Re: New tiles for vietnam

Post by brewskie » 2001-02-27 17:20:00

tiles at his website look really
good.

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2001-02-27 18:32:00

Hey, snakeman, since retiling is bad and boring and the tiles look good, i can rework the coast tiles without the diagonal transitions, i mean, exactly as they go in the original texture.zip
Right now doing the forest roads, i will send it to you whenever its finished.
The main problem right now is that i work and study at the same time, so no to much free time, im glad the tiles liked you, i still have some ideas to make them more realistic and ive found a pretty old number of National Geographic Magazine with a bunch of photos of the Vietnam's rice paddies, its almost all water!!!!
ComGP

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2001-02-27 21:02:00

quote:Originally posted by Com_gp:
i can rework the coast tiles without the diagonal transitions, i mean, exactly as they go in the original texture.zip
Right now doing the forest roads, i will send it to you whenever its finished.
Yes we need roads too and it would be great to have default type of your coastal tiles.
quote:im glad the tiles liked you, i still have some ideas to make them more realistic and ive found a pretty old number of National Geographic Magazine with a bunch of photos of the Vietnam's rice paddies, its almost all water!!!!
Sounds good. I appreciate your work and I think we can add much to the Vietnam feeling when some new tiles (maybe even rice paddies) are introduced.

PMC TFW
Snake Man
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

TheSilkMan
Recruit

Post by TheSilkMan » 2001-02-27 23:46:00

Now, Id say those shots look like NAM indeed! Image
Would be nice to see what the tiles look like on rolling hills. Are there plans to integrate the tiles in with other areas aside from the coastline?

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2001-02-28 19:07:00

Hey, ive been messing arround with the rice paddies lately and i dont get pretty good ressults at them, as i said, they are almost all water, its a very very peace water in them, i mean, no waves, since Falcon 4.0 doesnt support water reflections (i think that there is not a pc simulator which do this) its gonna be a hard work to do, im gonna see if i can scan the pictures and send them here.
About the road tiles, they are almost finished, ive based my work in some photos of a f105 thunderchief flying at low altitude in the ho chi min route, ill post some screenshoots as soon as ive finished it.
just a question, did anyone thoungh that the "rivers", i mean, the brown course of water in the jungle, looked like big roads? hope you understand this question, i was wondering myself about this.
ComGP

Tahiti Bob

Post by Tahiti Bob » 2001-02-28 19:21:00

I've E-mailed a few pictures of Vietnam to Snakeman, including ricepads. Ask him to send it to you or to post some of these pictures here if it can help.

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2001-03-01 20:03:00

Hey, snakeman, could you send me the photos, they probably will be of great help, if you can, please, send them to me at

med006129@nacom.es

Thanks Tahiti Bob for the photos, ComGP

[This message has been edited by Com_gp (edited March 01, 2001).]

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2001-03-09 21:52:00

Hey, Snake_man, ive been working a little more in the tiles, have finished all the forrest tiles, now im gona go for the HTREE which is also used with the forest, send a couple of pics to:

http://community.webshots.com/user/comgp

Still havent done the coast tiles, will do it soon
ComGP

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-03-12 04:29:00

beautiful! EXCELLENT SENSE OF tropical forest! how about the rice paddies? Image

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2001-03-12 19:41:00

About the rice paddies i just have been messing arround with them, trying to find a good one because when i have a good one i can do the rest easily.
One problem i have is the HTREEBA tiles, they have been used a lot in vietnam tiling and i think things like this are not realistic, they are too repeating (its just my opinion, dont get mad about it)

After editing them (just a temporal solution) i got this results.

Right now im modifing all the tiles i have done up to now to support night lighting, my next tiles probably are finish the coast and the rice paddies, have found a cool web page with lots of photos, its at

http://www.kidsaroundtheworld.com/Photo ... e%2010.htm

this is all by now, will post my proggress.
ComGP

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-03-12 20:29:00

One problem i have is the HTREEBA tiles, they have been used a lot in vietnam tiling and i think things like this are not realistic, they are too repeating (its just my opinion, dont get mad about it)
You are absolutely right. I have been thinking of removing those. So they wont be a problem.
quote:Right now im modifing all the tiles i have done up to now to support night lighting
Night lightning? to the "jungle" type too?
quote:the coast and the rice paddies
Can you send me the tiles you've made so far, you seem to run falcon with software mode as the textures look weird. I'd like to take a look at them.

Thanks.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

TheSilkMan
Recruit

Post by TheSilkMan » 2001-03-13 15:58:00

It does look better but needs a bit more transition to farm land. Regarding rivers, they do appear to look like roads. What appears to be missing is free-standing ponds or lake beds. The rivers then need to have a transition from the regular terrain to a sort of erosion look which dumps into to dark river water. In terms of Rice patties, they are free standing water like but that is before the grain sprouts. After that you see basically channels of the dark water winding through like a snakey road and around this area you would see the green grass-like grain. I'll see what I can put together graphically for you in the form of a tile Image. The other thing that we need in the theater are tropical plants and flowers(simulated tiles). This will help with getting away from the Korean flat-lands feel.
The goal should be to transition the theater such that users will feel like they've experienced Vietnam. I have requested that work begin on a sky fix for this theater and should have something nice soon.

