Neverending development diary

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Neverending development diary

Post by Snake Man » 2007-10-13 11:48:52

I thought it might be nice to have one generic development area where development discussion in all areas can be posted, like updated on stuff were working or changelogs for upcoming patches etc.

So to start, here is current changelog just one day after hotfix 3, october 13th, 2007.

--- fixes: ?
- added k98k with configuration to the proper unit.
- added Sten SD with configuration to the proper units.
- added ppd40 with configuration to the proper units.
- added mp40 with configuration to the proper units.
- added Mas36 with configuration to the proper unit.
- nam25, one bulding (dulni_bs) sunken halfway to the ground, fixed.

And I was thinking that next version will be a full install again. What will it be, perhaps we place feature lock and call it Alpha release candidate 1 already or something like that, dunno.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-10-13 12:03:24

Feature lock?

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-10-13 12:15:26

I am thinking the mod should be kept unreleased untill most of the fit to ground is fixed. Some of the real problem islands i think should be thinned out somewhat to improve gameplay .if single quality palms ,short fat tall fat combinations i think would result in better fps and gameplay . I have map Vietnam islands myself foe OFP using a combo of res,vte and sebnam objects an achieved good results. The islands of concern are not that big and dont use too many objects for Arma engine .I think its worth a try and would love to do a mission to test load times an fps etc.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-10-13 12:47:48

Btw if you post two times in a row (even in 15mins apart), please use the Edit button in the posts top right hand corner to edit it instead of posting a new one, thanks.

Feature lock or feature freeze actually, means that we dont add anymore units/models, only fix that is in there already. I was thinking that the air vehicles are pretty much there now, I'd only like to add the ACH-47 Spooky and if I can do that, then of course the AC-130 Spectre also. Then regarding air vehicles we would have feature freeze. As for ground units, heh well they are all in now as placeholders. Pretty much all infantry weapons are in with my latest work as of now. Then there is of course the issue of ground vehicles which we totally lack... but I think perhaps if we put out solid Alpha version, it would be without them. Dunno, needs some thoughts.

Regarding floating vegetation, I'm on it but dunno how it turns out, I think the existing terrains are untouched as the objects are not fit to ground now except Ia Drang and Vietnam 12 & 25km terrains. Hopefully it would improve the situation at least a bit. Then we can try to fiddle with the geometry settings one more time but dunno beyond that.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-10-16 06:58:34

Today I decided to try out if I can get the BIsoldier ingame, well there was some difficulties with the config cfgmodels/skeletons but finally I got him ingame. Loaded him up on o2 and removed some of the gear like the fancy radio mic, the thing in his ear and the radio with antenna on the chest. Then I started to load those Synide MLOD models, took the NAM era helmet from the queen gambit grenadier mercenary guy and put it on the bisoldier, it worked out fine.

Then I started to look at the textures, quickly some texview2 conversion, loading the TGA up to photoshop and clone brush from the old VTE USMC textures, well yeah the technique works but the artistic stuff aint. There is no question, I'm no Ebud :lol:

The above pictures are not WIP, they are just "proof" that hey I got the model edited, this does not mean that this model is coming to next release or so. This is just me playing with o2 learning new stuff.

But its wonderful thing to do texturing, you have o2 with buldozer open, the model in view, you edit texture in photoshop, save with texview2 into paa and voila, it will automatically without any keypresses etc update into buldozer. Very cool.

Then I wanted to see if the same configs work for the civilian models, so I got the MLOD civilian with baseball cap, I removed the cap and replaced it with the ricehat looking .. hat, changed the existing VC textures and tried ingame, works ok. Of course there was tons of shadowVolume errors on RPT file as the MLOD is somehow broken. So I just weaseled out of the problem with easiest possible solution... deleting shadowVolumes completely, hehe :roll:

Lesson learned is that now we have official MLOD model from BIS, we have all models in MLOD format from Synide, huge thanks man!, so we are able to shuffle around the gear and helmets and everything with these models to create what we want. Actually with this knowledge, I'm baffled how come there is no new models released yet, heck even I could do it. Strange indeed.

On the other hand, couple of days ago I got stonewalled beyond frustration with the ACH-47 gunship editing, the right and rear/aft doorguns work, except the gunner view is not working. The viewpoint is on the center-top of the helo airframe, it feels to me like there is some model selection or config entry missing now that engine cannot find the gunner or something like that, but I have checked and double checked everything and cant find anything wrong, argh. Also I didnt add more guns yet as even the existing ones arent working yet.

PMC since 1984

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-10-16 11:08:09

good stuff m8 ,all good things take time.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-10-20 15:32:42

Got around to learn about merging textures today which is very important as we want to get rid of the hundreds of small OFP textures. I tested it on C130, CH47 and UH1. The process went pretty ok, however the buldozer view image is with very blurry textures, even as the merged big texture has clear texture in it. Dunno whats up with that. But it is great to see/know that for example CH47's ninety eight (98) small piece of shit OFP textures are now combined in one simple 2048x2048 texture.

There is still the issue of coordinating the texture merging, I mean we have 427 objects which use 554 textures, some small bushes use just 1 texture which is ok, but some buildings use something like 10 or so textures. Many models use different textures, so they are all mixed up in big puzzle, its going to be difficult to create those large textures so that we achieve 1 texture = 1 model system, I mean unless we duplicate some of the stuff on many textures. I just have to focus and visualize all that junk and try to combine it as best as possible, but damn man... 554 textures, uuh :)

Also I finally got around to do my first normal/specular maps, it was dead easy to do with the nvidia normal map filter on photoshop, then using texview2 to create the specular map with that filter thing.

