CampTool

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

CampTool

Post by Snake Man » 2007-01-07 17:33:42

The mysterious CampTool from the good old times. What is it?

This is my recollection of it, it was just an parameter how you run F4 itself however it might have been some debug exe also, I just can't remember now. It was this campaign creation tool with lots of features yet it was quite buggy or fragile and crashed alot if you just poked around in there. It was run on window mode and therefore I recall it was just some F4 exe run with parameter, dunno.

Here is some reference links I found

Tazz post on Frugals forums.

topic 1 and topic 2 at combatsim.com forum.

If anyone knows more details, please post here.

Here is documentation or tips rather written by Dr. Fred "BaldEagle" Balding. Actually, heh I better ask him about this heh.

Falcon 4 Campaign Tool (CAMPTOOL)

Some Thoughts Above Using CAMTOOL:
  • Do not run the "splash" screen (F4 GUI. Just use the Campaign Tool, Debug and Toolbar windows. There may be problems (crashes) due to the graphics drivers you are using (3DFX), which will be aggravated by running the F4 GUI.

When you move around in the Campaign Tool map, do not make big jumps. There seems to be a problem with moving too fast.

Using the Balkans.thr theater file may be unstable when selected while a Korean campaign is loaded. Use the "New" campaign selection.

When Dialog Boxes and some of the Drop-down menus are exited, the map will not repaint. Go to View and click on refresh. I will fix this later.

To display the Campaign Tool window (theater map), select "Display" from the Debug Window Campaign menu item.

To start the campaign running, after selecting a campaign with the "Campaign/Load" selection, click on "Campaign/Paused" selection. The "Sim/Paused" selection doesn't start the campaign.
Keyboard Commands:

Key Function

a - Add Unit
A - Assign Battery to Brigade/Division
b - Show Stats
B - Show SAMs, Radar and Ownership
c - Weather Edit mode
C - Regroup Brigade
d - Dumping (????)
D - Delete Unit
e - Edit Teams
E - State edit toggle
f - N/A
F - Show Flanks
g - Point selection 1 <-> 2
G - Zero out point selection
H - Toggle SAM & Emitter Edit mode
l - Link generation - if Linking on ("Linking" displayed in Toolbar window), place cursor over (near) objective and press "l", place cursor on (near) 2nd objective and press "l". Link will be display in white.
L - Show links.
m - Edit Mission Triggers.
M - Bring up small theater map. (Displays Friendly/Enemy Radar or Air Defense coverage).
n - If State editing, selects nearest Objective.
N - Toggles between Cover, Relief and Both modes
o - Start Objective Edit mode.
O - Turn On/Off Objectives.
p - Find & show path between 2 Objectives. Place cursor over (near) 1st Objective, press "p", then place cursor over (near) 2nd Objective, then press "p". Path is displayed in white.
P - Find & show path between 2 Objective. Press on "P", click on 1st Objective, then place cursor over (near) 2nd Objective. Click "P". Path is displayed in red.
Q - Show Mission List. (????)
r - Edit Team Relations.
R - Toggle Roads On/Off.
s - Select Squadron.
S - Show Search path (????)
t - Decrease Compression Time.
T - Increase Compression Time.
u - If a Unit has been selected and a 2nd point (destination?) selected, press "u" to move Unit. (????)
U - Toggle Units On/Off.
v - Get top Priority Objectives and Team Situation. (????)
w - Edit Unit Waypoint.
W - Toggle Waypoints On/Off.
x/X - Zoom Out and Center on cursor.
z/Z - Zoom Out and Center on cursor.
"1" - "8" - If 2nd selection, then set Objective's Owner = Key# + 1, else, set nearest to cursor Objective's Owner = Key# + 1.
END - NoInput = 0. (????)
INSERT - If Mode = Relief , increase Relief Type under cursor. If Mode = Cloud Level , increase Cloud Level under cursor.
DELETE - If Mode = Relief , decrease Relief Type under cursor. If Mode = Cloud Level , decrease Cloud Level under cursor.

Mouse Functions:

Right mouse button:
Action depends on Edit Code:
For Ground Cover, Relief, Roads, Rails, Cloud Cover and Cloud Level -
Draw Mode turned on and Right-click gets the texture/feature under the cursor and
Left-click puts (paints) the current texture/feature under cursor.

For Objective & Unit Edit Modes - brings up Dialog Box for Objective/Unit under/nearest cursor.

Left Mouse Button:
Action depends on Edit Code:
For Ground Cover, Relief, Roads, Rails, Cloud Cover and Cloud Level - Turn off Draw Mode.

For Objective, WP & Unit Edit Modes - Drag-n-Drop (move) item.

Edit mode - CTRL-Left Mouse Button pastes selected (with Right Mouse Button) texture

Miscellaneous Info for Later Use:
  • OneObjective <- Objective nearest cursor. ObjectiveOne is the 1st selected Objective.
    ShowReal = 1 Real (active) Units
    ShowReal = 2 Inactive Units
    ShowReal = 3 Division Units
    ShowReal = 0 Parent Units
    Campaign Window “View” selections: Cover & Relief, Cover, Relief, Cloud Cover and Cloud Levels turns on Edit and Draw Modes for the respective item.
    Campaign Window “Edit” selections: Cover & Relief, Cover, Relief, Cloud Cover, Cloud Levels, Roads and Rails turns on Edit and Draw Modes for the respective item.
    View Objective Owner = ObjMode 0
    View Objective Priority = ObjMode 1
    View Objective Type = ObjMode 2
    View Real Parents = ShowReal 0
    View Real Units = ShowReal 1
    View Real Reinforcements = ShowReal 2
    View Real Divisions = ShowReal 3
    Output functions:
    Output Obj Locations – file “Objloc.txt”
    Output Obj Locations (map) – file “Objloc.raw”
    Output Unit Locations Types – file “Unitloc.txt”
    Output Reinforcements – file “Reinloc.txt”
    Generate PAK Map – file “pakmap.raw”
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Post by Sherlock » 2007-01-07 18:42:23

Interesting SM.

I know there are campaign creating screens embedded in all Falcon .exe (even AF). But no one (to my knowledge) has known how to "activate" them to date. We thought they were just left over and never brought to the point where they could be utilized.

So you are saying there is a command line switch (maybe) that will enable that capability?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-01-08 02:53:06

Sherlock wrote:So you are saying there is a command line switch (maybe) that will enable that capability?
As I speculated, I got cofirmation from BaldEagle that indeed it was a specially compiled debug exe from the v1.07 leaked sources. It was F4 yes... but I think I just had the debug exe to test this CampTool, back in the day we couldn't create campaigns and this tool was really interesting.

Also I must remind that this topic is rather to reminice old memories, it has nothing to do with making campaign creation any more better or easier in 2007. You have Tacedit + info, use them.

But all information or screenshots etc with this CampTool would be appreciated. If someone does actually have the old F4 debug exe which (can) run this CampTool I'd be interested and as before, feel free to post info to PMC forums, we wont lynch you here (I suppose such exe would be iLl3gAl and all).
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Return to “Terrain / Theater”