ODS v0.6 bug reports

Operation Desert Storm theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

ODS v0.6 bug reports

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-02 07:17:06

This is Operation Desert Storm theater v0.6 bug reports topic. Please discuss only a bugs here, not praise if the theater is good or you're having nice time running it. Also when reporting, check that the bug hasn't been mentioned on this first post already.

--- bugs
- add AB tiles 11_29-AB_to_Arable_Land.rar from Sherlock.
- Open Falcon bug, F-16s not selectable for TE.
- Bahrain international; 3D objects placed on adjacent tile to airbase tile.
- Bahregan airbase Iran is half in the ocean.
- if squadron is named 0th, it means we have no real world information about it.
- CTD in 1st and 3rd campaign in Iraqi freedom.
- few remaining old 128 res tiles left, mostly road/river transitions.
- 08_26 city airbase tiles missing from .bin.
- 08_26 desert airbase tiles missing from .bin.
- 11_29 city airbase tiles missing from .bin.
- 11_29 forest airbase tiles missing from .bin.
- 01_19 rough grazing tiles missing from .bin.
- 01_19 city airbase tiles missing from .bin.
- 32_14 irrigated airbase (2 ABs) tiles missing from .bin.
- 21_03 desert (or city, take a pick) airbase tiles missing from .bin.
- no theaterlabel for F4AF.
- 1991 ODS theater tga file typo "dessert".
- forest to grazing(?) road transition palette wrong.
- CATE AB unknown type airbase too low, desert. ODS_bug-001.jpg

--- fixes v0.7
- added AF historical 1991 database edits (removed new weapons such as AIM-120 etc).
- added RV historical 1991 database edits (removed new weapons such as AIM-120 etc).
- wrong tile color palette on hbase3a*, fixed.
- wrong tile color palette on hbase54*, fixed.
- wrong tile color palette on hbase56*, fixed.
- wrong tile color palette on hbase59*, fixed.
- wrong tile color palette on hbase62*, fixed.
- wrong tile color palette on hbase63*, fixed.
- wrong tile color palette on hbase52*, fixed.
- RV UI campaign selection maps missing, added.
- RV UI campaign selection buttons missing, added.
- RV UI intel maps missing, added.
- RV campaign strings not done, added.
- RV campaign names not done, added.
- tacan information missing/korean, ie ODS stations.dat not used, fixed.
Last edited by Snake Man on 2007-11-26 10:01:37, edited 6 times in total.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Trynian

Post by Trynian » 2007-04-03 02:26:01

Thanks for all the hard work. Installed it today for AF

Desert Storm: all seems to be working so far can load into any of the 3 campaign options and start the campaigns.

Iraqi Freedom: Can load in and start the campaign using the middle option. The 1st option and the 3rd option, (tiger spirit and iron fortress buttons) when I commit AF crashes. Probably not a bug becasue I noticed in the theatre description it only lists one scenario while DS lists 3.

Persion Eagle so far seems working fine on all 3 scenarios.

City density around Bagdad looks a little thin. Are there limitations regarding things like that?

I will post more if any as I get into the missions further.

Add-On bug

The installer may need some work. I saw this the first time I installed but wasnt sure so I tested it again.

first run of the installer only Iraqi Freedom and Persian Eagle installed. I think the data for Desert storm installed but it didn't show up on the list. Installed again without removing previous install and all 3 showed up.
Removed it all and started over. First install Desert storm did not show up again. Ran installer again and it showed up after second run.

So it seems people may need to run it twice to get them all showing up.

Khronik
PMC Theater Developer

Post by Khronik » 2007-04-03 07:07:06

Installer seems to have an issue with AF users that dont have the original Falcon installed.

I see your using SPTinstall to generate the terrain Lx files for AF. From what ive seen, SPTinstall needs to see a registry entry for Falcon4 (not AF) to function. With ODSAF we did not use SPTinstall since it was dependant on a Falcon4 install on the client system. Instead we used a undisclosed version that instead looks for a AF path instead but seems to function the same as SPTinstall.

Reports on frugals about SPTinstall reporting not finding a F4 install seem to point to this, and are starting to appear. It seems unclear to some why one person can install the ODS 0.6 while the other cant though it probably since that user dosent have the earlier falcon installed.

Trynian

Post by Trynian » 2007-04-03 08:43:04

Khronik wrote:Installer seems to have an issue with AF users that dont have the original Falcon installed.

