Beta AF Campaign Editor

F4Browse, CATE, Tacedit, Terrainview & TheaterMaker etc utility related

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Beta AF Campaign Editor

Post by Sherlock » 2011-06-24 05:04:30

A new beta campaign editor for Allied Force .cam files was presented at SimHQ.com the other day by it's creator "Piorun" from Poland. Details are in this thread at SimHQ begining on page 2: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... 412/2.html

Here is a repeat of the download link he provided: https://rapidshare.com/files/1163205381 ... Editor.rar

He made this editor specifically for moving squadrons (fixed wing as well as helos) forward to the FLOT during a campaign (relocation) because they will not relocate on their own from the program code. It does not address ground or naval units at all in its current form. Finally, it will only work on Default AF .cam files (i.e., the Korea and Balkans .cams). It will CTD on SP3 or SP4 .cams.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Re: Beta AF Campaign Editor

Post by Snake Man » 2011-06-24 05:50:58

Thanks for letting us know. Please keep an eye for this utility/guy and give heads up for us for any updates... because you are the head AF guy around here :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-06-27 21:42:05

cool utility.

I observed a discussion located at sim HQ forum and wanted to express my opinions. But I am also waiting for registration there now.
So I will wait for Piorun's registration here (PMC).
But until that, just few hints for Piorun:
The file you would be interested in is the "thr" file. It stores stylized picture of the road and drainage network. It is used mainly for 2D war, but it is important for whole campaign/theater as well. You can get a good picture of it - just load it in tacedit and make export to BMP.
The kneemap file is unimportant for the game engine, you can put the picture of your wife and children there....
(I am still wondering LP made the kneemap so rough BTW)

The most important terrain level is "L2" in my opinion. This resolution is the "reference grid" for objectives (grouped objects), but also the "mea" file (radar profiles...) and others.
In the 3D world the L2 file is also the main file IMHO. The engine can put particular 3D objects on it without problems. The L1 and L0 are used just for lightening - old gouraud shading based on vertex resolution I guess. You can see floating/sinked objects if "enhanced" L1 and L0 are used.
Also the LOD distance for L1+ L0 is really small, it makes no sense to put additional details there - at least in AF (no command line parameters or settings for more detailed terrain and moved LOD distances). If you are good in hacking, you would be perhaps able to move the L2 distance about 40-50nm far away. It would be great improvemant (perhaps even without serious FPS drop, but I doubt)
-The biggest problem is very poor L3 + L4 resolution IMHO.
-The L0 and L1 lods are active just during the low flights and for very short time => causing flickering if additional details implemented

I am very, very excited now. We really need you here - the possibility to have a chance to touch the AF campaign additions is our dream.

Luk
P.S. the default terrains and objects placement are fine in AF - it is almost bug free...but I have found few unimportant errors when observed the Balkan and Korea for this purpose:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=22318
(there was a bridge moved 1 tile to west for example - the campaign creator perhaps mistook the reference/origin point...but you can fix it using monsters teeraineditor - the problem is, we have no acess to other campaign settings in mentioned program)

The base of SP4 cam file is good even for AF I guess (objectives + links, units placed). Perhaps if we would be able to convert the SP4 cam to editable text, make the AF additions according to analized default AF cams and convert back to the cam file - it would be enough...

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2011-06-27 23:11:23

Luk wrote: I am very, very excited now. We really need you here - the possibility to have a chance to touch the AF campaign additions is our dream.
Luk
I agree. This is exciting to finally begin to visualize a "TacEdit" type tool for Allied Force. The future looks bright!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

WlodekG
Recruit
Editing Interests: Missions

Post by WlodekG » 2011-06-28 00:15:54

Hi all welcome. Thank you for your help in activating my account.

First of all I would like to apologize in advance for the poor knowledge of English. I hope that it will not be too much difficulty when reading my posts.

Turning to the merits.
The file is unimportant kneemap for the game engine, you can put the picture of your wife and children there ....
Yes I know, but I wanted to up the editor background was similar to the TE of the game FalconAF. I thought maybe the creator of new land use that file when lying tiles. And by the way can anyone know which file is the background TE (kneemap.gif is not because of its modifications have not noticed changes in the background in the game itself).

