SRTM data conversion to Falcon 4 Terrain format

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2007-03-14 17:34:35

It is not impossible redo the center coordinates from the corner coordinates if those are the only data available, but the way spherical correction is made, the terrain is in no way a 10 by 10 or 20 by 20 degree square.
Do you have the corner coords?
Remember there is a .txt made by dem2terrain that prints out these data...

ranger822
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Center Coordinates Confusion

Post by ranger822 » 2007-03-14 17:54:23

Closter I think you are right. I have look thru Israeli Theater files and it doesn't appear that it has found its way into any of the Israeli theater installs I have.

The terrain creator may or may not save this text file that includes the center coordinates. Since I didn't create the terrain I dont have the file.

I did find something on Korea. This looks to give possible correct coordinates for the SW corner if that helps at all.

==============================================
codec
LeadPursuit

Posted: 08 Mar 2001 01:00 pm Post subject: Re: 128 Campaign breakthru - Fixed in eFalcon v1.09 !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the thanks
One more thing in 1.09...
The Theater.map can have some extra bytes put on the end of it. These are
4byte integer - flags (currently unused)
4bute float - base longitude of the theater.
4byte float - base latitude of the theater
For korea - these numbers are
119.1148778F; //119 degrees, 6 minutes, 53.56
33.775918333F; // 33 degrees, 45 minutes, 33.06 secs

As far as I know, you can add these to existing .map files, and everything but 1.09 will ignore them. In 1.09 if they are present it will use them.

Julian.
===============================================

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Re: Theater Coordinates

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-14 18:29:34

ranger822 wrote:It seems a real shame not to have collected up the center coordinates for various theaters as a normal course of registering theaters in PMC. I.e. where each theater is described the SW and NE coordinates might be given to establish the terrain "BOX". Is there any merit in doing that now, if for no other reason than to see what theaters might be doable for Bluey's SRTM data workup. Maybe Snakeman will post up the center points for his theaters.
Am I completely missing your point or are you mistaken because our web site already lists all those dem2terrain produced theater values in the various theater pages.

Vietnam has it. Centered on: Lat 17 Long 105
ODS has it. Centered on: Lat 31 Long 43
Afghanistan has it. Centered on: Lat 33 Long 68
Europe has it. Centered on: Lat 53 Long 9
Nevada has it. Centered on: Lat 38 Long -115
Korea 128 doesn't have it online, but I of course have it on my hdd, so its Centered on: Lat 35 Long 128
Iran and Taiwan can be found on their topics.

Sorry if I didn't get what you were saying here :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ranger822
Banned user

I got your point

Post by ranger822 » 2007-03-14 21:25:58

Snakeman,

Thanks that was exactly what I was looking for ... Israeli Theater and Falklands 128. Which at the moment I just haven't located. After scouring thru posts on Israeli and Falklands the best I could come up with were center points for Falklands 64x64. So, I guess I am still pretty much out of luck. I am not sure I am up for rebuilding Israeli Theater terrain using SRTM and then rebuilding everything else that follows from there. I was hoping to basically drop SRTM over what exists and MAYBE retile and add a some new airbases from CCC's toys.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-14 22:55:02

I dont know what Falklands you are talking about, but the one I created for ccc (Falklands.SP.v0.1.BETA.zip) is setup like this

Theater name: falklands
Theater size: Regular
Size (L2 segments): 128 x 128
Size (L2 tiles): 2048 x 2048
Size (Nautical Miles): 1104.75 x 1104.75
Resolution: 0.134858 Nautical Miles
Centered on: Lat -47 Long -65
NW: Lat -37.7937 Long -76.6502
NE: Lat -37.7937 Long -53.3498
SW: Lat -56.2063 Long -81.552
SE: Lat -56.2063 Long -48.448
Highest point: 14628ft
Lowest point: 0ft

I have the original L2 and TDF files here in my hdd if they are required.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2007-03-15 10:23:58

@Ranger822: Can you run Pathmaker over Israel's theater.map?
Start PathMaker, select File -> Edit theater.map
It is supposed to be in terrdata\israel\terrain...
Edit: (Forget it, you know it well)

Then just tell me the SW coordinates..(even if it seems way off place)

ranger822
Banned user

SRTM for Israeli Theater and Falklands 128

Post by ranger822 » 2007-03-15 11:48:48

Re: Falklands -

@Snakeman, thanks for the info and for your HDD. Yes, that is the Falklands I am talking about. If you you think having the TDFs might be useful in an SRTM makeover, please give me a link that would be great.

@Blueprint - would you be interested in doing SRTM for Falklands based on the info from Snakeman? Falklands is my next theater project.