I see your using SPTinstall to generate the terrain Lx files for AF. From what ive seen, SPTinstall needs to see a registry entry for Falcon4 (not AF) to function. With ODSAF we did not use SPTinstall since it was dependant on a Falcon4 install on the client system. Instead we used a undisclosed version that instead looks for a AF path instead but seems to function the same as SPTinstall.

Reports on frugals about SPTinstall reporting not finding a F4 install seem to point to this, and are starting to appear. It seems unclear to some why one person can install the ODS 0.6 while the other cant though it probably since that user dosent have the earlier falcon installed.
Interesting. I have never had The original Falcon 4. Started with AF. I checked my registry and somehow I do have the Microprose F4 Registry inputs but I am not sure where it came from.

Only thing I can think of is that one time I loaded an early version of RV then removed it and reload AF. I know RV uses some of the old Falcon Code so I could have gotten the entries there. I dont think I used any uninstall program to take RV out either, just deleted the directories and reloaded AF so the Registry entries probaby survived.

Trynian

Squadron Bug

Post by Trynian » 2007-04-04 05:39:25

Version AF Bug:

Desert Storm:
Several of the squadrons for the ROK or US side show as 0th Squadron in the list when you are choosing which to join and start the campaign.

Most seem to be helicopter attack squadrons but a couple are fighter squadrons.

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Post by Sherlock » 2007-04-04 14:30:19

Several guys having installation problems with V0.6 and posting about it here over at Frugals:

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/show ... 487&page=4
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Doc0301
Recruit

Post by Doc0301 » 2007-04-04 19:14:17

ODSv0.6 causes OF crash when I try to run it !!

Had ODS512 installed before. When I installed ODSv0.6, I noticed in UI /Theater that 'Operation Desert Storm', 'Operation Iraqi freedom' and 'Operation Persian Eagle' apeared twice ! When I then tried to run the new versions, the sim crashed (BMS.exe problem). ODS512 still works normal. When I deleted ODS512, I was unable to open OF!! :shock: After recovering ODS512 from dustbin, everything worked normal again...

Can anyone tell me what is going on here? What do I have to do to make the v.06 run normally?

Fafa
Captain

Post by Fafa » 2007-04-04 21:14:26

Some people who are testing a little patch I made before had to uninstall ODS512 before by deleting his folder and his entry in theater.lst.

Seems to work after a re-installation.
And the OF fix I did seems to work in almost case.
http://fafa.griffons.free.fr/Falcon4/Screen/ODS/PE.jpg
http://fafa.griffons.free.fr/Falcon4/Sc ... craft1.jpg
http://fafa.griffons.free.fr/Falcon4/Sc ... craft2.jpg
http://fafa.griffons.free.fr/Falcon4/Sc ... craft3.jpg
Last edited by Fafa on 2007-04-05 17:04:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-04 21:51:43

Khronik wrote:SPTinstall needs to see a registry entry for Falcon4 (not AF) to function.
Oh, didn't know that.

Now we need version independent terrain rebuilder then, snif.
Trynian wrote:squadrons for the ROK or US side show as 0th Squadron
What about other squadron numbers? Do you see other squadrons than F16 and AWACS which are the "official" AF planes to fly?
Doc0301 wrote:What do I have to do to make the v.06 run normally?
You need to of course delete all other ODS versions before installing v0.6.
Fafa wrote:The link (replace only the first theater Desertstorm campaigns, modifies the desertstorm tdf to use the desert skins)
Okay Fafa, now you need to run these patches through PMC channels. If/when you want to edit and release something, talk to me and we coordinate on the forums here what you wish to do and possibly include it on the next release either by adding a new "theater" or implementing your fixes into the official campaigns.

I respectfully ask you to remove the v0.6 fix for now and talk us through that first. Thank you very much.

Also, please, PLEASE do not hotlink images of well over 400kb, its just not nice.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Doc0301
Recruit

Post by Doc0301 » 2007-04-04 23:14:01

Doc0301 wrote:What do I have to do to make the v.06 run normally?
You need to of course delete all other ODS versions before installing v0.6.

So, what do you suggest I do now?

1. Delete ODS6.0
2. Delete ODS512
3. Re-install ODS6.0

In that order? Remember: when I deleted ODS512 (after installing 0.6) I couldn't open OF at all !!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-04 23:20:24

Well do what ever you do to start OF, then select Korea theater, then exit. Now delete all ODS directories and remove all desstorm remarks from the theaters.lst file with text editor.

Then you can install v0.6 and it should work ok. Let us know how it turns out.