On the other area, we got the brand new A1 Skyraider ingame and flying, still have to do all of the animations like rotor blur, gear, flaps you name it as well getting weapons to work in it.

Heh its kind of funny that last couple of days have been a task of learning for me, I havent done any real VTE work... meaning I havent edited any files, I've just gathered up knowledge, research and stuff like that which eventually is used to edit the files. Well yeah ok I brought new skyraider ingame and edited the three mentioned planes but just on temp dir because I didn't want to break up the existing version.

Damn havent even got any MP time in couple of days.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-10-21 17:22:38

USMC rifleman made out of BIsoldier, plus the helmet from Queens Gambit.

PMC since 1984

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2007-10-21 18:26:02

Hi over there! Nice job pal, I see a few things that could be added/fixed: 30 rounds ammo pouches is not so vietnam style, rubber band on helmet could be a bit smaller, some markings/patches on the vest would be cool and maybe a canteen ? that's all, thanks for doing all this snake!

ps:can I have a tiger stripes battle dress please? ;-)
They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "Fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-10-21 19:24:16

Fantastic m8!! Those dudes look great and i cant wait for the new "SPAD".

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-10-23 11:12:29

Today I finally got around to learn the cfgSkeletons and cfgBones indepths for the animations. Now I fixed F4 Phantom flaps, ailerons, elevators, rudder and gear. Same goes for C130 and MC130. Now these planes start to act like planes and not just some flying static objects :o

Then I also got the our new A1 Skyraider by Badscull ingame and mostly animated, gear and speed brake is to be done and of course instruments.

image 1, image 2, image 3, image 4 and image 5.

It has normal and specular maps, just 1 texture and very nice model, as can be seen on the images.

PMC since 1984

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2007-10-23 11:22:57

:shock: :shock: :shock: KEWL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry but I really need to yell)
They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "Fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-10-25 03:41:06

Not much updates since the last post, but decided to post something. The Skyraider is now fully animated outside. Outside, what outside?? Heh well I mean its animated for; rotor, gear, flaps, ailerons, airbrakes, elevators and rudder. Remaining thing to do is instruments in cockpit, that is another area I have absolutely no clue about, but then again couple of days ago I could not animate flaps either... so its this wonderful learning process for me, oh damn I just remembered I need to update the wiki for this new info heh.

Also I got permissions from zerq63 from LCWF Mod to use his old M48 tank model from OFP. Yeah I know OFP model... but its pretty decent, 6400 polys and all, heck I cant find a better solution at this point. Also when I merge the textures and create normal/specular maps for it, will send it back to zerg63 so he can use it too.

We had some terrain discussion with Anzac Ron at IRC, gathering up some good ideas for nice 25km sized new VTE terrain, new VTE meaning that it would be designed for ArmA & VTE objects, instead of the old islands which were designed and created for OFP. It would mean a great big city, large airbase and that sort of things.

There hopefully will be "major" change for the development of VTE in next few days, which hopefully brings us more efficient level for me and other developers as well as users who want to download the development version. I wont go into more details now as this thing not sure yet, but it wont be many days now before we know for sure.

The above change relates also for next release, I have edited quite a lot of things now and I'm pissed off for few annoying bugs or rather missing features in MP, for one example would be the 60second smoke shells which we edit so smoke emitting time is increased, as well as many pilot/cargo proxys still wrongly aligned and the mentioned gear, flap etc animatios on few aircrafts (C130, MC130 and F4's). So when we know about the change, it would mean that next release would come about that time or ASAP after that when I get all models/configs working ok so we can try it in MP.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-10-28 17:39:45

The ACH-47A starts to take shape, I'm having some problems with the config as the gunner views are completely porked, but the .50cal's can be fired from "hip" so to speak. Oh and I still need to attach the 40mm grenade launcher to the nose, then its done.

Today I cleaned the config completely, went through all the lines and indented it properly, fixed few small things in there also. The infantry is now available in editor for specific categories like Infantry USMC and Infantry NVA etc just like v0.4 has it.

Oh the thing I'm most happy about is that now the AH1 Cobras are completely fixed. I could not find any bugs in them when doing mission editor placed AI and team switch to them and by embarking empty helo. All works fine, gunsights and moving the turret work just fine.

I'd like to do the AirCav bisoldier rip but heh seems like I dont have enough time per day even for the basic fixing what I've trying to do lately.

I think its next release time pretty much in ... well dunno, tomorrow or so. I mean there would be endless loop of editing if I just kept going, time to put all the latest stuff into a play now. I'm not sure if it would be another hotfix or full install, I was talking about full install before but dunno how many megs a patch would be, to me all that matters is the download megs. Or if we definitely need to do full install, then I'm trying to tweak some more of the island floating objects as well as adding airbase concrete/aspfalt runways in them.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-10-31 23:59:46

Today was very nice editing day, got bunch of stuff done. It was mainly config work as I was using old computer which cant run buldozer or ArmA, so I had to just stick with EditPadPro text based editing :)

