Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Ripcord
Recruit
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Missions

Jagged horizon

Post by Ripcord » 2009-07-26 14:11:35

This might be a known issue, but haven't seen it show up in discussion -- so wanted to post these photos and get some comments (could just something specific to AF). This was something hard to describe, picture says it better, I think.

Take a look at the really uneven horizons

ODS

IRAN

EUROPE

KURILES

TAIWAN

I have noted this same probem that is common to pretty much all the campaigns here that I have installed in AF -- with the exception of Panama. Check that out below - looks like like Korea.

Also please note that I don't have this problem in stock theatres Korea or Balkans,and resolution settings don't affect this.

I understand that the Panama campaign was built expressly for AF, IIRC. That must be the root of it -- tile size or layout of whatever. Want to hear your comments on this.

Ripcord

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: Jagged horizon

Post by Snake Man » 2009-07-26 15:48:52

I don't know. I have no clues either what might cause that. I hope someone provides some details about this as indeed it looks real bad in the example screenshots.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Ripcord
Recruit

Post by Ripcord » 2009-07-26 17:10:53

I knew that Panama was built for AF so it isn't a big surprise that one works fine (flat horizons). But I thought that the ODS campaign was also built for AF, or at least it should detect that flavor of Falcon and install it accordingly.

In the read me it is says:
1) Delete any and all earlier Desert Storm installs.
2) Run the PMC_DesertStorm_Theater_v0.7.exe and choose RV/OF or AF.

IIRC, it did not prompt me to choose AF, so maybe that is part of the problem on that -- not properly installed.

Wanted to raise the question, in case some others have seen this.

Flying AF on a GeForce FX 5900 card, which again, is fine for the stock sim theaters and for Panama, so I don't think that's the problem.

Seems to me that we (somebody here) ought to be able to isolate this by comparing/contrasting the Panama theatre with the others -- what was done differently with that theater build?

Ripcord

molnibalage
Colonel
Editing Interests: Modeling

Post by molnibalage » 2009-07-27 08:00:49

Turn of the haze in setup. Maybe will solve the problem.

derStef
Banned user
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by derStef » 2009-07-27 10:33:57

guys what i see here, is the edge of the fartiles... no the horizon...

Ripcord
Recruit

Post by Ripcord » 2009-07-28 00:04:52

molnibalage wrote:Turn of the haze in setup. Maybe will solve the problem.
Not understanding what you meant here, how can I turn off haze in setup? -- I tried adjusting special effects, no change. Anyway, why does Panama work fine and not the others, with the same settings?
derStef wrote:guys what i see here, is the edge of the fartiles... no the horizon...
Interesting observation. It begs the question, what part of this is different in AF with the Panama theatre? Size of fartiles? Grasping at straws here, not knowing much about how terrains are built. Ideas?

Ripcord

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-07-28 00:37:06

What terrain rebuilder (Tinstall) does Panama use? Latest PMC theaters use the Htti Tom Waelti's hitiles one.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Ripcord
Recruit

Post by Ripcord » 2009-08-09 13:29:06

Here is the first paragraph of text from the README file.

This version of Panama Theater ships with a slimmed-down version of Tom Wдlti's Summer season HiTilesAF. Please be aware the packaged texture.zip will NOT work in other theaters due to the fact only the tiles used in Panama have been packaged. If you try to use the file in the Balkans or Korea theater, CTDs and/or severe graphic anomolies will occur.

Malcom also mentions that "the supplied HiTilesAF in Panama Theater are only 128 x 128 in size - the full package images are 256 x 256" (if purchased from Tom).

I wonder if my jagged horizon problems might be solved simply by purchasing and installing hi tiles? Wouldn't think that would solve the problem.... just a thought.

Ripcord

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-08-09 14:10:39

Its not about the tiles, its the terrain rebuilder (tinstall, sptinstall or htti) which builds the terrain what you see on the horizon.

Someone posted that we should run the estimate tile color on terrainview to fix this problem. I have now ran it for Nevada theater when use it on RV, but then again I don't recall seeing this problem before so there might not be any help with that.

However next PMC theater you see (mentioned nevada) it will have the tile colors estimated and we can only hope that fixes the problem.

PMC since 1984

Ripcord
Recruit

Post by Ripcord » 2009-08-11 00:08:03

Probably the best person to answer that question would be Malcom.... anybody know if he still visits these forums?

Ripcord

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2009-08-11 15:27:28

What terrain rebuilder (Tinstall) does Panama use? Latest PMC theaters use the Htti Tom Waelti's hitiles one.
There are 3 util files used during Panama installation:
1_PTAFInstaller.exe
2_sptinstall.exe - size 372 736 (364 kB)
3_LxNormalFix.exe
Someone posted that we should run the estimate tile color on terrainview to fix this problem. I have now ran it for Nevada theater when use it on RV, but then again I don't recall seeing this problem before so there might not be any help with that.
I guess "estimate tile colour" command only tints (in case it works :mrgreen: ) a tile polygon by some native texture colour (plain - light green, river - dark blue.. etc). So the tile inherits main texture colour - good for appearance/ possibility to turn off textures on slow machines.

Luk

Ripcord
Recruit

Post by Ripcord » 2009-08-13 01:36:34

Just to check, I downloaded and installed the NEVADA v0.5 theatre and it seemed to work fine -- but only over land. I flew over the ocean and still have the same jagged horizon there. Over land, you just don't see it because of the haze in the distance (very well done, I thought).

I thought I saw during the installation process that sptinstall.exe was used... pls correct me if I got that wrong. I was hoping that this would be the common thread with Panama, which works great, but it wasn't.

Ripcord

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-08-13 07:42:46

As I said above :)
Latest PMC theaters use the Htti Tom Waelti's hitiles one.

PMC since 1984

Return to “Terrain / Theater”