Re: Israeli Theater - @Closter, sure I will post the pathmaker info for Israeli's Theater.map file tonight. I took the one present using FFIsraeliTheater Installer. I also found the same file present in an older Israeli Theater install I had for SP3 so I am not sure if the *.map file was just thrown in as a filler, or Dudi intended for the file to be that way, or just made a mistake.

Zaggy
Colonel

Post by Zaggy » 2007-03-15 16:25:13

T_Rex wrote:
Blueprint wrote:I'm going to need a finished theater (64 size, center coordinates must be known) for testing the SRTM installer. Any suggestions?
How about stock Korea?
No go there, because KTO is NOT projected, plus, its what BaZT was... SRTM terrain for the Stock Korea theater!

You'd need to find a community theater, that was made with Dem2Terrain (which wont be hard! ;) ) for the test...
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell
Old-School, Grumpy and Anti-Social
Also to be found lurking round FighterOps

Zaggy
Colonel

Post by Zaggy » 2007-03-15 16:26:35

Oh sh|t... there was another page of posts since the quoted T-Rex post... damn my ignorance! ;)
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2007-03-15 18:07:57

LOL

Good point, though, about KTO not being projected! :D

Zagster FTW! ;) :)
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Zaggy
Colonel

Post by Zaggy » 2007-03-17 14:30:57

FTW??? F*ck The World?
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell

phoenix
Recruit

Post by phoenix » 2007-03-18 03:50:22

Zaggy wrote:FTW??? F*ck The World?
Huh,
Makes me laugh to see you guys over here pushing your weight around...

After the way you guys shit all over julian and the the AF team with your so called C&D shit i just gotta laugh my ass off...

Frugal and the rest of you lot have had a vengeance against AF from the word GO and it makes me piss my pants to see you guys even have the nerve to show your face round here and act like you OWN F4 :roll:

OF is an excellent package but you seem to forget who created F4BROWSE and TACEDIT...

All this bull about C&Ds from LP team and yet not 1 of you lot have the balls to show proof of these so called ALLEGATIONS...

Nothing against mark but my word at least have the backbone to admit whose programs your using to modify your version of falcon and at least admit that you guys are even today using this mans work to create the very campaigns ECT that are used in OF 8)

At least the FF3 team have let it drop and are getting on with it but my god when i see the way you lot have treated LP team and julian in particular i think its a downright disgrace...

Anyways happy paddys day from the emerald isle and god be with you and uncle mark and the rest of you ANTI AF dudes

:D

FALCON ROCKS (whatever version)

Forgive my boxers temper and may we all live in peace and harmony 8)

Godspeed :wink:

Blueprint
Recruit

Post by Blueprint » 2007-03-18 10:36:23

errr, topic??? :wink:

phoenix
Recruit

Post by phoenix » 2007-03-18 14:26:25

Sorry Zaggy,

I apologise for that post and you guys are ok...

Just looking at it this morning and im outta order bringing up this shit.

Jeez,
Everytime i get sloshed i get into a row :roll:

Woke up last week with two nice shiners and damned if i can remember how i even got em :shock:

Wife prolly gave me a few slaps when i was assleep :D

Anyways i dont mind the black eyes ect but jeez wept for a man of my age maybe its time to take a chill pill :D

Sorry again....

:)

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2007-03-19 01:04:18

Rerail this:

Please don't forget reading this

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-19 02:09:15

This topic is for SRTM data conversion to Falcon 4 Terrain format, please keep the discussion on topic. Thank you.

PMC since 1984

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2007-03-19 02:33:14

hehehe

For the Win. ;)

Oh, and to get it back on topic.... how close are we to a tutorial/toolset? :D
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

phoenix
Recruit

Post by phoenix » 2007-03-19 03:13:20

Snake Man wrote:This topic is for SRTM data conversion to Falcon 4 Terrain format, please keep the discussion on topic. Thank you.

Sorry...

I apologize about that...

Uhm wont happen again :)

Blueprint
Recruit

Post by Blueprint » 2007-03-19 11:16:02

T_Rex wrote:.... how close are we to a tutorial/toolset? :D
Haven't gotten around yet to writing the instructions. Regarding the tools, it looks like I'll be sending out the installer along with the SRTM data for a theater.

Zaggy
Colonel

Post by Zaggy » 2007-03-25 14:26:17

phoenix wrote:
Huh,
Makes me laugh to see you guys over here pushing your weight around...

After the way you guys shit all over julian and the the AF team with your so called C&D shit i just gotta laugh my ass off...

Frugal and the rest of you lot have had a vengeance against AF from the word GO and it makes me piss my pants to see you guys even have the nerve to show your face round here and act like you OWN F4 :roll:

OF is an excellent package but you seem to forget who created F4BROWSE and TACEDIT...

