Trees

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

qawa67
2nd Lt

Trees

Post by qawa67 » 2007-12-19 02:01:01

There was a link on Frugs from Daws about a new trees placement...

Why this stuff is lost ?

I think is a great improvement of the terrain.

Where is this guy ?

How is possible to reply this great job ?

thanks 8-)
Last edited by qawa67 on 2007-12-19 21:38:03, edited 1 time in total.

ranger822
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Trees and Forest

Post by ranger822 » 2007-12-19 04:22:00

Hi Stefano - -

Well - perhaps my take - - trees are features - - so no problem to add, just swap out the model currently being used with one that has a ton of trees nd then rework the features, alternatively, reword the falcon4trees.fed and falcon4trees.ocd files. But, I think it is probably better to add a single model that has lots of trees in it as opposed to a single tree that you repeat as a feature lots of time (but that is just a guess and hasn't been tested (just my Falcon intuition)) - - I believe a problem occurred with FF and SP4 with too many features -- The objects folder contains two types of *.fed and *.ocd files - the ones with lots of trees are called falcon4treee.fed and falcon4trees.ocd. The ones with no trees are falcon4.fed and falcon4.ocd. The files are present in PRE-RV you choose between the two sets - so NO TREES and LOTS OF TREES. I think there might have been a patch that let you add even more trees. I think that a similar thing was done to add fences around airbases. Again, the issue was stability - - I personally liked the look of the fences but I hates the suddent CTDs. I decided for the sake of framerate and stability that trees were not that important. Now that I have a much faster PC perhaps it is OK.

I haven't flown enough in RV to say how overpopulation the terrain with trees, bushes, buildings, fences etc effects game play. That is something to be tested - perhaps someone has already done that?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-19 08:54:20

I have said it many times, no outside linking without pasting some content here. Closing this topic.

Edit: link opened on qawa's request and promise that the relevant text from the link will be pasted to this topic :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

qawa67
2nd Lt

Post by qawa67 » 2007-12-19 21:42:44

corrected ! sry Snakeman !! 8-)

Thanks Ranger for your help !!!

I think that the terrain detail it can improve now that the CPU and GPU are more powerful... just thinking the right idea... and seems to me Daws he had a great one !!!

other idea is very appreciated....

I've the time and passion to bring this stuff and ending it :)

87th_striker
Brig. General

Re: Trees and Forest

Post by 87th_striker » 2007-12-19 21:45:16

ranger822 wrote:Hi Stefano - -

Well - perhaps my take - - trees are features - - so no problem to add, just swap out the model currently being used with one that has a ton of trees nd then rework the features, alternatively, reword the falcon4trees.fed and falcon4trees.ocd files. But, I think it is probably better to add a single model that has lots of trees in it as opposed to a single tree that you repeat as a feature lots of time (but that is just a guess and hasn't been tested (just my Falcon intuition)) - - I believe a problem occurred with FF and SP4 with too many features -- The objects folder contains two types of *.fed and *.ocd files - the ones with lots of trees are called falcon4treee.fed and falcon4trees.ocd. The ones with no trees are falcon4.fed and falcon4.ocd. The files are present in PRE-RV you choose between the two sets - so NO TREES and LOTS OF TREES. I think there might have been a patch that let you add even more trees. I think that a similar thing was done to add fences around airbases. Again, the issue was stability - - I personally liked the look of the fences but I hates the suddent CTDs. I decided for the sake of framerate and stability that trees were not that important. Now that I have a much faster PC perhaps it is OK.

I haven't flown enough in RV to say how overpopulation the terrain with trees, bushes, buildings, fences etc effects game play. That is something to be tested - perhaps someone has already done that?
Create different forests and bushy areas instead. We really don't need to many trees..... When you press, low and fast, who cares about trees ? Power lines, on the other hand...... :lol:

qawa67
2nd Lt

Post by qawa67 » 2007-12-19 21:52:08

Create different forests and bushy areas instead. We really don't need to many trees..... When you press, low and fast, who cares about trees ? Power lines, on the other hand...... :lol:
Yes, my ideas it's started thinking about areas, not single tree !
but I dont know how to reply a bush in korean terrain...
I've tried to apply a new "bush" model, but it appear only in airbase...
it will be great if the bush it can cover a large area, in random positions, as the Daws thread (on frugs) he explain with good screenshot 8-)
but the project is dead... and I'm very sorry about it !
just want to continue in this way, but dunno how :roll:

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-12-19 22:22:50

qawa67 wrote:
Yes, my ideas it's started thinking about areas, not single tree !
but I dont know how to reply a bush in korean terrain...
I've tried to apply a new "bush" model, but it appear only in airbase...
it will be great if the bush it can cover a large area, in random positions, as the Daws thread (on frugs) he explain with good screenshot 8-)
but the project is dead... and I'm very sorry about it !
just want to continue in this way, but dunno how :roll:
The reason the bush model appeared only in an airbase was because it was a feature belonging only to that airbase model. You would be better off putting the bush (or tree) in a single model (and not as just a feature), i.e., as an objective (similar to the highway objectives or mountain pass objectives). Additionally, you could also edit an existing objective (one of the forest objects which have many, many trees in various sizes) to add your bush/tree. Then you could use this objectives in multiple places throughout the theater.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

qawa67
2nd Lt

Post by qawa67 » 2007-12-19 23:34:02

Thanks Sherlock :)

I'll try :wink:

Cally
Recruit

Re: Trees

Post by Cally » 2009-03-25 01:16:59

Just so I'm 100% clear here: the ONLY way to add trees (or any 3d object) to terrain is to make them part of an objective and place that objective on the map? There are no stationary 3d objects in Falcon that are not part of an objective entity?

Thanks,
Cal

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-03-25 17:42:51

Cally wrote:Just so I'm 100% clear here: the ONLY way to add trees (or any 3d object) to terrain is to make them part of an objective and place that objective on the map? There are no stationary 3d objects in Falcon that are not part of an objective entity?

Thanks,
Cal
Correct.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Echo300
Recruit

Post by Echo300 » 2009-03-27 13:21:24

Instead of adding individual trees, why not one very low poly forest? At its simplest it would just be a 60 ft high, mile long, mile wide rectangle. With a nice texture too, of course. It would only work in flat areas, but it's better than nothing. Has this been tried? Otherwise, I'll play around with the idea some more. This big rectangle-thing could be big enough that it would make sense as an objective, right?

Return to “Terrain / Theater”