Current changelog

Code: Select all

--- fixes: full <date>
- added library entry for many many items on the list.
- added library entry for hushpuppy and prc25, typ63 radios.
- in VTE_RaiderSUUPod and VTE_SUU30POD used m134 4000 rounds per min settings.
- birddog changed aileronSensitivity=0.55 and elevatorSensitivity=0.2.
- a4 added audible=10 and changed insideSoundCoef=0.00001.
- b52 added audible=30 and changed armor=120.
- b52 changed aileron and elevator Sensitivity to 1.4.
- ah1g, ah1j, ch34 and ch47/ach47 added audible=40.
- f4's added audible=12, and insideSoundCoef=0.00001;
- added soundDammage[], soundGetIn[] and soundGetOut[] for all air vehicles.
- changed VTE_4x20Gun reload time to 0.04 and burst to 1.
- changed VTE_ah1_gl_m129 reloadtime to 0.17 and multiplier to 1.
- changed VTE_uh1_gl_m75 burst to 1.
- changed VTE_20mmCannon reloadTime to 0.07.
- changed all sound VTE_WPN\sounds\bomb.wss values to 0.0005.
- changed all soundFly VTE_Sounds\Weapons\bombfall.wss values to db-65.
- d30/dshkm both have now nva and vc crew.
- mike m14, m14mortor slodiers no ammo, fixed.
- RSSZ crashes at The North Island AirBase, fixed.
- added VTE_6Rnd_MK74 magazine for F4 Phantom use.
- removed VTE_MK77Rail and its magazines.
- removed COC napalm.
- added opening ramp door for CH47.
- added C130/MC130 opening ramp config.
- removed dhc4 cfgModels as it was not used at all.
- changed aircav pilot gear to m1911 + smoke grendes only. same for downed pilot.
- added ammo and weapon boxes for US and NVA.
- added searchlight for US and NVA forces.
- moved a1\scr, a4\scr, b52\scr, bd\scr, ch34\scr and f4\scr into vte_config\scripts\ dir.
- .50cal 750rnds m129 added bit more dispersion.
I'm sure ArmA will explode when I drop in the edits the first time, hehe but I'm still hopeful there is not too many errors.

Everything except the two WRP edits are config based, so we can do quick and painless upgrade, which includes our VTE MP server too. Quite nice fixes there which I would like to get into MP quickly. I'm planning on editing again tomorrow, hopefully I get bunch of stuff done.

One thing I'm wondering, for the water color change, do we need to edit the main bin/config.cpp file on the class cfgMaterials, or can we just inherit that stuff to our terrains, even change water color per terrain, any ideas?

I'm going to update the Library text technical / historical database topic also, I'd really appreciate if someone would help me out to fill in the blanks on many items there.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-05 00:36:26

To break up the heartwarming activity here in the forum I'll post a small development update...

I have been now editing nightly for the past few of nights, as said I'm using Gforce 2 GTS machine which does not run ArmA or Buldozer, so I'm editing "blind" and therefore mostly config stuff. Also the computers mouse right button started to fail tonight so that left me out from even WrpTool (could not move mapview) which pissed me off as I planned to adjust all the terrains water depths to deeper than the current -3m which always shows you the bottom.

So now I added proper UI pictures and namesounds for most of the units so they look all sweet in editor and in group view. Added the v0.4 group names and callsigns, so the missions can have some idividual callsign action instead of the defaults. Did some work for disabling the radio comms voices, dunno how it will work (remember I can run ArmA to test immediately, I edit blind). Added the v0.4 special soldier attributes like SEALs are more aware of their surroundings as normal grunts etc. Added individual ammo's for all magazines, so we are not relying on BIS ammo's anymore. More library work, now all basic soldiers have library entry, might be bit slim but at least the code is in, someone could help me out on filling the blanks. Put code in to hide BIS units/vehicles, so they cant be used in VTE missions. Added sound obstruct code to vehicles so your ears wont hurt anymore when flying helo etc. Added individual recoils to all remaining weapons that didnt have it and added fire modes for humans and AI for all weapons where AI will get higher dispersion as us humans. Fixed some missing sounds and added more new sounds mostly to vehicles. Added few LOD's to the M113ACAV which had none (well one, 16000 polys heh).

Bah I just post the changelog I'm tired of typing that stuff.

Changelog November 4th, 2007.

- vte_air\models\vte_b52.p3d - Not all levels have On Surface set, fixed.
- added UI pictures and icons for medics, RTOs, MGs, ATs, snipers and squad leaders.
- added old v0.4 group names, colors and HQ callsigns.
- added A6 intruder, F-105 thunderchief, F5 and MIG-17.
- added silenced radio voices config.
- added v0.4 soldier armor/skill values where appropriate.
- added individual VTE (non BIS) ammos for all magazines.
- added basic library text for all infantry types.
- added all magazines into library stringtable.
- added last air vehicles displaynames into stringtable.csv
- added zsu57 and ch34 helos to mission editor groups.
- attempt to hide BIS vehicles/units.
- added sound obstruct config entries for air vehicles.
- added vte_config\WeaponModes.hpp for base single, burst and automatic fire modes.
- added individual recoil for m1911, m39hp, m45, thompson, mas36, mp40, bren2,
- added individual recoil for m1carbine, m3a1/sd, ithaca, rpg2/7, ppd40, k98k.
- added individual fire modes for m1911, browning, m39hp, sten's, m45, thompson,
- added individual fire modes for enfieldn4, mas36, bren2, sks, type68.
- added individual fire modes for m16, mp40, ar15, m14, m21, m79, stoner ar/mg.
- added individual fire modes for enfieldn4, m1carbine, m3a1/sd, ithaca, ak47.
- added individual fire modes for mosin38, svt40, ppsh41, pps43, dp27, rpd.
- added individual fire modes for k98k, rpg2/7, ppd40.
- bren2, k98k, m72, rpg2/7 was missing firing and reloading sound, fixed.
- missing sounds mic_out and loop, fixed.
- VTE_objects config is not working, fixed (I hope).
- remove mig21flare as we dont even have the plane yet.
- added anzac m129 grenade launcher sound.
- added anzac m79 sound for m75 40mm grenade launcher.
- added anzac 20mm cannon sound.
- added anzac zuni sound for HVAR/UV1657/LAU10 and other rockets.
- anzac ROF/burst/etc setting for m129, m134, M60 vehicle weapons.
- created some crude lower res LODs for m113acav model.
- added proper rvmat file for m113acav model.
- cannot find a sound file vte_sounds\weapons\20mm_cannon.wss, fixed.
- added cfgmaterials brown water config to misc\terrain.hpp file.
- unified vehicle sounds under vte_sounds\vehicle\ dir.
That should be the new list which is new to the last post.

