Good reference site for skinners?

Operation Desert Storm theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Tazz
Lt Colonel

Good reference site for skinners?

Post by Tazz » 2003-07-23 15:18:00

I've just stumbled across this particular website which seem to have quite some pics on "Exotic" air forces such as Iran, Libya, Kuwait etc.

Maybe it's good reference material for skinners? With thew ODS - we might need more/better Iran AF skins? And I saw someone one's working on a LIBYA theater? That would be great, I loved flying "Across the Line of Death" with my F-19 :D :D

Here's the URL:
http://users.skynet.be/exotic.planes/index.html

And here are some pics of Iran AF aircraft:

Tazz
87th VFW
Stray Dogs
www.87th.org

Tazz
Lt Colonel

Re: Good reference site for skinners?

Post by Tazz » 2003-07-23 15:18:00

Saudi AF:

UAE AF:

Tazz
87th VFW
Stray Dogs
www.87th.org

Tazz
Lt Colonel

Post by Tazz » 2003-07-23 15:22:00

Jordan AF:

Tazz
87th VFW
Stray Dogs
www.87th.org

Tazz
Lt Colonel

Post by Tazz » 2003-07-23 15:22:00

And here's something I'd REALLY REALLY REALLY would like to see for this Theater.. Kuwaiti A-4s and F-18s :D :D They'd be GREAT for this campaign I'm thinking about. (I've also got some fab ideas on Jordan/Syria - ODS is just a world of possbilities, it's soooo big!!)

Tazz
87th VFW
Stray Dogs
www.87th.org

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2003-07-23 16:10:00

you'll need serious artists to create those exotic schemes, Iranian phantom and tomcat, Saudi tornado, UAE mirage, and Kuwait skyhawk and horet.

Back when first ODS release, i collect skins for package and make some rough ones to fill the slots, Today many models are created with much better quality, means rough skins won't fit upcoming ODS anymore.

you probably have to ask those create the first set skins, if they keep photoshop layer files/panel line files, it won't take long to bring up quality skins.

VW- tomcat, hornet
Basil - mrg, phantom, tornado
Fred - skyhawk, tiger? hercules?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-07-06 02:47:55

July 6th, 2007.

I just today did forum search for "reference sites", pretty much ALL of the results were dead sites, only few were still active :(

From now on when you link reference sites to a topic, post the ESSENTIAL information in quote or code text as there is 95% chance that the linked site will go down in the next 6 months (or three years hehe).

PMC Tactical is forever! Post the information in our forum!

Of course we would like to honor all copyrights and stuff, but you know what I mean by posting the most important piece of text here and not just lazily show us a link.

I will moderate any posts with reference links without essential quoted information :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ranger822
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Collecting Skins

Post by ranger822 » 2007-09-27 11:47:10

This is somewhat related to another thread in attempting to put together old skins - like Rob Viper's work.

Essentially, CCC has pretty much touched on the most relevent point - some skins are dated because update/new models are being introduced, not sure how many. It is a pretty big task to try to sort all of that out because it is also related to the database and then trying to decide if it is better to use old material or update the database to make use of new material - then where do you draw the line with getting committed to a much bigger project. I am not sure if there is such a thing as a "small, quick" Falcon project.

I dont know how "available" saved PSDs are to capture panel lines and be able to generate new skins - case in point was Hailstorm who did the skyhawk - he doesnt have the PSD - so I made my own when I remade the A4 Skyhawk for ITO. The questions need to be asked of old time skinners. Without heavy lifting in the skins department by a large number of people - just about anything theater will quickly bog down - it takes about a week of weeknights for me to generate a skin set for a model. So, just doing the math for the number of skins needed, you can quickly see several months to a year isn't unrealistic for a major overhaul of skins by one person. I did that for ITO because I think I was probably a little crazy. I probably will never be that dedicated to doing hundreds of skins like that again for a single theater. The workload has to be shared or else it simply will not get done in a reasonable amount of time.

Before a detailed work of skins starts the database has to be sorted out or else you end of in a loop of adding just one more model and then having to generate some new skins, texmapping, etc. By the time it gets done another models pops up . . as must have.

Return to “Operation Desert Storm”