European North Atlantic area - joined theater discussion

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Luk
Brig. General

European North Atlantic area - joined theater discussion

Post by Luk » 2010-10-26 20:02:15

I want to continue 256European North Atlantic theater discussion here.
It started in this locked topic:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22382

I like this area very much, including the NW distortion.
more later.
Luk

molnibalage
Colonel
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Modeling

Re: European North Atlantic area - joined theater discussion

Post by molnibalage » 2010-10-27 06:22:21

I appriciate of your work Luk but will be ever finished any of your idea? IMHO shuch a bug theater like is usless. There is an upper limit for objects in a map. Even in the Europe v0.6 you have to delete many of them if you want to modify anything in the map. IF you will be able to create this huge theater the density of objects wil be very small. Most of the theater is far from the combat zone or just sea. Even a usable and moddable Europe is fine to me.
Core 2 Duo E7300, Gigabyte EP43, 4 GB RAM (1066MHz), Shappire Radeon HD4850 1GB

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2010-10-27 06:49:16

I appriciate of your work Luk but will be ever finished any of your idea?
We had a LAN party about mont ago. We flew 12 people MP missions in moded EU 128 theater (retiled terrain, my new dense central Eu campaign). It worked perfectly, no single ctd. We flew on different hw - there were some pilots with Vista and W7(4?). I just guided them to join us when all weapons seted. I had an experience, these new system flyers can not see weapon updates before mission - noticed in default Balcan-Korea during MP).
There is an upper limit for objects in a map.
I have really no interest fo fill the whole map with objectives. I just want to add about 50 of them in Russia, 30 in Scandinavia, 20 in Iceland 3 in Greenland and 2in North Canada...for example.

I will be back soon.

Luk

derStef
Banned user
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by derStef » 2010-10-29 10:09:30

Hello Luk,

Well the basic idea is great to have such an theater, especially also covering the GIUK-gap, very interesting for any cold war scenarios....

but on the other hand:
- the AI can't handle such long flights properly (
- it is fucking boring to fly hundreds of miles to get into the action (we have that problem already with the 128 size theaters)
- as already mentioned, a very low object destiny
- very different vegetaion all over the place, makes it harder to create dedicated terrain tiles i think..

I would prefer that we try to update the current Europe theater, trying to get the forntline looking good there and then we can go forward from that point.... just my 2 cents.

best regards

Stef

molnibalage
Colonel
Editing Interests: Modeling

Post by molnibalage » 2010-10-30 09:16:20

I agree with Stefan. Maybe if the terrain mesh has 10 meter resolution with textures that represents the year of 2010...

IMHO campaign stability and usability is much more important that a big and likely usless map.
Core 2 Duo E7300, Gigabyte EP43, 4 GB RAM (1066MHz), Shappire Radeon HD4850 1GB

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2010-10-30 11:26:14

Ok guys, thanks for comments.
I think you did not catch the basic idea.
There will be 2 separated theaters in the area. Each of them is interresting at first sight,
but both have limitations when standalone(especially for modern operations).
I think the Nordic one is very limited as standalone (if not moved to East enough IMHO).

It is possible to model much more frontlines for joined theater. Some of them "realistic", some as "historical derivates" or even some funky (USA blocade UK:)...
I can also imagine some pure NAVAL action scenery (operations supported from Carriers+land based ABs).
(But I want to prove the concept first.)
I think large oceanic areas are advantage in that case. There is "shared ocean tile" widely used as well (smaller in size).
You can see 2 highly populated areas in the picture(green outline). There are placed objectives as in standard 128 theater. The creator of new campaign can choose suitable CAM as basemap. Objectives outside the squares are some few, most important for his new CAM. It is olso possible to get new bunch of objectives for uncovered area via DEM2Terr(just set the coordinates 53/9) - in Romania area etc...

Longer flights are expected just for long range bombers/AWACS (or even some custom TE/missions with tankers - I know a few people loveing such a long missions).

Ok, I am really not retiring from EU128. I want to finish it first (tile the UK + rest of Scandinavia). But I was thinking about used textures as well. I wanted dig-out makia set before for example, but now - I know I need it for Iceland...etc
It will be long term project(not the first priority), I know.
Perhaps the team around DanDixie is not interrested very much - also no problem.
I must also test the possibility to fix the normals for such a big theater (especially for AF). I guess Monster's Terrain editor is able to handle such a huge area. But there is a difference in normal calculation (AF vs FF,OF) I think. Perhaps Sherlock can put some light on it (he already colaborated with BaldEagle on Lxnormalfix update for AF landscape...)

Luk

Malc
Lt Colonel

Post by Malc » 2010-11-21 09:28:20

My first, and indeed last, thought is - WHY? :lol:

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2010-11-22 09:07:04

Perhaps because it covers the most interesting areas for theater development... or...perhaps because I am connected to the world top hardware sellers and have kickback for each sold MB worldwide...or....I will not reveal it - when the TAO is spelled/typed, then it is not the TAO anymore :wink:

BTW You have unnecessarily poped-up the worthless thread - fortunately for the last time :lol:

Luk

Malc
Lt Colonel

Post by Malc » 2010-11-22 16:08:42

Luk wrote:
BTW You have unnecessarily poped-up the worthless thread - fortunately for the last time :lol:

Luk
Who's going to tile it?

Who's going to populate it?

Who's going to link it?

Who's going to play it?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2010-11-22 18:22:03

Please guys keep it civil. Everyone is free to express their opinions but this topic is not going anywhere if you start to go back and forth with the subject.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Return to “Terrain / Theater”