TheSilkMan
Recruit

Post by TheSilkMan » 2001-03-13 17:49:00

Check these links to get a general feel and photos of vietnam(notice how ruff and wild the terrain can be:

http://www.tlxnet.net/~boswell/choice1.html

http://community-2.webtv.net/ArtAirborne/SkySoldiers/

TheSilkMan
Recruit

Post by TheSilkMan » 2001-03-13 18:10:00

Guys, also notice how some marine bases were in the mountainous regions and how viscious battles took place in the bush areas rather than on the flat lands.

TheSilkMan
Recruit

Post by TheSilkMan » 2001-03-13 18:18:00

Ok here is another link which may help you out with layout:http://hawley.hispeed.com/vietnam/bassac2.htm

TheSilkMan
Recruit

Post by TheSilkMan » 2001-03-13 18:21:00

Ok, here is a series of aerial photos for the tilers:

http://hawley.hispeed.com/vietnam/skyview.htm

TheSilkMan
Recruit

Post by TheSilkMan » 2001-03-13 18:28:00

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2001-03-13 19:38:00

Hey, ill take note of all you say, "Theskillman", i will make the rivers with more erosion, thats not a problem, about the lakes..., mmmmmh, dont know, that could be very repeating at high altitude, anyhow, ill try to modifify them, with all the photos i already have and all the links you have sended me it wont be hard to make more tiles.
SnakeMan, ill send you the tiles before this week finish since ive found the solution to make the zip in less than 5 mb (by now) with out modifing the fartiles.pal, and yes, you are right, im runing in software, my laptop just have 4mb of video memory, thinking about updating my old pentium 133...
What i mean with night lighting efect is that when i started the tiles i used the palete of 256 colors, instead a 252 colors, so right now the jungle at night looks weird, like a city.
ComGP

brewskie
Lt Colonel

Post by brewskie » 2001-03-13 23:28:00

Many of the mountainous areas where snakeman used the 226-229 forest tile set with the dirt roads coarsing through the mountains are very close to the real thing. I've seen aerial video footage of the Mu Gia Pass and its almost an exact match.

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2001-03-17 01:27:00

breskie, Ill have to check that tiles, mmmmmmmmh, they are the ones i have mostly done, hey, snake man, i have created a new vietnam-small map for the instant action, i think it is much cooler than the terrain view's, if you want it ill send it to you, its about 30kb.
heres the shoot

ComGP

[This message has been edited by Com_gp (edited March 17, 2001).]

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-03-17 03:27:00

quote:Originally posted by brewskie:
Many of the mountainous areas where snakeman used the 226-229 forest tile set with the dirt roads coarsing through the mountains are very close to the real thing. I've seen aerial video footage of the Mu Gia Pass and its almost an exact match.
What do you think about the new tiles Com_gp has shown us here in the screenshots?

I was thinking a little touch up for Vietnam terrain, if we could get the nice tropical coastline tiles, rice paddies and the nice jungle type forest.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-03-17 03:30:00

i have created a new vietnam-small map for the instant action, i think it is much cooler than the terrain view's, if you want it ill send it to you, its about 30kb.
That looks pretty nice, please email it to me.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-03-17 03:36:00

ya, that small map looks cool but..shouldnt vnam map got more and more greens? it looks like near ME Image

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2001-03-17 09:00:00

Ok, ccc, i have redone it, heres greener Image , snakeman, i have sent you the two maps.

ComGP

brewskie
Lt Colonel

Post by brewskie » 2001-03-17 13:39:00

quote:Originally posted by Snake_Man:
What do you think about the new tiles Com_gp has shown us here in the screenshots?

The jungle pic that ccc posted from com-gp website looks good, great texture. However, the color should be more green, less dark olive, the same color as the forest tile set.

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2001-03-17 18:51:00

quote:Originally posted by brewskie:
The jungle pic that ccc posted from com-gp website looks good, great texture. However, the color should be more green, less dark olive, the same color as the forest tile set.

Ok, ill try to make it more green, actually, whenever i started to make the FORR tiles i make it more olive green because that uranium green remembers me to USAF, and the vietnam terrain doesnt like me a lot in it.
Hey, i have done ONE tile of the rice paddies, its just and absolute template, i post a pic to see what do you think,

I just want to say that is gonna be hard to make the tiles for the rice paddies without retiling, i say this because there is not any pattern in the farmland, please, if you have any idea to solve this problem post it.