All this bull about C&Ds from LP team and yet not 1 of you lot have the balls to show proof of these so called ALLEGATIONS...

Nothing against mark but my word at least have the backbone to admit whose programs your using to modify your version of falcon and at least admit that you guys are even today using this mans work to create the very campaigns ECT that are used in OF 8)

At least the FF3 team have let it drop and are getting on with it but my god when i see the way you lot have treated LP team and julian in particular i think its a downright disgrace...

Anyways happy paddys day from the emerald isle and god be with you and uncle mark and the rest of you ANTI AF dudes

:D

FALCON ROCKS (whatever version)

Forgive my boxers temper and may we all live in peace and harmony 8)

Godspeed :wink:
Firstly, just for the record, I dont think TRex and I have been 'going at it' here at all... Unless Im mistaken, I havent siad an anti-AF thing here either; as for TRex, well cant say ive sen him say anything bad either!

As for C&D Shit, not sure what exactly youre referring to..

I dont think Frugs has it in for AF... He's one of the fairest blokes ive met... He hosts an AF forum at FW, and again, cant remember him coming out against AF...

I, like TRex here probably, have concerns over AF and etc, but no one is getting into them here, so its kinda irrelevant!

As for the Apps i have used to mod F4, what are you saying? Ive claimed those tools as my own? I dont know what that meant but rest assured i've never forgotten the guys who made most of the tools... They used to hang round here at PMC and on the IRC channel.. Those are the guys who inspired me to mod F4 and try and write some of my own tools, and work with guys like Blueprint who is one of the current generation of tool creators!

As for the LP team, plenty has been said, and i stand by what ive said in the past about it, but i dont understand why you're airing all this here!

Now Finally, PUSHING OUR WEIGHT ROUND? Im sure Snakey here would remind both Trex about nicesties the instant we did that. But again, neither TRex nor I are doing that!

Contrary to popular beleif, im NOT the psycho myth has painted! TRex and I, in this thread, are just bantering idea's back and forth... As for the F*ck the World call, well, where i come from FTW means just that!

Now, did i miss anything?
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell

Zaggy
Colonel

Post by Zaggy » 2007-03-25 14:30:47

phoenix wrote:Sorry Zaggy,

I apologise for that post and you guys are ok...

Just looking at it this morning and im outta order bringing up this shit.

Jeez,
Everytime i get sloshed i get into a row :roll:

Woke up last week with two nice shiners and damned if i can remember how i even got em :shock:

Wife prolly gave me a few slaps when i was assleep :D

Anyways i dont mind the black eyes ect but jeez wept for a man of my age maybe its time to take a chill pill :D

Sorry again....

:)
Its cool... I just have ABSOLUTELY no idea where you were coming from, nor what text in this entire thread (in which no sparring even, between TRex and I happened!) triggered that!

Again, i dont see anyone round here throwing weight round! I see ppl working a problem, and good old Bluey, trying to provide a resolution with the input of Closter, Snakey, TRex, etc...

Life isnt all about going head to head; and frankly, there is no reason to go head to head over here!
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell

Zaggy
Colonel

Post by Zaggy » 2007-03-25 14:36:43

Blueprint wrote:
T_Rex wrote:.... how close are we to a tutorial/toolset? :D
Haven't gotten around yet to writing the instructions. Regarding the tools, it looks like I'll be sending out the installer along with the SRTM data for a theater.
So its a case of send your Request to Bluey, and he'll get back to you??
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell

phoenix
Recruit

Post by phoenix » 2007-03-25 15:19:12

AGREED :D

I made a wrong call and i apologise... 8)

Sometimes i get a little over paronoid and way too hotheaded :)

Lets move on and fuck the history as its not my business anyway.

Godspeed...

Zaggy
Colonel

Post by Zaggy » 2007-03-25 17:43:18

And Its all good Phoenix... ;) We all fuck up now and then... Even Me!!! (*The Gallery is heard to GASP in amazement!*)

But, never fuck history! History is where you learn about the future from... ;) But I understand...

But have you seen in the sister thread to this one, how bluey has made the spain theater guys an SRTM mesh??
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell

phoenix
Recruit

Post by phoenix » 2007-03-25 17:54:37

Zaggy wrote:And Its all good Phoenix... ;) We all fuck up now and then... Even Me!!! (*The Gallery is heard to GASP in amazement!*)

But, never fuck history! History is where you learn about the future from... ;) But I understand...

But have you seen in the sister thread to this one, how bluey has made the spain theater guys an SRTM mesh??

Thanks daniel,

Yeah been following it along and gotta say this terrain looks truly awesome...

Great to see these this place chugging along again and all these theaters getting worked on (F4 never looked better) :)

Good for you guys...

