Problem

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Phoenix711
Captain

Problem

Post by Phoenix711 » 2008-12-06 11:01:01

I'm having a problem trying to understand the ground movement system.

I am testing it on two different Islands. What I do iw, creating the road strructure, noting the junction points, and then go to TacEdit and put either an objective to each of those junction points or create a junction objective for them. So the road network is connected all together.

But then, I can put a ground unit whereever I want on the map. Sea, mountain, not important. I put it on the sea, and it stops there. Normally, it shouldn'!t allow me to do that, and move the unit itself to the nearest coast, isn't it?

What I don't understand is, why. I'm creating the THR file with Pathmaker or terrainview. Is that the same? Or should I use the 2 byte version for this? I just don't understand.

Because of that, whatever I do my ground units cannot move. What am I doing wrong? Am I cursed?

Thanks.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Re: Problem

Post by ccc » 2008-12-06 12:55:06

first, please test it in TE. see if a ground unit on land can move .

normally a ground unit placed at sea won't move.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2008-12-06 14:23:29

Phoenix711 wrote:I'm having a problem trying to understand the ground movement system.
Its very simple; ground units move between objectives using the "Link" data.
road strructure, noting the junction points
You mean Junction objectives?
and then go to TacEdit and put either an objective to each of those junction points or create a junction objective for them.
Err Junction objectives are... objective, you don't "put objective" on it. Well I guess you can stack objectives on top of each other but I don't understand the point of that.

Junction is objective as is city or airbase or bridge. Its no different regarding ground unit movement. Objectives are connected to each other by links which can be made with TacEdit.
I put it on the sea, and it stops there. Normally, it shouldn'!t allow me to do that, and move the unit itself to the nearest coast, isn't it?
Well ground units sink and die if you put them in the ocean :)
What I don't understand is, why. I'm creating the THR file with Pathmaker or terrainview. Is that the same?
No, TerrainView's thr making routines aren't as updated as PathMakers, please use only PathMaker to make THR file.
Or should I use the 2 byte version for this?
PathMaker as far as I can recall, uses only 2 byte L2 files.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Phoenix711
Captain

Post by Phoenix711 » 2008-12-06 14:37:40

Thanks for answers.

My ground units can float over the sea but cannot move. But don't die either.

I use junctions because, the ground units are not moving along the roads and cannot decide to turn on junctions (no objective, road junctions). So, I put there a junction objective. So I can link it to another object.

Can the ground units move to areas with no roads? I means can they go over plains if theres a link between two objectives, but no roads?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2008-12-06 15:23:16

Phoenix711 wrote:My ground units can float over the sea but cannot move. But don't die either.
It was a joke. In Falcon 4 campaign files, do not place ground units into ocean, put them only on land.
Can the ground units move to areas with no roads?
I'm not sure if they take short cuts, but if you have an objective without linking, then no... ground units cannot move to that objective. That's my experience at least, but I still remember Codec's words when he said that ground units don't need roads to move... so go figure.
I means can they go over plains if theres a link between two objectives, but no roads?
This might be possible yes.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Return to “Terrain / Theater”