PMC since 1984

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2007-04-04 23:45:54

Yeah, I suspect that the AF people who are able to install this ODS probably snuck a peak at RV at some point. ;) :)
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Trynian

Post by Trynian » 2007-04-04 23:52:00

Snake Man wrote:
Trynian wrote:squadrons for the ROK or US side show as 0th Squadron
What about other squadron numbers? Do you see other squadrons than F16 and AWACS which are the "official" AF planes to fly?
Yes I see all squadrons on any given base that has any when I click on the particular base in the selection screen. Most have numbers but only a few show as 0th. It does allow me to join any squadron including none official AF planes.

The bases that are showing 0th squadron along with the numbered ones:

King Khalid Military City: 5 0th squadrons, 3 are helos and 2 list Gazelle* as the vehicle type.

Ras All Kahfji Army Base: All 12 squads are 0th squadrons and all are helo aircraft types.

Taif: 1 0th squadron that is an F-117A Aircraft

Shaikh Isa: 2 0th squadrons 1 is an F-16-52 and 1 is an F-5E aircraft.

in the campaign when assigned a mission in the ATO they show up as a 0th squadron. in Order of Battle when selecting the same locations they show the as 0th squadron.

For grins I checked the Save0.cam file in DesertStorm 1 campaign folder with tacedit and under the units tab the listed squadrons above showed in the name grid on the spread sheet as 0 while all the others have a numbers assigned.

Tested one and changed it and it still showed as 0th on the selction screen before starting the campaign but once the campaign was started it then took on the number that I assigned it.

Also noticed while checking this out that several SAM and RADAR sites are listed as nowhere vs. something like Sakakha SAM Site in the order of battle page.

Hope that all helps.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-05 13:21:32

The squadrons being "0th" named is because I didn't have real life squadron designation number data available, its just a placerholder.

Why v0.6 in AF allows you to join any aircraft means that the validac.BIN file is not copied into the ODS campaign directory. Please copy the file from campaign/save/ directory into the ODS campaign directories. Then you cant fly anything except the official AF supported planes.

Can you point out on what area, for example near what city you see SAM site named nowhere?

(The above was pointed for Trynian).

And now about the installer, if there is problem for AF ONLY users, could we do a .reg file or simply tell about it in readme how to use regedit/etc to modify the registry so the installer works?

I am not going to support installer that ADDS stuff to users registrys, but we can of course offer this help tip in form of "installer hotfix" or so where users are free to choose if they use it or not and they will be completely informed about what it does.

PMC since 1984

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2007-04-05 15:00:36

I think I have something that will add the appropriate basedir registry key, and even prompt the user to delete it, if it finds it.

Unfortunately, I have no way of testing it. :D

If someone else wants it, go ahead and PM me. I've PM'd a link to SM and Khronik.
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Khronik
PMC Theater Developer

Post by Khronik » 2007-04-05 16:27:31

I thought SM was against playing with the registry?
Hehe..

Anyhow,

I PM'd you T-REX about what lines SPTinstall needs. Logically I thought it was baseDir only though after testing it seems it needs <theaterdir> also. So in a nutshell, SPTinstalll.exe requires BOTH baseDir and theaterdir.

Khronik.

Fafa
Captain

Post by Fafa » 2007-04-05 17:07:48

Link deleted :wink: .
Just an observation. I think each theater could have a dedicated DB but this DB must be unique to OF/AF/RV versions which can also reduce the number of campaigns and the time passed on tacedit.

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2007-04-05 17:10:02

Fafa - you want to test the utility? I'll PM you the link. :)

A new one was built just in the last 5 minutes taking into account K's info.

:D
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Fafa
Captain

Post by Fafa » 2007-04-05 17:14:23

Trynian

Post by Trynian » 2007-04-06 01:37:21

Snake Man wrote:The squadrons being "0th" named is because I didn't have real life squadron designation number data available, its just a placerholder.
I figured this was probably the case but just wanted to make sure.
Snake Man wrote:Can you point out on what area, for example near what city you see SAM site named nowhere?
Ill try but after looking closer at the map during the campaign there seems to be quite a few. Stay tuned.

update: best way I think is to show you pictures of them. these are only the pictures of the ones that show as nowhere in order of battle. many of the sams radar and bases do show with names.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=495683

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=495685

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=495684

There were also bridges that showed as nowhere but I didnt count those up.

This is in Falcon AF. It was also this way in the previous odsaf install that I had before and removed before installing this version.

Ill check the .cam with tracedit to see if I can find any trend why.

