Feedback on Terrain Types

Operation Desert Storm theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Feedback on Terrain Types

Post by Snake Man » 2002-08-16 08:25:00

We need some feedback on Terrain Types of Middle East region.

The terrain type map is compiled and is on use with CATE right now, it works nicely. View the terrain types image and also legend for reference.

Old T-Bone tiles are re-used and completed to the normal standard full tile-sets. Complete tilesets include basic terrain type, roads, rivers, bridges, cities and transtitions to other terrain types. Currently we have these ODS terrain types ready in game at the moment.

View the results of the tiling in the actual in game screenshots using the cool T-Bone platinum skyfix if I might add...

Temporary screenshot gallery

And when you're looked upon those, please feel free to post honest comments about the look of the terrain now. I have some problems making decisions of which look the most realistic in the middle east region. Its difficult to imagine the wasteland empty desert and then again some lushy green vegetation at some parts.

So please help me to decide where we're going with the terrain types :)

btw
Next I'm trying to create some woodland/forest tiles for Iran, but these give me great trouble because Iran should have these rocky mountains... but I've seen images of very much green forests. So care needs to be taken to plan this tiling process.

When we have decided what tiles to do into these different terrain types, its no biggie to put together tiles + CATE configs.

Please post some feedback, its more valuable to me that you can imagine.

PMC TFW
Snake Man
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

185-drummer
Recruit

Re: Feedback on Terrain Types

Post by 185-drummer » 2002-08-16 11:22:00

Snake Man,

Here it goes: these terrain types look quite to me; desert is usually not always only sand and stone, but has bushes either dense or sparse all over the place. So the tiles with scrub, stones and some rock as used in image5 are very good as far as I can judge.

However, the roads do not stand out sufficiently against the rock's... maybe they should be lighter in color than the surroundings. If I remember flying over the desert, you could clearly see the tire tracks from the air due to their slightly lighter color (pure sand) and the shadows from the sides of the roadtracks standing up (ie. the tracks were lying lower than the immediate surrounding... that might need to be worked out).

I would however for larger areas interleave the rocky tiles with less rocky ones or ones without any rock surfaces... Rock will not be present all over the place over large areas I would expect.

The desert with bushes (image15,16) seems a little bit too reddish to me using the T-bone lighting. Maybe it is the lighting, or maybe the base coloring, but I would expect it to be more yellow-ish with maybe some lightgrey/white spots due to fine grinded and washed little stones (white/grey stones).
But again it might be the coloring.

The bush in the last pictures is very green. I would opt to use the coloring of the standard Korea bush tiles where these get to the rock lands if you know what I mean. So not the lowland bushes but the highland bushes in the set. Think of Laurier leaves as these trees will grow in abundance in these areas (little water, lots of sun).

Hope these comments help somewhat?

Drummer
Kind regards,

Drummer

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2002-08-16 13:07:00

T Bone
Major

Post by T Bone » 2002-08-16 19:58:00

http://tbone500.tripod.com

look in the QAP section at my idea for tiling woodlands in Iran. Its basically compensating for the lack of good vegetation for the dark mountains.

Snakeman,

you should randomize the vegetation tiles because I made around 20 different ones :)

T-Bone
Exec. Producer- F4ME: Iran Theater
Q/A Tiler/ Artist- PMC: ODS Theater
Advisor- Flashpoint: Afghanistan

Return to “Operation Desert Storm”