Perhaps the idea of writing Campaign Editor/Builder does not make sense? I came up with suggestions to expand the utility of my ability to add new units to the campaign. I came to the conclusion that it would be worthwhile to introduce a graphical interface with a map in the background like this: (how can insert image ???)

Concept of this idea: Allow players to create new campaigns (based on available new sites on the Internet) so that without any knowledge of the construction of AF directories or files you need. To be able to create new campaigns (3 scanariusze) using just one program.

But in any case I had no intention to create a Terrain Editor. I think the creation of new sites is not only difficult and very time-consuming but also requires a certain talent (I do not have). I think the average player probably would not do that. Place the finished objects on the map, or adding a few battalions of tanks and artillery is much easier (I think).

I mean Falcon 4.0 AF. As for other versions of Falcon I could take into account the differences in file formats, of course, with your help.

Perhaps in the future could be to extend this tool to edition database, ie all the files in C:\FALCON_40\ terrdata\ objects ? This would require a dozen dialog boxes - of course, disputes the amount of work but it seems to be done.

What do you think about this idea ?

Piorun
aka WlodekG

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2011-06-28 01:44:59

I like the idea because it gives us a capability we do not currently possess for the AF specific .cam/.tac file formats. Up until now, we have had to utilize the older SuperPAK 3/4 .cam/.tac files which are problematic/unreliable when running under the AF .exe program. I am a avid AF flyer and modder. I have only been working modding AF for several years now. I am willing to help you anyway I can. I know to a certain extent how F4Browse, TacEdit and the terrain development process works although Luk is probably better at terrain development than I am since he has been doing a lot more of it lately. Anyway, I give you two thumbs up on this idea!

P.S. to show a picture here you have to host it on a web hosting service first such as Photobucket.com. Make sure your hosted image is 100KB or smaller. Note if it is larger I think Snake Man will change your displayed image to just a link for members to click on.

Next you copy the hosted images link. Then you create your post here at PMC. In your PMC post place your cursor where you want your image to be displayed. Then you click on the button above the editing window that says "Img". It will place two portions of text into your post that look similar to this: [ img][/img ]

Then you place your copied link for your image between the two portions of text created in the previous step so it looks like this: [ img]http://3#8&#&@placeyourlinkhere.com [/img ]

Please note that I added spaces between the opening bracket ([) and the closing bracket (]) in the image posting example above so they would should up in this post. You do NOT want to have those spaces in your post or the image posting will not work properly.

This is what one looks like when you have done it properly (right click and choose Properties to see the link it is coming from):

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4086/f ... ningvi.jpg

You can also find a post that has a image in it, choose the option to "Quote" that image in a reply and it will show you the HTML way of displaying the image in that post you are quoting.
Last edited by Snake Man on 2011-06-28 06:51:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please dont hotlink large (file size) images.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2011-06-28 06:57:15

Sherlock wrote:Make sure your hosted image is 100KB or smaller. Note if it is larger I think Snake Man will change your displayed image to just a link for members to click on.
Yes just as I did with your image which was 159kb. Its not my job to make sure the images are small size, if you guys are lazy and just think "I don't care, Snake Man will change it..." then I'll start issuing some "account suspended" penalties for such lazy image posters.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-06-28 09:14:24

Piorun wrote: Yes I know, but I wanted to up the editor background was similar to the TE of the game FalconAF...
You can put anything as the campaign/TE map image. The campmap.rsc and campmap.idx pair is located in your ../art/resource directory
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22395
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22349
....I thought maybe the creator of new land use that file when lying tiles...
No. You can find rather satelite imaginery in default theater TE/campmap.
Polak wrote at simHQ: Most of the terrain done are PMC terrains made by Snakeman. As a basis , he uses colored bitmaps where each color represents different type of terrain. It is little more complex than that and I am not going perhaps to bore here with the details, but I would say only that this step of creating terrain is where this monotony and repetition is being born. Having said this, despite so many years, no one came with any better solution so I guess this is how it is beeing done.
All the terrains at PMC made by Snakeman uses script to place different terrain types according to high above the sea. It is the easiest and fastest way, howto tile. The bitmap masks were used just for terrain variations (means the single irrigation tile placed by high above the sea uses different irrigation set of tiles for random variation for example) or high fixes etc. The mentioned process could produce very good result in the smaller terrain, or if there would be different high rules for different terrain parts used...

