51km desert terrain and PMC Realwar campaign

ArmA campaigns and missions

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

51km desert terrain and PMC Realwar campaign

Post by Snake Man » 2008-01-28 15:00:34

I already expressed my feelings about mission making in the Cutbacks in mission editing community topic, however I have (in my opinion) very nice terrain + campaign on the works. I've been playing around with this almost daily now and every time I'm having tons of fun.

In a nutshell its a 51km x 51km desert terrain with big cities where in the campaign you never ever get anysort of feeling that "I've done this before and that specific vehicle/soldier always comes from this direction." etc. You cannot learn and beat the AI/mission, you just have to have the skills, oh and good luck goes long way too.

I'm very happy with the progress as there is no script errors or bugs at the moment, just pure gameplay fun. There are quite alot of features which I still want to implement, if someone is familiar with PMC Rattler big CE and PMC Tank Hunter campaigns, I'd like to add best of the features from these campaigns into the Realwar system.

The point of this topic is just to think out loud, I'm not seeking any beta testers or feedback as I know its useless as nobody is interested of missions anymore... but of course everyone is free to post into this topic if they find this interesting... ;)

But here is few screenshots. Oh and please remember that I run ArmA with all details very low/disabled with about 2500m viewdistance, so take that into consideration when looking at the screens!

Very early work in progress, already seen screenshots, links only for reference.
image 1
image 2
image 3
image 4
image 5
image 6

2007 work in progress, few Cobra shots are from Realwar 2 (US side) campaign, but basically they are all "same family" with Realwar system.

And couple of MP screenshots with one of the modern citys.

These remaining ones are from 2008 latest edits to the terrain and campaign.

PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Stlkrash

no interest?

Post by Stlkrash » 2008-01-28 22:29:19

Now we're talkin and i want to help. Let me know here or pm. I also have our suad TS for free use to you guys

68.184.255.4 joinTS <-----notice caps

Its not always up but it can be if its not in one click.

Stlkrash

Taconic
Recruit

Post by Taconic » 2008-05-04 01:43:00

Hi, snakeman.

You asked me to post. I'm more than willing to test. Let me know where to grab everything.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-09-23 20:32:39

Please note that the above screenshots were we feature cities, are quite outdated by now... so here is two fresh screenshots of the latest city under development.

2021-08-29 edit: sorry images were removed from the server.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Re: 51km desert terrain and PMC Realwar campaign

Post by Snake Man » 2008-12-21 18:01:10

Here is two screenshots from PMC Desert Hardcore with 5km viewdistance and terrain details set to high.

PMC since 1984

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2009-07-24 12:48:47

Hey SM-

Good stuff!

I was wondering how you created the cities? Did you use some sort of algorithm, or did you hand-place all those buildings?

This is an impressively huge theater.
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-07-24 14:07:19

I used WrpTool's region tool feature to randomly place buildings 90 degree angles for random rotation, or if the city is aligned sort of 45 degrees, then I used that. Its one thing to place stuff randomly, but if the random buildings are aligned properly with the streets, its totally different look already.

This city: image 1 is half hand and half random placed, which shows on the further away you get from the street + initial houses.

This city: image 2, image 3 is completely hand edited from scratch. First did the roads, then placed buildings. I still need to add some decorations, but as you know me, the eye candy can wait before other gameplay features get added.

Also this terrain has the harbors made with newly ported AGS Port addons and as I've seen terrains in OFP/ArmA so far, it is definitely the largest harbor complex seen ingame. Its quite massive in fact, it still lacks some "natural" feel, but you already get that "awe" feeling when sailing the crrc small zodiac in there. Man do we need some big oil tankers and cargo container ships on the docks now :)

Oh and now the latest version has two lane highway going through the terrain connecting the "most important" features. Its cool to cruise down that big long straight highway ;)

PMC since 1984