Anyways I'm very happy with the progress, if any of the blind editing stuff works on ArmA haha. Oh well time to fix more if there is problems. I have no idea when the next version is ready, or rather when I'm ready to release it. I'm kind of getting to the point that I cant do more editing (for now) in that gforce machine, so maybe the next release is getting closer.

Now you all can flood the forum with the posts like before...

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-06 02:27:25

Check out my findings on Visitor Terrain Analysis about the water depths.

To sum it up, with standard WrpTool operation we cannot get the dark ocean blue effect, only the turquoise shallow water coloring. Of course, -50m is quite darn deep for units, ie when we get SEALs with diving equipment, they have alot of room to swim in that depth. But for aircrafts, I really wanted to get that dark ocean blue effect and when approaching land you see the turquoise in shallow waters.

Of course if we use the brown water settings, dunno if this depth thing matters at all, as I'm assuming the brown murky water is so murky that you cant see through, it doesnt change color according to depth. Also as ArmA engine renders the water *everywhere* the same, we cannot distinct river and ocean... so if we want brown murky rivers, then the wide open ocean is that color too... heh.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-07 02:37:56

Okay so like five days of config editing blind and when I dropped the edits to ArmA I had to fix about 6 errors, but now I got stuck with this:

no entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/SoldierWB.woman'
Now, I have used UltraEdit to search the vte_config\ directorys ALL files on search string of "woman" or SoldierWB and I just simply cannot find any matches for woman and only two matches for SoldierWB and those are correct.

Where the HELL does this woman thing come from? :?

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-07 03:31:22

So much for that error, fixed it already, all the latest edits from last few days are now IN. Hooyah!

PMC since 1984

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2007-11-07 18:08:09

Makes me wanna sing!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-09 00:05:34

As said before I'm now happy as the hugely edited config works ingame, after fixing few errors here and there. Thinking about the amount of blind edits and new stuff, I am truly amazed it was so easy to get to run ingame.

Editing has been slowing down now as it really starts to tear me apart as I cant run ArmA/Buldozer in the editing machine which I use most of every day, in fact I have little time in my home machine where I then test the edits. Other edits include adding the new Hanky's images for the UI, if the config works that is... remains to be seen.

I have usually left the home computer to run the PMC LRRP Patrol mission as I'm gone and so far it hasn't crashed once. I put it on Charons troopmon in the action camera and use the + edition of it so it tracks the shots fired, its funny to see the AI fight like 16,000 rounds of M60, 14,000 rounds of M161, 15,000 rounds of AK47 fired and so on :)

Actually I've been doing a bit of background work again, like making those MLOD models of all the VTE used ArmA objects so the terrains can be properly loaded in WrpTool for editing. Oh yeah I added the evaluation version of the Anzac boy's 51km NAM terrain too, so that will be interesting to check out in MP if Steve creates some missions for it.

Well dunno what else to say so thats it, until next time.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-12 18:58:59

Saigon, we have a problem...

Yesterday I installed new ATI display card drivers to my windows XP, then when I tried to run ArmA I only get the D3DERR_INVALIDCALL error and it crashes. Well I uninstalled the drivers as reinstalled the older ones as I recall having this problem before... but this time the shit hit the fan, ArmA still doesnt work :x

I then went and installed DirectX 9.0c November 2007, no luck. I found the old February 2007 and reinstalled that, no go, ArmA just wont start.

I have now tried out these ATI video drivers:

7-10_xp32_dd_53250
7-10_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_53250:
9/28/2007, 8.421.0.0 driver.
ArmA not work. this is the latest which was the first version not to work I think?

7-6_xp_dd_48640:
6/13/2007, 8.383.0.0 driver.
ArmA not work.

hotfix_xp32-64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_48430:
5/24/2007, 8.381.0.0 driver.
ArmA not work.

7-5_xp_dd_ccc_wdm_46743:
5/17/2007, 8.380.0.0 driver.
ArmA not work.

So what does this mean? Well it means I cant run ArmA, I cant run VTE, I cant test my edits and fine tune them in ingame. I cant test VTE :(

Since ArmA ran before for one year okay for me, there is nothing changed in my computer hardware, its just that my XP is now so messed up by some reason (or that I'm missing the specific driver which works in my computer with ArmA) that this scenario came up.

I have now leeched:
6-5_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_32464.exe
7-1_xp_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_40211.exe
7-4_xp_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_44981.exe
7-7_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_49709.exe
7-8_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_50960.exe

Drivers and will try those out before I do anything more dramatic. The only more dramatic measure would be to completely reinstall my XP... which I definitely dont want to do as the backupping, XP installing and installing of all the software and setting it up would take approximately one day for me (more or less). That would mean that if I start right now, perhaps I can get back to VTE editing in three or so days, sigh.