The only terrain here made by bitmap painting (not according to high) is Eu update WIP, made by me. The terrain types are placed/painted by colored regions, so you can find small forrests in lowlands, lakes anywhere, fields in mountain walleys, snowcaps in lower mountains, filled cities.. etc. But it is hard and time consuming work to make detailed tile mask for the theater.

But as I said, no matter how is the terrain created - you can get detailed picture of the terrain types, if you extract it from terrain "thr" file.
You can use even better campaign/TE maps then LP released for default theaters....(and I think some people released such a maps for public use)
Piorun:Perhaps the idea of writing Campaign Editor/Builder does not make sense? I came up with suggestions to expand the utility of my ability to add new units to the campaign. I came to the conclusion that it would be worthwhile to introduce a graphical interface with a map in the background
The idea is great, I am really for it. I like user friendly utilities very much.
You can start by adding possibility to fully manage NAVAL waypoints in your program. ( BTW It is not acessible in tacedit or perhaps we are just unable to use it properly). Just a suggestion - it would be a pity to use your new program just for default theater tweaks (or rather copy of them! :) ).
So I am calling for the utility/program module/step-by-step-process, to convert work-in-progress SP4 theater "cam"s to full-featured AF cam as well.

Thanks
Luk

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-06-28 11:56:46

Luk:You can use even better campaign/TE maps then LP released for default theaters....(and I think some people released such a maps for public use)
You can find some nice maps here:
http://www.combatsimchecklist.net/F4download.htm
These are in kneemap format, but can be converted into the idx/rcs pair. They are created rather for OF, but the terrain is very similar if not identical I guess...

Just conclusion.
I would suggest to start your program upgrade this way:
- add support for naval waypoints creation+editing (also formations)
- add (and move) squadrons, ground units (waypoints, formations,orders..) and NAVALs
- acess to the campaign settings, espacially AF extensions

- use the obtained knowledges and experience for conversion software module or standalone program (or even the tutorial or document), able to convert/tweak SP4 cam to native AF cam file.

:D
Luk

WlodekG
Recruit

Post by WlodekG » 2011-06-28 13:35:13

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1295/rys2r.jpg

To avoid misunderstandings I suggest something may first be determined.

Suppose that there are three types of editing programs Falcon4 (SP #, AF, etc.):

1. Database Editor (Browser)
2. Terrain editor
3. Campaign editor

Domain Database Editor to modify (usually to add) records in the catalog Falcon_40\terrdata\objects or Falcon_40\terrdata\objects2005.

Terrain Editor is domain creation/modification of files in a directory that is Falcon_40\terrdata what on earth is the work of nature, ie the sea, fields, forests, rivers and roads (though this may not entirely the work of of Mother Nature.) In simple terms Terrain Editor does not create/modify files campaign\Save#.cam.

Campaign Editor is domain creation / modification of files in a directory Falcon_40/Campaign + (perhaps) art\main and art\resource. The most important file created by Campaign Editor is a file Save#.cam. Campaign editor never modifies the files from Falcon_40\terrdata (do not know what's true what to do when need to align a piece of land for a large airport?)

I'm interested in this moment just writing Campaign Editor.

Do you have objections to might of such a division?

