 20:12:49

Testing of the installer is complete (considering slotted time heh). Now the upload process will start, please check time of this post and count from there, I believe the forum time is GMT+2hrs.

ODS v0.6 size is 285mb. I did manage to tweak the installer so campmap (32mb unpacked) and kneemaps etc junk that was included three times, is really packed only once to the installer.

I will post download link(s) as soon as they become available.

PMC since 1984

Return to “Operation Desert Storm”