Doc0301
Recruit

Post by Doc0301 » 2007-04-06 08:01:00

Snake Man wrote:Well do what ever you do to start OF, then select Korea theater, then exit. Now delete all ODS directories and remove all desstorm remarks from the theaters.lst file with text editor.

Then you can install v0.6 and it should work ok. Let us know how it turns out.
Sorry for the late reply. Didn't have much time to fly. (I know: sleep is overrated). Just had a quick look at 'Operation Desert Storm' in IA. Looks magnificent !!! Will try to test rest later

Doc0301
Recruit

Post by Doc0301 » 2007-04-06 09:22:34

Forgot something:

In IA and in Campaign I get Korean Map + Korean Operations (Tiger spirit, Rolling thunder and Iron fortress).

That's not normal, is it?

Scenery is ODS, though

Marzi

Post by Marzi » 2007-04-06 10:01:21

Hello everyone :)

Doc0301 - yes - it is normal, as mensioned in readme file.

I'v got some other problems:
first - Iraq map in UI - it appears second time I've instaled theater on AF

Maybe I unintentionaly choose some other kind of view ?

And second problem - communication with ATC. I'v got a proper TACAN channel for an airbase and I have got no response on my requests to taxi or take off. Any ideas why ?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-06 13:33:29

That is the AWACS map, I believe back in the good old days you can turn it on/off from the F4Patch / config file.

I don't know about ATC responses.

PMC since 1984

Trynian

Post by Trynian » 2007-04-07 00:18:26

Marzi wrote:And second problem - communication with ATC. I'v got a proper TACAN channel for an airbase and I have got no response on my requests to taxi or take off. Any ideas why ?
I am experiencing this also.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-04-07 01:46:06

Trynian wrote:
Marzi wrote:And second problem - communication with ATC. I'v got a proper TACAN channel for an airbase and I have got no response on my requests to taxi or take off. Any ideas why ?
ATC voices are controlled in AF (as well as other versions of falcon) by the stations.dat file in the \campaign folder. Check and see if you have the ODS one or the default Korean one. You can tell if its the Korean one by comparing it to the stations.dat file found in the Korean campaign folder. Also (obviously), the ODS stations.dat file is much, much larger (in length as well as in bytes) due to the increased number of airbases. Finally, there are just some airbases and airstrips that do not have assigned ATC/TACAN/ILS channels/freq because there is a limit to the total number of these that can be assigned.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-07 03:05:35

Ah crap, now I remember the ODS stations.dat is not included in the installer, my bad. Will be fixed on next version :)

First post updated. Good point Sherlock.

PMC since 1984

Trynian

Post by Trynian » 2007-04-07 03:56:27

Sherlock wrote:
Trynian wrote:
ATC voices are controlled in AF (as well as other versions of falcon) by the stations.dat file in the \campaign folder. Check and see if you have the ODS one or the default Korean one. You can tell if its the Korean one by comparing it to the stations.dat file found in the Korean campaign folder. Also (obviously), the ODS stations.dat file is much, much larger (in length as well as in bytes) due to the increased number of airbases. Finally, there are just some airbases and airstrips that do not have assigned ATC/TACAN/ILS channels/freq because there is a limit to the total number of these that can be assigned.
Yep that was it. it matched the korea stations.dat. I happened to have the odsaf folder backed up before I removed it and installed the new version. So I inserted that stations.dat and it seems to be working now.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-04-07 15:24:30

ODS V0.6 is catching all kinds of crap over at Frugals because people think it isn't as good as the ODSAF 1.0 that was released earlier. Just thought I would let you know. Here's the thread: http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/show ... 487&page=5
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-07 15:46:24

As you propably have already wondered or even figured as much, that I have not spoken in Frugals about v0.6 yet. I had high hopes for this version that its rock solid, but I was brought down from my "high horse" quite quickly as the "only AF installed installer bug" came along for example. Of course the stupid users who post about UI missing while it clearly reads in the release post is nothing new to releasing addons for a game.

It is plain wrong to have continued discussion on the ODSAF topic as frankly v0.6 has nothing to do with the topic, I want to open brand new topic (and post news on PMC and other sites) but not likely for v0.6 yet as we have some issues, like the installer bug for AF only users. First we need to go through the intial "critical" bugs and then we can post more public information. I know I didnt ask nobody to witheld information from other sites and thats fine that someone posted there, but I have just kept away from there just because this is hush hush dev testing now and I will not pimp v0.6 to the public yet.

You guys should not do anything regarding this post on frugals, let the time pass and so on see what happens, all the bitching there is good public "beta-beta" testing for us. When next version comes, then we will close the ODSAF topic as its obsolete and just confusing people, and we only concentrate on the brand new topic making it absolutely clear what version we just released and so on.