Brief description of the Campaign Editor:
  • 1. On the basis of files L0 - L5 (and perhaps only L2) may be a new site creates a thr. and an empty file SaveX.cam
    2. Based on the L2 and texture.zip creates a bitmap 2048 x 2048 which will be the background for the editor. This BMP can be edited by overwriting the names of cities, etc. (nice big font).
    3. Using the Editor to put the most important objects (airports, power plants, bridges, etc.). Constructed SaveX.cam file may be a pattern for the files Save0.cam, Save1.cam and Save2.cam.
    4. Using the Editor, we are building the campaign by adding the set of military units (Air Force, Navy and Army). Here it is essential to allow edits waypoints for Navy units because later in the game itself can not be edited. Creating Package/Flights in SaveX.cam files is very difficult (not fully identified the functions of some fields in the AF).
    5. Installation of a new campaign in the game + optional installation terrain files.
Cardinal goal - to enable the implementation of points 1 to 5 in one program without having to use additional tools (even Notepad, Paint, etc.). The program must create a full set of files needed for the campaign. Provide a simple intuitive interface very similar to the panel Tactical Engagement from the game (contextual menu, identical navigation, similar or even identical names, etc.).

What do you think?
use the obtained knowledges and experience for conversion software module or standalone program (or even the tutorial or document), able to convert/tweak SP4 cam to native AF cam file.
I do not have the basic Falcon4 so I have trouble testing my software on SP4. What do you suggest?

These kneemap look very professional, but surely there is no guarantee as to their exact synchronization with the terrain. So your suggestions to start with probably thr is the best.

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-06-28 14:00:09

I'm interested in this moment just writing Campaign Editor.
It is ok. This is the most important for us now.
Do you have objections to might of such a division?
No.
1. On the basis of files L0 - L5 (and perhaps only L2) may be a new site creates a thr. and an empty file SaveX.cam
2. Based on the L2 and texture.zip creates a bitmap 2048 x 2048 which will be the background for the editor. This BMP can be edited by overwriting the names of cities, etc. (nice big font).
3. Using the Editor to put the most important objects (airports, power plants, bridges, etc.). Constructed SaveX.cam file may be a pattern for the files Save0.cam, Save1.cam and Save2.cam.
4. Using the Editor, we are building the campaign by adding the set of military units (Air Force, Navy and Army). Here it is essential to allow edits waypoints for Navy units because later in the game itself can not be edited. Creating Package/Flights in SaveX.cam files is very difficult (not fully identified the functions of some fields in the AF).
5. Installation of a new campaign in the game + optional installation terrain files.

Cardinal goal - to enable the implementation of points 1 to 5 in one program without having to use additional tools (even Notepad, Paint, etc.). The program must create a full set of files needed for the campaign. Provide a simple intuitive interface very similar to the panel Tactical Engagement from the game (contextual menu, identical navigation, similar or even identical names, etc.).

What do you think?
It is great.
I do not have the basic Falcon4 so I have trouble testing my firmware to SP4. What do you suggest?
It is ok, leave it.
If your program will have the ability to import "csv" files previously exported by Tacedit, it's all ok.
We can export the objects + linking and units from old "cam"s. Teams and similar essential setting we can set in your new program.
Just make support for 128 and 256 theaters too. Dont worry they will work. We just need the module for PAK map creation and editing as well :mrgreen:
So your suggestions to start with probably thr is the best.
I agree.

Luk

WlodekG
Recruit

Post by WlodekG » 2011-06-28 14:08:57

Just conclusion.
I would suggest to start your program upgrade this way:
- add support for naval waypoints creation+editing (also formations)
- add (and move) squadrons, ground units (waypoints, formations,orders..) and NAVALs
- acess to the campaign settings, espacially AF extensions
I think it is worth little to change the order.

1. Add (and move / adjust) terrain objects (the easiest).
2. Add (and move) ground units (formations, orders .. but no waypoints)
3. Add NAVALS
4. Add support for naval waypoints creation + editing (also formations)
5. Access to the campaign settings, espacially AF extensions
6. Add Package / Flights (Difficult)

I do not know how to create an army structure (hierarchy of division / brigade / battalion) and how to give meaningful names and numbers of battalions.

I'm sorry but unless there is interleaving of our posts.

Piorun
aka WlodekG

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-06-28 14:36:34

I think it is worth little to change the order.
Of course, do it as you wish.

I placed the NAVAL waypoints at first place just for one reason:

Even right now, we have limited ability to place squadrons, units and NAVALs inside the copy of default AF campaigns.
We can order the units as well. But it is not possible to set NAVAL waypoints. This all in the TE interface - inside the AF:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=22394
But there is a huge drawback of such a solution - everything must be done in one step!
But it is doable for default AF campaigns.

