Creating .PAL

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Crazy
Recruit

Creating .PAL

Post by Crazy » 2002-05-31 16:49:00

Hello. When reading the tutorial you lose me when comes the time to make the .PAL file. I don,t understand how to make it even after having read the Texture tutorial.

Any clues? Can we use the fartile.pal?

THanks

Crazy

Widowmaker
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Re: Creating .PAL

Post by Widowmaker » 2002-06-01 06:36:00

creating a good pal file is not too easy.

basically you need to do this only after completing a full tileset.

do you got perl installed?
if not do that first.

I'll explain the rest tonight

Widmak
Widmak

faucon101
Recruit

Post by faucon101 » 2002-06-01 11:28:00

just to be sure...

me and crazy working on the same project... we need a pallette file (.pal) when we generate terrain!

i guess sometings... if i create a big 16million colors image... and past into it one tiles for every set (Acost, Hcost, tbase...) from the texture.zip. Then i will have (i guess) every color possible on it. convert it to 256 colors and save the pallette... not the file.
its for dem2terrain when we save.

one time...i use one .pal on PSP pallette folder (by error)...and i dont have some color in my map...like the water.

we have to do a new (fartiles.pal) whit this pallette like the one in falcon4 whit Perl... maybe for later...or when we use some new tiles whit new colors. but is not the file we need for dem2terrain?

in this case...we dont have any new tiles... maybe a default pallette (for default tiles) file was created and ready for download??? cuz its true...its pretty hard to set this .pal file... in my case... i hope i do it correctly!

what??? i got it or im completly lost? hehe

Just to be sure! i hope this post will help you to anwser!

(((we (crazy and me) have perl allready installed.)))

Faucon

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2002-06-01 18:04:00

quote:Originally posted by faucon101:
me and crazy working on the same project...
What project is that, maybe something to be added into theaters page? ;)
quote:we need a pallette file (.pal) when we generate terrain!
dem2terrain asks PAL file which is the Jasc Paint Shop Pro color palette .pal save file.

Open one of your T tiles with psp and select color save palette.

That is the file dem2terrain wants.
quote:16million colors image... and past into it one tiles for every set (Acost, Hcost, tbase...) from the texture.zip.
Widowmaker is really the fartile god here, but if I'm not mistaken you do not need to put ALL tile-sets in there (I think it says that on our lame tutorial, doh). You just add the tiles that have the most difference in colors so you get the full color scale of your textures.
quote:convert it to 256 colors and save the pallette... not the file. its for dem2terrain when we save.
You should save this "fartiles" big 16 million color file, reduce its size to 16x16 res and 256 colors. Why to have huge 1024x768 file as same techical stuff works in smaller file also.

This fartiles image is then used with runtiles batch processing to create your other tiles.

And yes the saved palette from that file is used for dem2terrain.

PMC TFW
Snake Man
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

faucon101
Recruit

Post by faucon101 » 2002-06-01 19:25:00

*(What project is that, maybe something to be added into theaters page?)

maybe... its will be a honor! we are from 101 ECV Québecairforce squadron http://www.quebecairforce.com/ and we just want to recreate a Québec <--(Canada state) theater for our free times and for fun. but if we got one day something good... maybe we will create a complete theater whit a campaign. but for now... we just want to see our country in falcon4 and play whit tiles. its a 64x64 center are 47.7 -75.2 in dem2terrain... so take a look. we got a part of Ontario for main ennemies... and part of US. you will say... a war in that??? i will say... our canadian governement allready test any possiblity of invasion from Québec. they just dont trust and having noting to do... bcuz in this democratical country we try to vote to libarate the Québec form Canada. but here...hehehe we want to fly! :)
maybe in futur? i hope not the way we simulate it! :) yes the site http://www.quebecairforce.com/ is in french)

Faucon

araquael
Recruit

Post by araquael » 2002-06-05 03:30:00

hahahaha.

Pity there is no decent CF-18s to shoot down your invasion attempts :D

Still it would be fun. First one to blow Celine Dion's house up wins!

Gavin

Return to “Terrain / Theater”