At the moment the last VTE edits were the ground vehicle additions, M48 Patton, M551 Sheridan, PT76 and T55. They are just static tanks now, no weapons or animations/turrets work. I could release the current full install while I fix my computer problems, but... I'm not sure of the balance of good / bad in this current version, there was quite some items I needed to tweak when ArmA stopped working.

So this is just to update you guys and to post changelog:

- added m48, m551, pt76 and t55 tanks.
- added few missing aircraft sounds from v0.4, like gear/canopy etc.
- added mist logics and scripts from v0.4 vte_objects.
- added specific VTE wep/mag/ammo for dshkm and M2.
- added remaining v0.4 bombs.
- attempted to add VTE user interface.
- vte_ch47c.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_ch47c.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_ch47c.p3d missing gunner get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_uh1dustoff.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_uh1dustoff.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_uh1guns.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_uh1guns.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_uh1guns.p3d missing gunner get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_uh1gs.p3d missing gunner get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_uh1gs.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_uh1gs.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_a4_r.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_a4.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_oh6arg.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_oh6arg.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_oh6arg.p3d missing gunner get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_oh6a.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_oh6a.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_oh6a.p3d missing gunner get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_f4_grey_ag.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_f4_grey_ag.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_f4_tan_ag.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_f4_tan_ag.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_b52.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_b52.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_uh101.p3d missing config for right door gunner get in point, fixed.
- vte_uh101.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_uh101.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_birddog.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_birddog.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_mc130.p3d - Not all levels have On Surface set, fixed.
- vte_mc130.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_mc130.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_c130.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_c130.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_m113acav.p3d missing gunner get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_m113acav.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_m113acav.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_lssc.p3d was missing gunner pos and get in direction points, fixed.
- vte_lssc.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_lssc.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_ch34.p3d missing driver get in direction point, fixed.
- vte_ch34.p3d missing cargo get in direction point, fixed.
- changed water depths from -3m into -50m on nam_12, ilo, KheSanh, LongSon, MDSZ, MeeKong.
- changed water depths from -3m into -50m on PoleiKleng, QuanBinhSon, RIJ, RSSZ, VinhThanh.
- added runway to nam_12, nam_25, 7M, AustralianAO, IaDrang, MeeKong.
- vte_air\models\vte_b52.p3d - Not all levels have On Surface set, fixed.
- added UI pictures and icons for medics, RTOs, MGs, ATs, snipers and squad leaders.
- added old v0.4 group names, colors and HQ callsigns.
- added A6 intruder, F-105 thunderchief, F5 and MIG-17.
- added silenced radio voices config.
- added v0.4 soldier armor/skill values where appropriate.
- added individual VTE (non BIS) ammos for all magazines.
- added basic library text for all infantry types.
- added all magazines into library stringtable.
- added last air vehicles displaynames into stringtable.csv
- added zsu57 and ch34 helos to mission editor groups.
- attempt to hide BIS vehicles/units.
- added sound obstruct config entries for air vehicles.
- added vte_config\WeaponModes.hpp for base single, burst and automatic fire modes.
- added individual recoil for m1911, m39hp, m45, thompson, mas36, mp40, bren2,
- added individual recoil for m1carbine, m3a1/sd, ithaca, rpg2/7, ppd40, k98k.
- added individual fire modes for m1911, browning, m39hp, sten's, m45, thompson,
- added individual fire modes for enfieldn4, mas36, bren2, sks, type68.
- added individual fire modes for m16, mp40, ar15, m14, m21, m79, stoner ar/mg.
- added individual fire modes for enfieldn4, m1carbine, m3a1/sd, ithaca, ak47.
- added individual fire modes for mosin38, svt40, ppsh41, pps43, dp27, rpd.
- added individual fire modes for k98k, rpg2/7, ppd40.
- bren2, k98k, m72, rpg2/7 was missing firing and reloading sound, fixed.
- missing sounds mic_out and loop, fixed.
- VTE_objects config is not working, fixed (I hope).
- remove mig21flare as we dont even have the plane yet.
- added anzac m129 grenade launcher sound.
- added anzac m79 sound for m75 40mm grenade launcher.
- added anzac 20mm cannon sound.
- added anzac zuni sound for HVAR/UV1657/LAU10 and other rockets.
- anzac ROF/burst/etc setting for m129, m134, M60 vehicle weapons.
- created some crude lower res LODs for m113acav model.
- added proper rvmat file for m113acav model.
- cannot find a sound file vte_sounds\weapons\20mm_cannon.wss, fixed.
- added cfgmaterials brown water config to misc\terrain.hpp file.
- unified vehicle sounds under vte_sounds\vehicle\ dir.
- added library entry for many many items on the list.
- added library entry for hushpuppy and prc25, typ63 radios.
- in VTE_RaiderSUUPod and VTE_SUU30POD used m134 4000 rounds per min settings.
- birddog changed aileronSensitivity=0.55 and elevatorSensitivity=0.2.
- a4 added audible=10 and changed insideSoundCoef=0.00001.
- b52 added audible=30 and changed armor=120.
- b52 changed aileron and elevator Sensitivity to 1.4.
- ah1g, ah1j, ch34 and ch47/ach47 added audible=40.
- f4's added audible=12, and insideSoundCoef=0.00001;
- added soundDammage[], soundGetIn[] and soundGetOut[] for all air vehicles.
- changed VTE_4x20Gun reload time to 0.04 and burst to 1.
- changed VTE_ah1_gl_m129 reloadtime to 0.17 and multiplier to 1.
- changed VTE_uh1_gl_m75 burst to 1.
- changed VTE_20mmCannon reloadTime to 0.07.
- changed all sound VTE_WPN\sounds\bomb.wss values to 0.0005.
- changed all soundFly VTE_Sounds\Weapons\bombfall.wss values to db-65.
- d30/dshkm both have now nva and vc crew.
- mike m14, m14mortar soldiers no ammo, fixed.
- RSSZ crashes at The North Island AirBase, fixed.
- added VTE_6Rnd_MK74 magazine for F4 Phantom use.
- removed VTE_MK77Rail and its magazines.
- removed COC napalm.
- added opening ramp door for CH47.
- added C130/MC130 opening ramp config.
- removed dhc4 cfgModels as it was not used at all.
- changed aircav pilot gear to m1911 + smoke grendes only. same for downed pilot.
- added ammo and weapon boxes for US and NVA.
- added searchlight for US and NVA forces.
- moved a1\scr, a4\scr, b52\scr, bd\scr, ch34\scr and f4\scr into vte_config\scripts\ dir.
- .50cal 750rnds m129 added bit more dispersion.
So if you guys really are pioneers in development and request that I would simply pack the pbo's up and upload as next full release, I can do that. But I guess its obvious now that there is bugs and problems in the current edits, so is the balance in MP server then better or worse then 10-05-07 + hotfix 4... I dont know.