Keep the faith :D

Zaggy
Colonel

Post by Zaggy » 2007-03-26 15:38:05

Yes, it is good to see interest in this kinda stuff again.

I can see Bluey's 'SRTM Patcher' or whatever he calls it, revitalising a LOT of interest in Terrain too!
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-26 23:34:19

Zaggy wrote:Yes, it is good to see interest in this kinda stuff again.

I can see Bluey's 'SRTM Patcher' or whatever he calls it, revitalising a LOT of interest in Terrain too!
Absolutely! Closter, you and Blueprint working this out (and whomever else contributed!) was exactly why I started this thread. I knew "we" had the technology, but the uneducated among us (namely me) needed to work through the process again with you guys so we could understand it. And now with the tool that Blueprint is going to make available to us it will be a dream come true for all current and future theaters! Yeah! :)
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-27 00:26:47

Is it true that the tool wont work with 128 theater terrain?

PMC since 1984

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2007-03-27 07:28:50

Is it true that the tool wont work with 128 theater terrain?
I suppose you say that because of the CTDs that Blueprint had while processing data. All I know is Spain is a 128 segment terrain and BaZT works and installs the new relief. So it must work for others.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-27 07:57:51

But in Falklands topic ranger822 said
ranger822 wrote:communication with Blueprint indicates that the data is so big he can't process it with his current computer.

PMC since 1984

Blueprint
Recruit

Post by Blueprint » 2007-03-27 10:18:14

128 theaters can work. The problem with falklands is the extreme southern latitude. The projected area requires a lot more SRTM data to be loaded than spain and that hits the 2 GB limit for Win32 applications.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-27 10:59:30

Ah okay I understand now.

So Blueprint, not to overwhelm you with requests but when can we start to fantasize about SRTM data for various PMC theaters? :)

PMC since 1984

Blueprint
Recruit

Post by Blueprint » 2007-03-27 11:21:25

Once the procedure has been worked out and the tools are finished.

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2007-03-27 12:17:43

The projected area requires a lot more SRTM data to be loaded than spain and that hits the 2 GB limit for Win32 applications.
Yes, of course, I forgot it! The way SRTM data are made, its density increases with latitude. If you have 1 sample every 3 arc-sec, over equator this means about 90 m, but as you go up to higher latitudes, density increases with the inverse of the cosinus of the latitude... so in latitude -55º S in Patagonia that means 1 sample every 51 m. The theaters are 2047 km wide, so that means 39600 samples per row!!

May I suggest you discard every other sample? :)

Zaggy
Colonel

Post by Zaggy » 2007-03-29 11:57:59

OK here is a thought tho... Falklands is a LOT of water... Bluey, can we write you app in such a way that, it assumes 0ft elevation for any data NOT provided. So you only need to load enough data to get the land masses done...

OR have you already considered this?

Alternatively, can you divide the operation into HALF... Process say the Top half of the theater first, save, then come back and do the lower half, and patch them together?

Just idea's...
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell

ranger822
Banned user

Falklands Theater Terrain Project

Post by ranger822 » 2007-03-29 14:14:52

OK here is a thought tho... Falklands is a LOT of water... Bluey, can we write you app in such a way that, it assumes 0ft elevation for any data NOT provided. So you only need to load enough data to get the land masses done...
I heard that . . .. I was thinking to my self something along the same lines. Is it possible to mix the data up . . i.e. use the orignial 128 dem for everything except the Falkland Islands - -mostly water and then leave Argentina unprocessed. . . so even less actual data to change out. Maybe it doesn't work that way . . . but honestly the only part of Falklands that I am interested in fighting is over the islands. I think the main reason we even need the Argentine bases is a source to generate the missions for Red forces. MacFalcon was working on a Falklands 64 but the amount of space for the Argentine airbases was simply too small and unrealistic.

Couby
1st Lt

Post by Couby » 2007-04-05 10:40:51

Any news for a tutorial about building terrain with SRTM data ? :oops:
ImageImage

Zaggy
Colonel

Post by Zaggy » 2007-04-05 14:24:45

Yeah... make your theater asper usual... then when youre ready to release, let bluey know, who will carve you out a nice SRTM mesh and installer, and voila!
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell

Couby
1st Lt

Post by Couby » 2007-04-05 20:29:36

Zaggy wrote:Yeah... make your theater asper usual... then when youre ready to release, let bluey know, who will carve you out a nice SRTM mesh and installer, and voila!
Great :D , I love that tutorial :oops: :!:

By advance thanks to Bluey ;).
ImageImage

Ratty

Post by Ratty » 2007-04-07 13:21:56

Well this is good news.
Again bluey you blow me away everytime you set out to do something.

Return to “Terrain / Theater”