.RSC file format/.IDX file format

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

lightning
Recruit
Gaming Interests: ArmA 2 (Armed Assault 2)
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by lightning » 2009-02-06 21:57:05

For anyone that needs it, I've documented the file format of the .RSC files and corresponding .IDX files, in the editing Wiki.

http://pmc.editing.wiki/doku.php?id=fal ... fileformat

I'm in the process of documenting a lot of the theater/terrain file formats, but please let me know if there are specific file formats that you would like to see documented in the Wiki and I will put those higher on my list. They do not have to be theater/terrain oriented.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Re: .RSC file format/.IDX file format

Post by ccc » 2009-02-07 05:02:35

wow.. it's technical.. :shock: 8-)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2009-02-07 07:04:05

Thanks lightning, its just heart warming to see someone else chipping in and putting data into the wiki. Just great. Thank you so much.

I tweaked the main file_formats page layout and added code hight lighting into the source code example. Not sure if there is C# high light but I used cpp now. Its <code cpp> on the wiki page editing, dunno if <code c#> would work too.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Post by Sherlock » 2009-02-07 18:20:35

lightning,
great work man. You are a god-send!

I would very, very much like to see the .CAM/.TRN/.TAC file formats deciphered for Allied Force so that a new TacEdit can be developed for Allied Force (the current one will not work on the newer .cam/.trn/.tac file formats for AF).

Cheers!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

lightning
Recruit

Post by lightning » 2009-02-07 23:19:17

Sherlock wrote:lightning,
great work man. You are a god-send!

I would very, very much like to see the .CAM/.TRN/.TAC file formats deciphered for Allied Force so that a new TacEdit can be developed for Allied Force (the current one will not work on the newer .cam/.trn/.tac file formats for AF).

Cheers!
I'm in the process of documenting those for the legacy versions right now, so at least that will be a good start. From there, hopefully the differences will be relatively minor, revealing themselves either via simple experimentation or, failing that, brute-force analysis. I'll keep ya posted shortly.

editActually I'm pretty sure the differences are not so much in the .CAM/.TRN/.TAC format (same format for all, AFAIK); they're basically just a big "container" file that holds many other files, kind of like how a .ZIP file would work. What we really need to know are the differences in the formats of the files contained *within* the .CAM/.TRN/.TAC files. We'll see where we get with this, though, maybe it's not so bad as it seems at first glance.

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2009-02-08 00:50:53

Great effort and great project. Knowing structure of the file is most important for any attempt of moding. Are you planing eventually to hit all F4 files? That would be monumental.

I use Axe3, but in rather amateurish way. Still, if you need any assistance occasionally, I gladly offer it to my best ability.
Last edited by Polak on 2009-02-08 01:28:11, edited 2 times in total.

lightning
Recruit

Post by lightning » 2009-02-08 01:02:59

Polak wrote:Great effort and great project. Knowing structure of the file is most important for any attempt of moding. Are you planing eventually to hit all F4 files? That would be monumental.
I'll hit them in the order you guys tell me to hit them. I have a bunch of stuff that I've already done, I just have yet to post it. Mostly terrain/tiles stuff which is already pretty well understood on here but yet the documentation is lacking and/or misleading.

Anyway the documentation for the basic stupid-easy .CAM/.TRN/.TAC files will be on the Wiki shortly.
Polak wrote: I use Axe3, but in rather amateurish way. Still if you need any assistance occasionally I gladly offer it to my best ability.
Cool, I'm sure there will be opportunities for helping :)

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2009-02-09 13:11:53

Anyway the documentation for the basic stupid-easy .CAM/.TRN/.TAC files will be on the Wiki shortly.
Thanks God!

Given our current lack of knowledge to make units go along the campaign, this could be the true recipe for happiness... 8-)

lightning
Recruit

Post by lightning » 2009-02-09 14:25:58

I'll open a new post on here for discussing the .CAM/.TRN/.TAC format so this post can stay on-topic.

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Post by Sherlock » 2009-02-09 14:37:29

lightning wrote:
Polak wrote:Great effort and great project. Knowing structure of the file is most important for any attempt of moding. Are you planing eventually to hit all F4 files? That would be monumental.
I'll hit them in the order you guys tell me to hit them. I have a bunch of stuff that I've already done, I just have yet to post it. Mostly terrain/tiles stuff which is already pretty well understood on here but yet the documentation is lacking and/or misleading.

Polak wrote: I use Axe3, but in rather amateurish way. Still if you need any assistance occasionally I gladly offer it to my best ability.
Cool, I'm sure there will be opportunities for helping :)
Can I buy you a few rounds of beer? Seriously! We've needed someone to do this work for a long time (years) so if I can keep you motivated and documenting those file formats so programmers can code utilities to give us for modding, then I will buy you beer! :)
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2009-02-09 23:27:38

Sherlock,
I extend my most sincere and eager offer to help (to the beer). Hexing and hacking can wait a little. :lol:

Return to “Terrain / Theater”