What say you? :)

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-13 04:11:55

Now I systematically installed all of those leeched ATI display drivers through, still no go, ArmA will crash on startup. The last thing I figured I should do before reinstalling XP is to reinstall ArmA itself. This sounded very lame as there was definitely nothing wrong in ArmA itself as no default ArmA files were changed with the ATI display driver installs.

Well what you know, I reinstalled the euro v1.04, it started up! So far so good. Then I reinstalled Queens Gambit and v1.08 patch, it still ran ok, wow. I installed those old users/ dirs and mod dirs back and ... hot damn ArmA still runs!

Hooyah! We're back on editing, baby! :D

PMC since 1984

hanky
Recruit

Post by hanky » 2007-11-13 04:25:14

Glad to hear you fixed your computer troubles. I recently had to re-install windows. I updated my video card drivers but messed it up and Windows would not let me use the mouse OR keyboard at the login screen, a real pain.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-14 16:21:55

I think its another update time. I received permissions from BWMod to use their old S-56 Sikorsky helicopter, so that is configured in now, I even created normal / specular maps for it. Also I added the ZU23 by AKM/Torni but I'm still waiting permissions for that, but since it takes forever and this is only a pre-alpha, I decided to configure it in. No big deal if they by miracle decide to say "No". Also I had discussions with Linker Split about "his" objects made by Tbone2000 for the original OFP Dak Seang island, those objects are the buddha statue, temples, temple ruins and big city objects, they are now added in with permissions from Tbone2000/Linker Split. I'm certain the buddha statues and temples come in handly, but the jury is still out on the big city objects as they seem to have various quality and overall look, not to mention size and shape heh. Hopefully all that stuff is okay. Mainly I wanted big city (ruined war torn city) objects as ArmA now allows us to build insane sized cities without CPU slowdowns.

Also I'm really happy that now the edited BIsoldier models for AirCav and USMC are added in with the Queens Gambit grenadier NAM helmet. Tried to do generic special forces type soldier model with the boonie hat and tigerstripe camo (texture by Vilas), it came out allright but I'm not completely happy with it, however you can now clearly distinct him as SF type so it does its job.

Also I fixed bunch of showstopper bugs like error dialogs that come up when mission is started/playing. There was one texture missing as I shuffled around the aircraft weapon texture dirs, by some reason M3A1 greasegun had inventory image missing and browning handgun was missing a recoil setting... all these came up with my VTE Stresstest 2 mission. I just simply love that mission/method, it is real life saver when doing testing. It will have no mercy, if there is showstopper bugs, you will discover them in there. Right now I've left the current build to run "overnight" with this mission and there has been no showstopper bugs, all looking good.

I would still like to add the newly added tanks fully working before next full release, but it feels like endless circle of editing without end in sight. I guess thats nothing new, but I feel pain the each day I cant be playing this with you guys on our MP server (and to discover what new bugs we have heh).

I really really want to get the full install released ASAP.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-19 18:24:26

Another develoooser diary update time!

Went through the posts and bug lists etc, came up with few requests of the PBR boat so I added it in. Fixed the MiG-19 animated parts. Checked that all napalm dropping aircrafts do actually drop the napalm cannister and the script is working, altough it needs some tweaking as even in singleplayer just one bomb causes some slowdowns.

Then I needed a little VTE break so what do I do, I start Falcon 4 Vietnam Theater and fly few sorties (ok ok! I didnt fly it was combat autopilot, I just enjoyed the ride) on A-6E Intruder out of the carrier on Yankee Station. We dropped some napalm and MK-82 retarded bombs. I was amazed that the A-6 carried 13 napalm cannisters and insane amount of MK-82's (didnt even get good count, must be like 15+ heh). Then had some fights with SA-2 sites and it brought the surface to air missile issue to my mind... we need it on ArmA... for VTE...

Well I then jumped through my image resource dir and thanks for NeF's great image links I got couple of good photos and went into O2 with my elite modeling skillz. Fiddled there a bit, done...

SA-2 launcher

Looks pretty eh? HEHE! :oops:

Then some configs... finally got it working, it shoots down helos like there is no tomorrow. Now the skies of Vietnam are that bit more dangerous. Hook up this baby with ZSU-57's on some "network" and you got some serious problems for US aircrafts.