ComGP

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-03-18 04:42:00

Hey, i have done ONE tile of the rice paddies, its just and absolute template, i post a pic to see what do you think,
Hmm well ok I'm not gonna say anything as I dont really have real life reference of rice paddies.

Do you guys have some real life ricepaddy image to show me?
quote:I just want to say that is gonna be hard to make the tiles for the rice paddies without retiling,
If you create us nice rice paddies, if they are generic "single tiles" or tiled as in group, its no problem. I'll retile the segments with new ricepaddy look.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-03-18 07:06:00

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-03-18 13:08:00

ok now I see what the falcon ricepaddy screenshot is all about. Well we could use bit more detail or variation.

Com_gp, anything you can do to add more realism to that tile?

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2001-03-18 13:42:00

Ok, First of all, Ive modified the forrest tile to make it a litle greener, i have to versions, The two of them have been tested, still some litle errors, before finising them tell me which one do you prefer.

Ok, today ive worked just a little in the rice paddies, first of all, basing my self in this photo, thanks ccc for finding this cool one.

Ive made the borders rounder, its just one tile by now, still experimenting, do worry about the amount of them, im gonna do at least 3 sets of 16 so they wont be too repeating.

ComGP

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-03-18 14:08:00

Ive modified the forrest tile to make it a litle greener, i have to versions,
I'd prefer the greener, but why dont we ask comments from the Vietnam history buffs.
quote:Ive made the borders rounder, its just one tile by now, still experimenting, do worry about the amount of them, im gonna do at least 3 sets of 16 so they wont be too repeating.
Okay now the ricepaddy tile starts to take a shape, looks much better than the first one.
So you'll be doing 3 x 16 tiles for rice paddies? Cool, I like that, variation.

Btw a hint. if you can make the rice paddy tiles as groups of 4 (at least some of them), like
1 - 2
3 - 4
Where one is top-left, two is top-right, three is lower-left and four is lower-right... this way we can apply them with LODFixer automatically.

Looks real good, thanks man I appreciate your work. Seems to me Vietnam is getting a new tile touch-up soon Image

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-03-18 14:44:00

well done comgp,
just to note you:
1.not all rice paddies got round corners.
2.colors and pattern variations on rice paddies. I recommend use some colors and patterns from default korea rice paddies.

brewskie
Lt Colonel

Post by brewskie » 2001-03-18 14:57:00

very good com_gp, greener forest and those rice paddies look outstanding.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-03-18 15:02:00

few more suggestions:
1.add some small village/farm house/tree/yard among rice paddies. or it will become to monomorphous.
2.by modifying some photos in those links, you can get good templete for rice paddies, i mean that one wiht blue-hue.

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2001-03-18 17:06:00

ok, will follow all of your suggestions, at this time i have done 9 tiles, hey, right now i think that the ricepaddies are too green, i probably will make them less green unless you tell me i dont, probably will do less green paddies and more using korea's ones, like ccc says.
And i have noticed that ccc is right, need to add more towns and stuff, right now they are to monorphous, ok, here is the shoot of the rice paddies right now

ComGP

TheSilkMan
Recruit

Post by TheSilkMan » 2001-03-18 21:15:00

Looks like the variation level between sections of the patty are good. I would tune down the brightest green just a tad and your on to it. Lets just be sure that they are placed in the correct map areas which had them in vietnam.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-03-19 00:46:00

Yeah now it starts to look good, tone down the brightness of the green so it wont "stand out" in the terrain.

Very good work I must say.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-03-19 04:23:00

Comgp, nice tile!
if you dont mind, few more here:
1.some rice paddies are dried, brown or yellow.
2. some with water glare, probably blue-hue or shiny white.
3.for plain area, most rice paddies are divided in straight lines, in various size. for uneven area or near river/farm they are in various shape.
4.near mountaneous area, soil are more brown. the dried rice paddies there are in "ladder pattern", the ladder rice paddies. i remember there are some in default korea tiles.
5.combined various degree of brown/yellow/blue/gray/white hue over green land.
6.tile shows traditional vnam village is must-have.
7.scattered bush/tree/plumpsof greens among rice paddies.

hey, post that superb Nevada screen shot for the public..really GREEEEAT shot!!

TheSilkMan
Recruit

Post by TheSilkMan » 2001-03-19 14:34:00

Comp, I just realized this, it appears that you are doing the flatlands which lead up to the patties on the left side of the picture you posted on 3/18 rather than the actual rice paddy section which would be the far right side of the picture about half way down the vertical axis. It is yellowish part of the photo you want with signs of irrigation, snake like patterns. In the photo it looks like the teeth of a comb with traces of water surrounding it.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-03-19 14:49:00

btw, the trails in the rice paddies tile should vary in their size and color, i mean the width of trails. so the tile wont looks like a puzzle.
note: poor vnam(or most SEA) farmers wont waste their land on roads.
image or pattern of small-scale irrigation system/facilites/dam could be added.