New theaters

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

toonces
Brig. General

Re: New theaters

Post by toonces » 2009-01-15 17:34:00

Excellent points Molni. 1987-88 works just as well for me...

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-01-22 19:15:02

Well, just for the record, I just ordered a bit over $100 in used boardgames to help with theater development.

It's my sincere hope that I can get some interesting ideas to implement into the existing PMC theaters/campaigns once I have a chance to go through them a bit, and once we figure out, once and for all, how to get a ground campaign working.

FAVv_Maverick
Gaming Interests: ArmA 2 (Armed Assault 2)

Post by FAVv_Maverick » 2009-01-27 18:09:07

Hello Guys,

First of all, congratulations and thank you for all your hard work. I’ve been visiting the forum for years, even though only as a reader, since I simply have no editing skills.

However, was reading this post, and started to think if maybe I could make a request for a New Theater, to see if you gurus can give it a try. I don’t have a clue how to make a terrain, but I do have info/Orbats/Pics that can help a lot, and even maybe help with the skinning of the planes involved.

I was quite impressed with the ability to set up the Georgian theater in such a short time, so, my request is a Caribbean theater, like this:

Image Image

It would include Venezuela, Colombia, Brazil, Guyana (UK Commonwealth), Aruba-Curacao-Bonaire Islands (Netherland) and Puerto Rico (US). Half of the terrain is water, so that should help.

Most of the planes that would be needed in this area are already in Falcon:

Venezuela (F-16 and Su-30)
Image Image

Brazil (Mirage 2000 and F-5)
Image Image

Colombia (Kfir)

Netherland (F-16)

Puerto Rico (F-15, F-16, or pretty much anything in the US armed forces)

Maybe some US Navy Aircraft Carriers (F-18, Harriers, etc.)
Image Image

Guyana has no combat aircraft, but maybe UK could defend it with a carrier and some Harriers.

I, along with group of friends, have made very preliminary and raw skins for the Venezuelan planes, and could try to skin all the rest, as long as there is a good theater to fly them.
Image Image

So, what campaigns could be prepared in this area? Well, Venezuela has been a peaceful nation since 1830, when we finally achieved our independence. But a couple of scenarios come to my mind.

Venezuela and Colombia still have an unresolved dispute over the water of the Gulf of Venezuela, which almost caused a war between the two countries twice, last time in 1987 (check Link 1) so this could be a possibility. Lately, our current crazy president almost sent us into war again, so this scenario is not so unrealistic (check Link 2, Link 3 and Link 4)

Another possible campaign could be set in Guyana. Venezuela claims 60% of Guyana territory as our own (Check Link 5), and even though no attempt has been made to take if by force, a Falkland Redux style campaign could be a possibility, with NATO coming to the rescue.

Other Falkland type campaign could be over the Netherland Antilles. Ocupation by Venezuelan forces, and Netherland and NATO again to the rescue. Aircraft carriers, or planes launched from the Antilles and Puerto Rico (Check Link 6, Link 7, Link 8, and Link 9)

Other scenario could be a Cuban Missile Crisis style conflict, set in Venezuela. Russian nuclear forces deployed here, and the reaction of US. Last year russian forces were deployed to Venezuela twice (Link 10, Link 11, Link 12, Link 13)

We could also have some anti-guerrillas campaign in Colombia, where the Colombian armed forces are still fighting a 40 years old war again two groups of rebels (Link 14, Link 15)

In the Brazilian area we could have something like the Cruzex Exercise, the biggest international air combat training in South America, organized every two years (Link 15)

I guess I am boring you with all this stuff, but I needed to at least try to convince you 

So, anyone interested?

Thanks to everyone anyway.

Mav.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2009-01-31 02:46:43

the idea of carribean area mod.. well it seems located at right hand side of Panama theater, and below Cuba-centered mod. As you said, the campaigns could be fighting between local powers, or US invasion from the sea.

BTW.. Cruzex Exercise - yeah i just saw some sweet photos on magazines.. many cool ac dressed in colorful, characterisitc camo/schemes. To be honest, the fighting ac in this area are more "classic"..interesting.. the best of them probably are mirage2000, F-16, and Su-30.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-01-31 04:02:24

The book I'm reading on WW3 has a number of scenarios encompassing this region. I've already expounded on a Cuba/Key West theater in another thread.

So, yes, I can think of quite a few awesome scenarios for this theater.

But, we already have so many "unfinished" theaters that, frankly, I don't see the point of dividing effort by creating another right now.

But, then again, why not?

I find I work much harder on the theaters about which I am enthusiastic, than the ones that are interesting to everyone else but me.

Still, I'd like to see us coalesce around an existing theater rather than divide up once again. Just my .02.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2009-01-31 04:47:43

relax. :mrgreen:

as title said, this thread is for sharing dreams. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2009-01-31 04:48:57

Still, I'd like to see us coalesce around an existing theater rather than divide up once again.
Yes please , there is a great potential in any Falcon4 theaters, but ONLY when they are properly finished and polished....and working.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-01-31 08:32:53

No relaxation necessary.

If I ever figure out the key to a working ground war....well, let's just say I have many, many ideas of how to tie all of the PMC theaters into one "Grand Campaign".

Of course, that pesky ground war thing keeps getting in the way.

I spent about 20 hours manually inputting the Soviet 8th Guards Army into my Nevada theater to simulate a Fulda Gap scenario.

Oh, the air war was marvelous! All the MiGs and F-4s you could shake a stick at! But, I just couldn't get that Army to consistently move on Las Vegas no matter what I did. And this was unopposed. For some reason, China Lake Bridge is just soooo appealing to the AI. Why? I have no idea.

So, yes, we can dream and dream, and I have visions that keep me up at night about potential theaters. You should see all the OOB stuff I just got in the mail this week!

But, until we figure out a way to make a campaign "winnable" with what we have, I just don't see the point of a new theater. But, then again, why not? Who knows what magical combination of theater, ground units, and campaign maker will finally be the right one to make a working ground war?

I guess the bottom line is that if you make it, I'll probably goof off with it!

Return to “Terrain / Theater”