Just a disclaimer; that model looks like piece of shit, I know that, but the main idea was to get it ingame and under testing how it performs in MP so its dangerous and playable (ie as opponent for aircrafts) etc, its not meant to be high poly cool model with super textures, as you remember we dont have real modeler or texturer so what can we/I do, eh... so I'm happy with this placeholder now :)

PMC since 1984

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2007-11-19 18:43:11

As we use no chaffs/flares/ECM and stuff, i would be nice If we could evade the missile in some cases, with evading maneuvers (snaking, barrel rolling,etc) or even by getting behind some relief.
It would be nice too to "bind" it to a radar station, wich could be destroyed and make the sam-site harmless.
Radar station for SA2 guideline :

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-19 19:34:19

Yes I was planning on adding that sort of radar / guide truck for the launchers, you knock that out and the launchers dont know where to fire. That would of course have to be scripted, but should be pretty easy to do.

I believe early in the war the SA-2 sites were placed on the star shaped layout which was easy to detect from the air and was always attacked until NVA started to use some other layout which was not so easy to spot. I cant remember where I read that so dont have any links, if anyone has more detailed info please share... actually post it into the research topic please.

PMC since 1984

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-11-20 02:38:17

All looks and sounds like the next patch wiil be great.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-20 20:36:59

This editing day could not have come to more happier conclusion... I finally fixed the ACH-47A gunships turret rotations! Yeah now the turrets work properly so you can aim up, down, left and right. Only minor thing still broken is the gunner view, you always look the wrong way but that is no big deal as you can use 3rd person (3rd helo heh) or just look where the cursor is pointing. Finally we can have this beast in MP with 6 people firing their individual weapons (previously we could only use/aim 2 weapons).

Todays other edits where the SA-2 which was already posted in the SA-2 Guideline topic.

Actually I spend some time researching the fan song radar vehicle, trying to find blueprints for it, as well as I ended up almost by accident to learn more about some 3d modeling programs (Modo and 3ds max), checked many video tutorials. Oh yeah tried to find blueprints for KS-19 anti aircraft gun (or cannon really) too, that would be quite good addition to the NVA arsenal if we could get it modeled.

Now I'm wondering... could I manage to squeeze in the AC-130 Spectre for the next release... :o

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-21 11:59:08

Aww... bad news. I modeled basic gun/cannon barrels, added them properly into the C130 model making it therefore AC-130, then I configured it all up and tried ingame, but it wont work, the guns just shoot directly ahead along the axis of the plane :(

Confirmed this from BIS forum topic where RockofSL says:
You can add them and the gunner can move the turret in first person view. BUT they can only fire along the axis of the plane.
And even Suma has said:
...turret support for [fixed wing] aircraft is very incomplete. Weapon positions and directions are not considered from turrets, but from the main body instead.
So there we go, sorry that we cant have AC-130 working ingame, I was so looking forward to shooting the 105mm cannon from it :(

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-23 02:05:28

I am happy to announce that VTE has reached the point of next full release.

Oh man I am so exhausted for editing, I'm like way beyond burnout now, heh its unbelievable. Its been so damn hardcore editing for me this past... umm month(?) or so that even the OFP VTE days pale in comparison. I wake up, edit and in the early morning hours I crash back to bed just to start up the loop again some hours later. I've learn tons of new stuff, heck I even made two completely new models (the poor excuse of model SA-2's haha), learnt about texture merging, turrets and all kinds of stuff.

There is so freaking much new stuff in this upcoming version that I cant even recall all of them right now (will post changelog later), I feel that I've now satisfied most of the requests brought up in the MP sessions (mostly by great Anzac SAS boys) as well as good portion of the bug fixes. Of course one downside for the new stuff is that for example all the new tank vehicles are pretty much mission placeholders meaning their turrets wont turn, wheels dont rotate and every other way they are broken, also the leading edge of technology the ACH-47A gunship helo still has the gunner-view broken, otherwise shes working great. Small things like that but I really do hope you hardcore pre-alpha NAM enthusiast guys all understand this and not just complain "it sucks" etc.

Only things I'm disappointed didn't get into this release which was highly talked about was the aircraft carrier kitty hawk (could not make it to work yet, PM's are pending for shipmaster APSGnat to help me out heh) and more of those "new" soldier models (aircav is still the RACS retexture as well as NVA/VC).

I'm very glad that this task is over... this task meaning the road to the next release. Now I can finally get back to some MP action and relax a bit.

The release post will be made when the rar has been uploaded, this will take several hours to complete, so stay tuned.

Btw technical release details look like; pbo sizes 1.09gb and rarred release download size 319mb (might change a bit but thats the estimate).

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-01 20:53:04

Anzacsas I quoted you here as I didn't want to offtopic the suggestion box.
Could the time be increased for Dropping of weapons once the player(and AI) have been swimming too long.
I have no clue, but sounds like a good tweak if we can do it. Somehow I think its not possible, but have to try to find out.
Hows the A1 going?
No news, its actually included in the latest release if you just replace the p3d model in the config you can fly it, it has "all" animations working while the old A1 doesn't heh. Check it out for private use.
Did ya get the blacked out cockpit problem fixed?(was that the problem?cant remember)
"No" in the sense of not the original textures, but I slammed some Footmunch cockpit glass texture there and it works ok.

PMC since 1984

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-12-02 05:15:30

Thx m8 :)

Ill check it out.Footmunch...hmmm Whats that "OFP God :lol: " been upto?

I miss the full air arsenal that he did for OFP.

