Modding OF vs. FF/RV

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

toonces
Brig. General

Modding OF vs. FF/RV

Post by toonces » 2008-12-01 19:00:54

Hi all.
This is just a general question. I'd like to get any feedback as to which version of Falcon you prefer to do your modding in. Is one more mod-friendly than the other?
Is there any reason to choose one over the other?

I keep exploding my RV install. While I strongly prefer RV as a sim compared to OF, if I can't keep a stable, modded installation of RV, I'm going to have to move to OF. But, before I do that, I'd like to hear what everyone else's experiences have been with OF modding.

I'm so frustrated I can't believe it. My RV install just keeps dying for no apparent reason. It just...stops...working.

molnibalage
Colonel
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Modeling

Re: Modding OF vs. FF/RV

Post by molnibalage » 2008-12-01 19:32:13

For the public maybe OF is better. As I know public versions of LOD Editor works with OF. FF4 needs different, that is not public. F4Browse and Tacedit can be used for both. Other simdata and other rack and text edit also works same wya for both version (as I know).
Core 2 Duo E7300, Gigabyte EP43, 4 GB RAM (1066MHz), Shappire Radeon HD4850 1GB

Fafa
Captain

Post by Fafa » 2008-12-01 22:22:18

For the public maybe OF is better
Of is the ideal version for "poor modders" or poor "amateurs" like me, as I saw in the past. I don't think this consideration has changed.

So Toonces, you'll have to make some choices int this cruel Falcon Dallas world...

1/ Trying to fight and show your valor to be incorporated in a secret underground project and be authorized to use tools which are not public. :roll:

2/ Making your own personnal mod as taking the best of the FF and OF version to make something as you desire.... :wink:

3/ Choosing to wait and hope something good will be released before you are 150 year's old and die... :?

Did I forget anything :?:

So sorry...

molnibalage
Colonel
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Modeling

Post by molnibalage » 2008-12-01 22:27:24

3/ Choosing to wait and hope something good will be released before you are 150 year's old and die...
Do you talk about OF? Because it is a leaked beta... FF5.0 is not a mystery we just don't want to release a bugFalcon...
Core 2 Duo E7300, Gigabyte EP43, 4 GB RAM (1066MHz), Shappire Radeon HD4850 1GB

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2008-12-01 23:10:23

toonces wrote:I'd like to get any feedback as to which version of Falcon you prefer to do your modding in.
It was perhaps a bit ambitious but as seen, the right choice that PMC did when we decided to start build theaters for all Falcon versions. Its doable, so why not go for it.
Is one more mod-friendly than the other?
Well OF/RV are the same, tacedit/f4browse works on them directly, but AF stock .cam files and database files cant be opened with stock tools, however there is F4AF version of F4browse and you can use SP4.2 .cam files in tacedit, so its not really a problem. But yeah, that's the difference between OF/RV and F4AF.

Also I believe there is some difficulty in F4AF with cockpits, but I'm not sure about that.
Is there any reason to choose one over the other?
Personal preference. Wise and aware readers here might have gathered which is my favorite Falcon version now, I can't recall if I ever directly stated it on "those words", but I'll keep the PMC stance as publicly friendly that we develop theaters for all F4 versions.

I cant simply play OF because I have Radeon 9800 Pro 128 card, which turns OF 3D world a slide show, that's the only technical limitation I have. All PMC OF edits have been done "3D blind", campaigns have been started in 2D to see that there is no CTD's etc, but that's it. That's the reason I would so much appreciate any OF feedback on our theaters.
if I can't keep a stable, modded installation of RV, I'm going to have to move to OF.
Dude, listen, just be careful with your F4 installation and I'm sure it wont get broken. Perhaps there is some virus or something in your computer that causes it? Who knows what the reason might be.
I'm so frustrated I can't believe it. My RV install just keeps dying for no apparent reason. It just...stops...working.
Try to track each step which leads to it stop working, perhaps you find a common cause for that.

BTW: why didn't you list F4AF as choice in your topic question here? Or are you simply saying it sucks so much that you cant bare even the thought of editing it? :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2008-12-02 00:01:07

LOL @ Snakeman.

I have no prejudice against AF. My true joy in flying Falcon after all these years is the multi-plane aspect of the sim. That's why I prefer RV/FF so much over OF; it has alot of options to fly various planes with decent looking cockpits applied on top of the excellent wargame/campaign engine. OF sort of allows this, but I found the graphics substantially lesser quality than RV. If/when AF allows for the same flexibility as RV, then I'll get on board.

But, with respect to modding, it's just not as easy as writing .cam files for both. My Nevada mod is a perfect example. Half the fun of the mod is flying the various OPFOR planes in their aggressor skins. But, there are different F-16 models available in both F4 versions, and the .dds numbers don't match up. And, some planes available in FF/RV aren't available in OF. So, making a version that is compatible with both versions is tough. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, I'm sure.

I don't want to derail my own thread too much here, but my last install crash has been perplexing. I have two completely separate RV installs on my machine- a "modded" one and a "clean" one. My modded version was humming along just fine...then just stopped working all of a sudden. Out of curiosity I tried booting up my separate clean install, and that one now experiences the same crash. I have no earthly idea why this would affect both installations.

Further, none of this started until I started goofing off with TacEdit. Is it a Nevada thing? I never experienced any problems with any of my "stock" PMC theater installs. It's only since I started goofing off with Nevada that things have been acting screwy. If it were as simple as a crash immediately after an edit, this would be so much easier to isolate. But, it's random. One mission things work fine. I turn the sim off, get dinner, come back and the sim doesn't work.

Maybe dinner is the common denominator? I suppose I could stop eating after lunch. It would be a big sacrifice, but I do enjoy flying Falcon and awful lot.

Return to “Terrain / Theater”