We will have a LAN party in September I guess. I wanted to prepare tweaked Balkan campaign (Eu will not be finished yet),
using the light version of my tweaked database. I wanted to test my ideas inside fine tuned environment. But I missed editable NAVAL waypoints (I just found a backup solution -1 waypoint to folow, for SP4 cams) - so I hoped, you will be perhaps able to release the first upgrade in advance. But ok, choose the order you wish.
I do not know how to create an army structure (hierarchy of division / brigade / battalion) and how to give meaningful names and numbers of battalions.
Download the bunch of new SnakeMan's TCL scripts. Try to analyze what they do. Perhaps you will be able to find usefull info there.
The discussion about it is located here (it is perhaps scattered in another posts as well - just use the search engine..):
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=20773&p=185611&hilit=TCL#p185611

Luk
Last edited by Luk on 2011-06-28 16:35:34, edited 1 time in total.

WlodekG
Recruit

Post by WlodekG » 2011-06-28 15:52:29

@ Luke - I need to explain why so little afraid waypoints. Structure waypoints for the AF differs little from the format described here:
http://www.pmctactical.org/wiki/doku.ph ... _structure

Flags field expanded to 32 bits and added an extra field time at the end of the old structure. However, not all fields in this structure are always present (see control field 'haves'), and a description for Falcon4 is not valid for AF It is true that I can load and save these records, but the meaning of numbers for fields Action RouteAction, Formation and Flags I'm not at all sure. I suspect that the value does not necessarily mean for Falcon4 exactly the same for AF.
Therefore, if modification of the existing position of the WP should not be a problem, it's creating new / own WP will probably require a number of quite time-consuming trials.
Any such attempt requires campaigns to read the file again and check in game environment as it has added a new WP. Perhaps for accelerate tests I was working on a file Test.tac instead of Save0.cam because start of Tactical Engagement panel is faster than the campaign.

You may have caught sight of the Carrier Group TF that is a huge amount of WP and the ship apparently revolves in a circle in a small area. Modification of such a "ball of thread" will be quite difficult for the user.

Even worse I'll probably be busy throughout July at 100% at work (very urgent order) which, unfortunately, very delayed work on the Campaign Editor.
But I will do everything I can to work proceeded forward.

Piorun
aka WlodekG

Ed_1
Recruit

Post by Ed_1 » 2011-06-28 16:29:31

Navy waypoint code is extremely limited as mentioned above it just does a basic back an forth point to point . There tasks/roles are also limited by Navy code .

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-06-28 16:31:11

You may have caught sight of the Carrier Group TF that is a huge amount of WP and the ship apparently revolves in a circle in a small area. Modification of such a "ball of thread" will be quite difficult for the user.
Although Ed_1 stated in another post, that the carrier groups are better in folowing the waypoints than other ships (for example cruisers) - I have oposite experience. If there is a carrier inside the group, the ships are stacked in one place. If you look at default campaigns, you can see all ships are moving (following wpts) except the carrier groups. I guess its becouse of carrier squadron housing ability. I have the same experience when tested TE-makers 1 wpt trick with SP4 cam in AF.
Even worse I'll probably be busy throughout July at 100% at work (very urgent order) which, unfortunately, very delayed work on the Campaign Editor.
Come on Wlodek, no stress. It's a hobby. If we will get something this year it's great!
I must also finish some plans for tomorrow and very little is done. It looks I will not go to bed. :P
Kurwa pracy! :lol:

Luk

WlodekG
Recruit

Post by WlodekG » 2011-06-28 16:44:37

Luk wrote: Kurwa do pracy!
Jawohl herr generale ! :lol:

Ed_1
Recruit

Post by Ed_1 » 2011-06-28 17:28:46

Luk wrote:
Although Ed_1 stated in another post, that the carrier groups are better in folowing the waypoints than other ships (for example cruisers) - I have oposite experience. If there is a carrier inside the group, the ships are stacked in one place. If you look at default campaigns, you can see all ships are moving (following wpts) except the carrier groups. I guess its becouse of carrier squadron housing ability. I have the same experience when tested TE-makers 1 wpt trick with SP4 cam in AF.
Come on Wlodek, no stress. It's a hobby. If we will get something this year it's great!
I must also finish some plans for tomorrow and very little is done. It looks I will not go to bed. :P
Kurwa pracy! :lol:

Luk
I am not sure what i said before on Navy side but the issue with waypoints like flights etc is there role and weapons basically defines the IP and waypoints .
The problem with navy side is the roles for each navy vehicle type was never finished .
The Carrier has best role support of all navy (it will fire and attach without hacks and there was some basic waypoint work done on supply ships too but I forget what is different than SP4 to be honest .

WlodekG
Recruit

Post by WlodekG » 2011-07-30 20:30:13

Hi. I present an initial version (pre-alpha), a new editor with a graphical interface. Many things I have yet to work out but the principle of action probably should already be visible.
Comments and suggestions welcome.

Link : https://rapidshare.com/files/148274794/ ... eAlpha.zip

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-07-31 17:59:42

Thank you very much Wlodek. I am looking forward to test it.

Luk

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2011-07-31 23:09:04

WlodekG,
It's great you are working on this. I am downloading now. I will check it out in the week or so to come and post my comments soon. Thank you for your efforts on this!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2011-08-03 17:39:59

WlodekG,
Do you want us to consolidate our comments over at SimHQ or here? The only one I have so far is really more of a question. Have you implemented reading and displaying reinforcement times on units yet? All the units I checked had it set to "0000". However, I may not have checked a unit that actually had it set to some other value.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

WlodekG
Recruit

Post by WlodekG » 2011-08-03 18:09:12

Hi.

Most of the data in the fields of dialogs windows are implemented only option to display the data (temporarily - sorry).

Field "Reinforcement" - I think that this is not the time and probably the quantity. I don't know yet how to correctly interpret the content of this field.

Currently I am working on support for Team dialog window, the TreeView on the left to display a list of everything that is on the map, selection of waypoints etc. When this finish proceed to allow the addition of new military units.

Sorry for a lot of bugs in this version but this is how I wrote version of pre-pre-pre-alpha (in principle only to allow discussion of the program) :oops: .

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-08-03 18:26:47

...Sorry for a lot of bugs in this version but this is how I wrote version of pre-pre-pre-alpha (in principle only to allow discussion of the program)
No problem. I like the overall layout. Just implement "save" function properly as soon as possible please. :wink:

Luk

WlodekG
Recruit

Post by WlodekG » 2011-08-03 19:11:01

Luk I'm sorry but the "save" you'll have to wait a little bit.

But I have a question for everyone - at home noticed any problems with the sound - the guy from the Polish forum noticed that the music is played too fast. And as it sounds on your computer?
Option to disable the music, of course, now I do.

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-08-03 19:31:52

Sound is fine for me.
I have BenQ Joybook, core2duo 1.5GHz, 2GB ram... integrated sound card.

Luk

WlodekG
Recruit

Post by WlodekG » 2011-08-03 19:44:55

I have one small question. Where do you think is the best place to do upload the next version (I hope that it will be close to the beta version).
People on the forum will condemn a little on RapidShare so perhaps know a better place (of course free of charge).

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-08-03 19:50:35

"http://www.mediafire.com" works for me fine (ZIP files).

Luk

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2011-08-03 23:21:39

Luk wrote:"http://www.mediafire.com" works for me fine (ZIP files).

Luk
Mediafire.com works for me too. Music also played just fine on my notebook system: Core2-duo Dell D630, 2.1GHz, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit, integrated sound card.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2011-08-04 01:37:08

If the file size is something like 1-3mb or so (ie "small util") you can send the RAR or 7zip to me in email attache, then I'll add it to our server for nice and direct http download link.

PMC since 1984

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-08-04 09:40:13

WlodekG, I know it is work-in-progress wersion and it looks really cool even in this stage. Just want to inform you, there is a problem when 128 theater loaded (normal default theater is 64 segment). The whole campmap file is wisible, but the objectives are moved/displayed just in upper portion of the map.
Please allow the user to zoom out much more in the next version as well.