There was one thing i do remember about the RKT stuff was that i had to replace the Glass textures for most of his planes :cry: cos they were really hard to see out of(made it seem like there was too much fog in a mission when there was none).Hope he's going use ARMA glass for his next Generation stuff.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-18 10:20:50

I was talking with [HC]Para through email as hes now developing the VTE terrains further, hes been working on them for few weeks now and so far I've heard nice things which we hopefully get to see in the next release, but dont hold us countable on that (I've done putting out promises or release dates heh).

Anyways here is some background information he told me and we talked about posting this at the same time into the developer topic, so here goes:

[HC]Para:
I mean 'true ArmA' as wasn't a map designed for OFP, a map designed to be played in ArmA and takes into account our limitations on the forest and grass 'squares' -IE its pretty damn flat!!!!!

I never liked the MeeKong terrain, was originally made from Everon as per the example editing for WRPEdit (was actually started the week WRPEdit was released - so this map has a LONG history LOL!). Wolf (my brother) didn't start with a map of the region, he started with Everon and MeeKong was born from there - which has always meant a lot of compromises over time in regards to the overall 'look' of the island.

The mountains etc I was never really happy with - it was an OK 'generic' Nam map and had some great areas (like the fishfarms/my tho/plain of reeds section) - but wasn't a 'real mekong' map - ie didnt have the right river channels etc.

This new MeeKong was built the same way as Phuoc Tuy (what then became AAO) - from a satallite map of the actual area - so it looks more 'real' when comparing the ingame map with one of the actual Delta region. Many hours were spent making just the basic terrain 'look right'.

Should be fun to play on, but at this time I've only done some minor test 'firefights' to check objects for 'floaters'.

This new Mekong should be under a different name in the editor, perhaps Mekong Delta (yes, spelled right!), mainly wanted to alert you to the new island to make any changes you may need to in the VTE configs. Pre-prepare I guess - its not a map designed to replace MeeKong original, more to run alongside it :)

In regards to 1024 Mekong - when I tested it with a reasonoble amount of objects (like half a million), ArmA kept crashing (Snake-note: possibly the long viewdistance CTD issue). With fewer objects on there, she worked fine - so again I compromised and have made the map 256, has loads of objects, but runs happily 24/7 without crashing. The other thing is that I want people to use the map - and I realise that making a map with several hours traveling time between towns is somewhat daunting - again I feel that 'its a game' and if people can't find any Charlie to shoot, they tend to say 'this is boring'. I personally like the big maps, I like missions which could potentially last for days if not weeks or months - it adds to the "Nambience" imoho. I realise though that most folks dont!

Whilst the map is actually full 256 x 256 (edge to edge), i did end up putting it into WRPtool on a 512 x 512 as I ran into the issue of the new 'brown water' hitting the edge of the world, where it changes to the default 'aqua' - with a 256 map sitting on a 512 area, I avoided this with a really simple solution :)

Compromises, compromises - in the end to make it 'more fun' for more users I hope :)

PMC since 1984

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-12-19 09:20:35

Sounds Fantastic dudes!

The Phuoc Tuy Province island From OFP was a Favorite, Will There possibly be a port for ARMA?

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-12-21 12:05:03

Hi snake man, :)

The "ai not shooting over sandbags ARMA bug" has been fixed on the VTE sandbag and crate walls. :)

Ill send you a copy of the editor objects cfg for you to have a look at after chrismas sometime. 8-)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-21 12:20:35

Thanks man, thanks for everyone for keeping the VTE fire burning while I was awol on the Falcon 4 theater land :o

I've just started to put out the first promised final theaters, still couple finals to do (mostly packing them into installers, uploading and posting), but when those are done in my schedule of Dec 23rd, I'll be returning full speed to VTE development.

I will fail the scheduled "final alpha in end of 2007" as I didn't realize my big mouth will get me into trouble with the F4 theaters. Many of you might have noticed that I havent played single VTE MP session since the last release, so things kind of got out of hand. I have to get some MP time after christmas as I have no idea how the new vehicles and configs work there now.

So any file updates or suggestions I should get, please hold them off after christmas (Dec 25/26th at least).

PMC since 1984

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-12-27 18:28:30

Hi snakeman,

I ahve been testing VTE whilst running ARMA 1.09 Patch and have some interesting results.

The first is that the bugged run to crouch animation is fixed in VTE animations. :D

The second is the AI fire over VTE sandbags and crate walls. :D

But the third isn't very good. :(

Its the grass/Terrain Detail,or lack of it....On my installation there is no grass.BIS Patch 1.09 has altered the way the grass is pu in the terrain or something cos i have copied the clutter_grass_long.P3D from ARMA objects pbo to VTE_objects and changed the file path and there is still no grass!! Is this happening to you snake man or anyone else when they run VTE with Beta Patch 1.09?
:roll:

Also my PC used to run North Sahrani Forrests good but now with Patch 1.09 it Jams up like its ramming out and gets about 6 frames per second!!!

And the grass that they have used to replace the North Sahrani Grass (VTE long Grass that I/we all know for a fact runs very good!!) runs very Heavy, looks nowhere near as nice and if you lay prone in it an zoom your optics you lose a massive amount of FPS!!!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-28 19:53:31

I havent run 1.09b with VTE.

Here is the config updates I did, not sure if they are any use but here they are anyways. I wanted to do some more but this already has been done since 25th so I better just put it up now rather than keep laying in my idle dev dir.

Download VTE_config_12-25-07.rar - 140kb.

Dedicated server has NOT been update with this, as I want to have some feedback first. Do the shore have correct color? Do the AI engage properly? etc.

PMC since 1984

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA)”