Anyways.

I want to fix the installer bug right away but taking into consideration for the whopping 285mb download size, I dont want to make another same sized installer right away. Of course if we could put in brand new UI and all the rest of the fixes into the installer it would be ok, but I dont see that happening as the UI needs to be made for three fucken different F4 versions. I think Sherlock has the AF covered pretty good now but who does RV and OF, heh no idea.

PMC since 1984

Marzi

Post by Marzi » 2007-04-07 18:31:33

Snake Man - easy :) Do your job and do not care about complaining of some users ho have nothing else to do and even don't read carefuly what you have written in the release message. I hope you don't give up and soon we will see next release of ODS.
Keep on the good job :)

Best regards from Poland.

Marzi

Trynian

Post by Trynian » 2007-04-08 07:37:28

Snake Man wrote:As you propably have already wondered or even figured as much, that I have not spoken in Frugals about v0.6 yet. I had high hopes for this version that its rock solid, but I was brought down from my "high horse" quite quickly as the "only AF installed installer bug" came along for example. Of course the stupid users who post about UI missing while it clearly reads in the release post is nothing new to releasing addons for a game.

It is plain wrong to have continued discussion on the ODSAF topic as frankly v0.6 has nothing to do with the topic, I want to open brand new topic (and post news on PMC and other sites) but not likely for v0.6 yet as we have some issues, like the installer bug for AF only users. First we need to go through the intial "critical" bugs and then we can post more public information. I know I didnt ask nobody to witheld information from other sites and thats fine that someone posted there, but I have just kept away from there just because this is hush hush dev testing now and I will not pimp v0.6 to the public yet.

You guys should not do anything regarding this post on frugals, let the time pass and so on see what happens, all the bitching there is good public "beta-beta" testing for us. When next version comes, then we will close the ODSAF topic as its obsolete and just confusing people, and we only concentrate on the brand new topic making it absolutely clear what version we just released and so on.

Anyways.

I want to fix the installer bug right away but taking into consideration for the whopping 285mb download size, I dont want to make another same sized installer right away. Of course if we could put in brand new UI and all the rest of the fixes into the installer it would be ok, but I dont see that happening as the UI needs to be made for three fucken different F4 versions. I think Sherlock has the AF covered pretty good now but who does RV and OF, heh no idea.
I wouldn't worry about it to much. other then a couple minor bugs I have yet to see anything making it unplayable. They will get over it and PMC will get the bugs worked out with our help.

SUBS17
Recruit

Post by SUBS17 » 2007-04-08 22:31:15

Just found a bug Bahregan airbase Iran is half in the ocean.

SUBS17
Recruit

Post by SUBS17 » 2007-04-09 05:04:15

Campaign bug for F4AF, Airbase freq is not working for Desert Storm and you can't change to the Air Bases freq off the map as AF is limited to HAVQuick channels only.

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2007-04-16 19:42:58

Bahrain international; 3D objects placed on adjacent tile to airbase tile.

SUBS17
Recruit

Post by SUBS17 » 2007-04-27 22:37:41

Open Falcon bug, F-16s not selectable for TE.

Blackbird
1st Lt

Post by Blackbird » 2007-05-12 19:34:10

I am unable fly the campaign in RV. Everything works fine until When it run to the screen before start the theater, it stay there forever. It doesn't give me the crashlog. I have to shut down the computer's power. Can someone please confirm that this theater works with RV. Thanks
BB

Sherlock
Lt. General

Redundant tiles in Texture.Zip

Post by Sherlock » 2007-05-16 19:47:36

The following tiles are all the same graphic in the texture.zip file:

HWROD211
HWROD212
HWROD213
HWROD221
HWROD222
HWROD231
HWROD232
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

sincov

Beirut airport

Post by sincov » 2007-07-16 10:14:49

When fly over this scenary note the lack of Beirut airport at South of the capital of Lebanon one of most important of Lebanon i think.

Sincovich Roberto
Trieste (italy)

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-08-09 19:36:41

Was the Allied Force (AF) ODS 0.6 Beta installation bug resolved? It looks like from this threads discussion that T_Rex came up with a fix based on info provided by Khronik....? Just wondering because I just was having a discussion with a guy at Frugals that swears he installed PMC ODS 0.6 at the "very beginning" and he only had AF installed and had never installed Falcon 4.0 ever...

Need update please...
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Return to “Operation Desert Storm”