Thanks
Luk

WlodekG
Recruit

Post by WlodekG » 2011-08-04 10:31:17

Thanks Snake Man, would like to use. I think that ZIP should not be larger than 2 MB.

Luk - sorry but I forget to write about it. I have to enter a scaling factor when positioning objects on the background bitmap. The problem is, however, that Windows has the function StretchBlt which has a limited zoom range especially for large bitmaps. Just for maps larger than 64x64 segments can not get such a large FOV as the 64x64. With maps, 256x256 will be even worse. I do not know yet how to solve this problem.

One possibility suggested to me that friend from the Polish forum would be to use a small floating window (similar in operation to Windows magnifying glass) on which the background would be generated based on the tiles with o0, o1, o2 etc. This facilitates the precise positioning of terrain objects and remove the need for a wide range of zoom on the main map. What do you think?

By the way, I have a question - whether it is possible to use in FalconAF 128x64 maps (not square)?

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-08-04 12:05:10

Luk - sorry but I forget to write about it. I have to enter a scaling factor when positioning objects on the background bitmap.
Ok, the objects/ives icons will match the background image one day - perhaps according to a value, stored in the map file (128,64 etc). Perhaps there is another solution, howto analyze theater size (count L2 size or something). So I did not forget to set up a theater size somewhere in the program settings.
One possibility suggested to me that friend from the Polish forum would be to use a small floating window (similar in operation to Windows magnifying glass) on which the background would be generated based on the tiles with o0, o1, o2 etc. This facilitates the precise positioning of terrain objects and remove the need for a wide range of zoom on the main map. What do you think?
I think the idea is good - especially if you want to make some "areas of interrest" really nice populated. For example to place forrest and trees according to the textures in certain places etc. It is good if you can see more detailed view of the tile appearance, than just a solid colour.
That feature would be nice.
But for general objectives placement or CAM modding it is better to integrate some kind of "snap" funkcionality, I guess. And you already did this "snap" function, because dragged objects are jumping acording to the L2 resolution.
In the current stage of your program, the last two zoom levels produce black window(128 seg.). You can trade these 2 levels for zoom out I think.
On the other hand there is no blackscreen for 64 theater. And the last 2 zoom levels are comfortable for 64 map. Icons are quite large and although I am able to drag the icons preciselly enough withouth last 2 zoom levels, these levels are comfortable.
BTW is it an icon drawed in the center of the tile? In tacedit there is red dot (obj origin). It is drawed in the middle of the left tile edge if I can remember correctly. It is better to have icons in the center.
By the way, I have a question - whether it is possible to use in FalconAF 128x64 maps (not square)?
I think it is not possible. Or rather i am quite sure it is not possible.

Luk

WlodekG
Recruit

Post by WlodekG » 2011-08-04 13:25:45

Luk - I have no problem recognizing the size of the theater, I just have not implemented the appropriate scaling factor for theater other than 64 segments (normal laziness).
And you already did this "snap" function, dragged Because objects are jumping to the L2 acording resolution.
Luk you sorry but this "snap" is not my merit (I'm not so genius). This effect is unfortunately grid resolution of positioning objects in the CAM file. Even if I do not know how to tried a more precise positioning can not be done. It seems that the boys from Microprose allow to position objects on the map to within one tile only.
In the current stage of your program, the last two zoom levels produce black window(128 seg.).
Exactly this is the effect of reducing the function with Windows. Probably WinXP (7?) when taking zoom creates a bitmap in the working memory system. If the original bitmap is large, then zoom bitmap is already great, and probably does not fall within acceptable ranges for Widnows. Of course I could implement your own zoom function but it's very complicated to program and drop the screen refresh rate (it is not DirectX). So I think that the idea of limiting zoom and use the "pseudo magnifying glass window", good he might.
BTW is it an icon drawed in the center of the tile? In tacedit there is red dot (obj origin). It is drawed in the middle of the left tile edge if I can remember correctly. It is better to have icons in the center.
Yes - origin should be in the center of the icon (so I had going).

