A request to PMC / Snake Man

Operation Desert Storm theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

RobC_F4
Recruit

A request to PMC / Snake Man

Post by RobC_F4 » 2002-06-07 14:05:00

Don't know how I managed to screw up with dates but I did, what with being busy with both the Cougar Beta stuff for TM and being a "late starter" in the SuperPAK 3 testing team plus (why does work suddenly get so damm busy straight after you have committed yourself to BETTER things) being bogged down at the office but I missed applying for the ODS internal Beta by a couple days (e-mailed you yesterday). Had originally discussed my thoughts with you guys in January, "Cougar Mania" then kicked in (to really take up all our time not to mention posting space on Frugals.) My interest is not so much to "bug you with extra bugs and reports" (unless you want the extra feedback :)) but to use ODS as a basis for studying how things are done - I have downloaded all the latest tutorials and tools from PMC, my interest is develop something for South African National Parks Internal use (mostly flat, grassland "savanna" type environs, not too far removed from the ME type terrain) as I have TONS of Satellite / Aerial Photo Imagery and DTM/DEM & Vector data at all scales / projections for the areas concerned, what with being in charge of GIS in this place. Can I be considered for a *late* start in ODS? You answered my question re ODS/SP3 compatibility last night, that's no problem, my second rig is still on SP2 and can stay that way.

Thanks in advance - (hopefully!)
Regards - Rob AKA RobC_F4
(robc@parks-sa.co.za)
Skukuza, Kruger National Park, South Africa
ESRI ArcGIS ßeta Tester
F4 SuperPAK ßeta Tester

"Promoting the use of GIS"

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: A request to PMC / Snake Man

Post by Snake Man » 2002-06-07 15:40:00

I have just posted the sitrep for ODS in the other area, check it out.

We are really interested on all photographs of desert type terrains, be it satellite or aerial etc. These images would help us to create new tiles.

Anything like that you could spare for us?

PMC TFW
Snake Man
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

RobC_F4
Recruit

Post by RobC_F4 » 2002-06-07 16:10:00

Thnx for the reply. I had a look at your sitrep, hey, looking good - I hate to ask the dreaded question - how long? (thats' why I wanted in on the now - presume defunct - SP2a Beta, to make a head start).

Re your question: I have just got home from the office for the weekend (it's almost 18:00 local time here) so I won't be able to make any enquiries before Monday. But we have a HUGE library of both colour and mono (I think down to 10cm scale) aerial photos of a lot of the Kruger, which by the way has a LOT of "desert" type terrain in it - it's called "dessertification" in conservation / scientific circles = gradual (or not so gradual!) change from woodland 2 grassland 2 desert because of changes in rainfall (this has been DRAMATIC over the past 10 years, so hence the current mass of "imagery" to compare with the "historic". Also we have a lot on the famous Kalahari (also a National Park) desert - famous, especially for it's dry river beds, dunes, so on. Some stuff being supplied by NASA's new "missions". I don't know about the NASA and Space Imaging stuff, but our OWN imagery is essentially freely available (Public Domain), so I should not trip up on any IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) B/S there.

Will get back to you by Monday PM. Don't forget to (re) consider my original ODS request (emailed yesterday)

Till later, regards - Rob

PS this imagery is available in PCX, TIFF, TGA and a variety of popular formats. Just let me see (and remember, it's going to be like the stuff I think I saw you got from Nevada - not ME!)
ESRI ArcGIS ßeta Tester
F4 SuperPAK ßeta Tester

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2002-06-07 16:22:00

quote:Originally posted by GISbyRob:
Thnx for the reply. I had a look at your sitrep, hey, looking good - I hate to ask the dreaded question - how long?
This is another of those stupid answers "I don't know - when its done".

In the state it is now, it will not going to dramatically change overnight. All the major work is done and fine tuning the campaign takes long long time... its simply painfully to add full Brigade of Armored vehicles with Tacedit at the moment, thats why it takes so long to make it better.

So basically it could be ready like couple of days, at least in somewhat same state as the Europe Theater...
quote:But we have a HUGE library of both colour and mono (I think down to 10cm scale) aerial photos
These would be wonderful, especially the color ones. I think best scale would be 1 pixel / 8 meters I think (Zaggy can correct me).
quote:Will get back to you by Monday PM.
Great, cant wait!
quote:Don't forget to (re) consider my original ODS request (emailed yesterday)
I guess we can arrange ODS for you to fly on, even if its inside the internal insiders inside loop inside out :)

PMC TFW
Snake Man
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

RobC_F4
Recruit

Post by RobC_F4 » 2002-06-07 16:53:00

2 many quotes to re-quote so:

I seem to recall an earlier (e-mail) discussion we had (or maybe it was T-Bone, isn't he doing ME?) about 1 pixel : 8M so I think you have got that right.

About finished when it's finished: That's why ALL IT related stuff CANNOT be nailed down to to deadlines. Just had to ask anyway ! (hey, I am a 30 year IT Vet myself :))

Inside the Outside of the Inner loop?! :eek: Fine by me, just don't get the rest of the community all p...d of because of my nagging!
Will be MUCH appreciated though!

I will do the rounds Monday 10th and get back to you on the Imagery. I have some webspace in the US I can upload to ...

Later, Rob
ESRI ArcGIS ßeta Tester
F4 SuperPAK ßeta Tester

Zaggy
Colonel

Post by Zaggy » 2002-06-09 12:24:00

Colour imagery at 8m resolution would be GREAT... F4's default H tiles are at about 7.7m, so its a fairly painless conversion.... If u have detailed pics of airbases, pics between 1m-2m res would be great... We can use them to make 512x512 H tiles at about 1.9m res, for awesome looking bases...
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell
Old-School, Grumpy and Anti-Social
Also to be found lurking round FighterOps

Return to “Operation Desert Storm”