Last ArmA 3 Editing Cycle for Year 2022

ArmA 3 editing; configs, modeling, missions, textures, terrain etc.

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Last ArmA 3 Editing Cycle for Year 2022

Post by Snake Man » 2022-10-31 05:20:09

On october 27th 2022 was feeling burnt out and bored for daily general editing and computer work, plan was to get Farming Simulator 19 PMC Minnesota Lowry 8km object placing started but could not even launch the terrain editor, this had been going on what felt like weeks (plus I had the september Cities Skylines savegame marathon as well).

Only thing that even remotely interested was creating an ArmA 3 real world data terrain for ukraine as there has been increased activity in the news again. So decided to fire up the tools and get started.

This launched the last quarter or fall of 2022 ArmA 3 editing cycle.

It feels kind of weird / important / emotional as depending on how Windows 8.1 support ending turns out eventually, this ArmA 3 editing cycle could be my last. Hey, you never know. I still cant believe it but facts are facts (win8.1 support).

Right now on 2022-10-31T04:53:00Z while typing this message I have brand new big 81.9km x 81.9km ukraine terrain compiled in terrain builder, yeah I wont name it yet so the release will be a surprise of which location it is (its not the kerch bridge linked above). Still need to test it in-game ArmA 3 to see what I missed, at least heightmap needs the water creeping to land fix done to it and airfield runways were not smoothed out, so there is still work to be done, final touches so to speak.

Also I had a devastating setback with the summer of 2022 germany and poland terrains I created... :x

Discovered that global mapper UTM projection was set (obviously) but unfortunately "Datum" was set to some stupid google maps instead of WGS84 what ArmA 3 terrain builder uses, so I had to remake all those terrains.

The reason for this was my september 2020 windows 8.1 and global mapper install which somehow "broke" the default settings, ever since early 2017 my global mapper has been working fine but now after that re-install it default to some stupid settings and I have to jump through tool pipeline steps to add the proper datum, plus roads.shp is broken in arma3 etc all kinds of "fun stuff".

I am still not sure if I can use the existing 40km terra incognita satellite imagery or do I have to remake everything from ground up.

Because 40km terrains are little girlie men sizes, decided to increase the size where possible. New increased terrain sizes are as follows: Germany landstuhl 65.5km, poland lask 65.5km, poland powidz 65.5km, poland poznan 65.5km, poland rzeszow 65.5km

Poland miroslawiec and poland swidwin needs to remain 40km size because they are so close to each other that overlap becomes a problem. Yeah technically I could do just one huge terrain but because these are focused new campaign hub terrains they have to be individual terrains.

Didn't want to do duplicate post on all these topics so this is now both update on all of them and announcement of last ArmA 3 editing cycle for year 2022. Here are the development topics:

PMC Germany Landstuhl Development
PMC Poland Lask Development
PMC Poland Powidz Development
PMC Poland Poznan Development
PMC Poland Rzeszow Development
PMC Poland Swidwin Development
PMC Poland Miroslawiec Development
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Re: Last ArmA 3 Editing Cycle for Year 2022

Post by Snake Man » 2022-11-02 05:26:35

Terra incognita has been downloading ArcGIS satellite imagery pretty much non stop, its downloading when I go to sleep and the first thing I do when waking up is to start another download.

Did some misc global mapper work on the side, but overall its been slow going. Still feeling that burnout hitting hard. But slowly doing progress, things will get done.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2022-11-27 07:22:32

2022-11-27T07:02:00Z

Last night finished watching 15 day tv show marathon, been completely without doing any other computer stuff during the last two weeks.

Plan now is to check those latest ArmA 3 terrain edits in-game, make a bug / issue list and fix them before release. Also Farming Simulator 19 PMC Iowa Garden City 8km release is planned.

I would like to play some ArmA 3 and FS19 as well, but my time is short because win8.1 support ending so I want to maximize my terrain builder and other addon editing time. I will play some for sure, but it just feels like such a waste to just "play for my own fun" while I should be editing for the benefit for everyone in the communities.

Looking forward to do some terrain processor forest vegetation project file tweaking, that has the greatest impact on almost all of our terrains. Also been toying with the idea of fixing few remaining bugs in FS19 terrains that have already been released, but no actual plans on that yet cant even remember what bugs are there.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2022-11-29 13:10:23

PMC Germany Landstuhl
PMC Poland Lask
PMC Poland Miroslawiec
PMC Poland Powidz
PMC Poland Poznan
PMC Poland Rzeszow
PMC Poland Swidwin

That above terrain list have now gotten the basic functionality bugs fixed, airfield runways are leveled and roads.shp shape files are working, terrains are binarized in ArmA 3. They are ready to release, but I'll give them a bit deeper tests in Gaming computer with proper viewDistance etc.

Glad to have these terrains in release condition, now the hard work has been done and its just about tweaks, plus all the release web pages and forum post nonsense :)

PMC since 1984