idx / wch - theater objective name strings

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

idx / wch - theater objective name strings

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-03 02:15:41

Theater objective name strings which are stored in the <theater>.idx / <theater>.wch files can be written to text and back with WitchFix util by BaldEagle tools.

Now, I just discovered that if the name of any objective in the theater starts with ' character or empty/space, then tacedit will go nuts and breaks the wch file pretty much. Apparently you can use ' character in the name like "King's Castle" kind of thing, just dont start the name with it like "'Kings Castle" way. I believe some RV/OF guy just posted this piece of info but I tried to search without results, so who ever you are credit goes to you for the initial heads up.

The idx file is the index numbers which refer into the wch file that is the strings. As said use witchfix to write it as plain text (remember to select TXT first otherwise witchfix just gives an error).

The plain text of the entries in wch starts with these two always I believe (someone correct me if you know me being wrong).

Code: Select all

0	Nowhere
1	New
The next line is then the first name string of your theater and continues as many names you got there. Here is example of Europe theater's beginning ten string names:

Code: Select all

0	Nowhere
1	New
2	Kihnio
3	Mantta
4	Leivonmaki
5	Kankaanpaa
6	Mikkeli
7	Lassila
8	Pertunmaa
9	Sysma
10	Palus
Just wanted to make topic for this, as I was battling the broken names in Europe theater for DAYS. Hopefully this saves time from someone else with the same problem and also I hope to remember to include this info bit on the tutorials when they get updated.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Return to “Terrain / Theater”