PS. Perhaps you have a good laugh reading this crooked pseudo-English text - it is the result of Google Translator.

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-08-04 14:01:10

I see.

Just a note. The campmap is twice a resolution of the L2 map(means 4x larger). If you would make an option to load L2 resolution bitmap (for example BMP or PNG file) as a background, it could reduce the problem (twice resolution campmap file does not provide any aditional info). This smaller bitmap would be a picture of THR file or even the reduced campmap file. It would even help to extend the view range for huge theaters (I can imagine I would load L3 resolution bitmap for 256 theater rather than nothing :) ) So option to load an arbitrary resolution bitmap would be nice (but if it is a problem, just leave it!).

I see the solution with the separated zoomed viewport is more flexible and universal for all theaters.

Luk

P.S. Your english is fine for me. I can understand Polish a bit and I think we are twisting English similar way. For example spelled "german english" is for me much easier to understand than native English. Although I am not using the translator, my english is probably worse hehe.

WlodekG
Recruit

Post by WlodekG » 2011-08-04 14:18:26

The campmap is twice a resolution of the L2 map(means 4x larger). If you would make an option to load L2 resolution bitmap (for example BMP or PNG file) as a background, it could reduce the problem (twice resolution campmap file does not provide any aditional info). This smaller bitmap would be a picture of THR file or even the reduced campmap file.
Unfortunately, as the main background use (like the original TE FalconAF) campmap.rsc file. That must remain because the file may contain additional components known from topographic or military maps.
Bitmap generated from THR unfortunately is not very pretty. Actually I was thinking about a nice additional feature to the generation of such a map based on data contained in files l0, l1, l2 and o0, o1, o2 etc.
Map background should have a pretty printed names of the main areas, colored borders before the conflict, etc.

PS.
I can understand Polish a bit
- The term of great respect for you. Polish is perhaps one of the most difficult languages ?

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-08-04 14:59:41

- The term of great respect for you. Polish is perhaps one of the most difficult languages ?
No reason for respect Wlodek. I was born nearby the Karkonosze mountains. I can remmember the shopping raids to Polish town Jelenia Góra in the early 90ths very well. The Polish is quite similar to Czech in some aspects. It is the easiest language for us (after the Slovak lang. and similar difficulity like some Balkan languages). All Slavic lang. are quite difficult I think. We have 7 grammar cases here for example :mrgreen: . On the other hand we have just three tenses. I am not familiar with 12 English tenses, its something beyond my scope ( if something happened, it just happened and its over wtf hehe)

L

WlodekG
Recruit

Post by WlodekG » 2011-08-04 15:18:05

And everything is clear. I just thought that you are from Germany. For them, the Polish is no so easy :lol:

Returning to the topic - by chance do you know whether they are currently available on the network some text files with the exact position of cities (and the number of inhabitants)?
That would be imparted to the automatic generation of the objects on the newly created map.

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-08-04 16:35:04

Returning to the topic - by chance do you know whether they are currently available on the network some text files with the exact position of cities (and the number of inhabitants)?
That would be imparted to the automatic generation of the objects on the newly created map.
The GIS data site was moved (see the topic):
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22428
direct url:
http://data.geocomm.com/catalog/index.html
search for " Populated Places (point)". It is usefull at least for position. I am not sure about other atributes.
Some GIS data formats have additional atributes as population quantity or strength of the river etc.

Luk

BTW returning to offtopic - just looking at one of my favourite books, it's Jerzy Gotowala's "Splatane wiraze". I like the pasage about 21-BIS vs 23MF group dogfight very much. That guy tried to bring TOP-gun to the east...and suceeded I think :)

WlodekG
Recruit

Post by WlodekG » 2011-08-04 19:20:29

Help!
I'm finishing TeamDialog and encountered a problem. Does anyone know what algorithm is to assign indices in the field "Owner" to the names of the State Flag in "resource\\flags.idx" file ?

Code: Select all

OOB_FLAGS_USA =?
OOB_FLAGS_NKOREA  =?
OOB_FLAGS_CHINA  =?
OOB_FLAGS_CIS   =?
OOB_FLAGS_SKOREA  =?  
Urgent !