Hcpookie Artillery Pack Game-play

ArmA 3 general discussion

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Hcpookie Artillery Pack Game-play

Post by Snake Man » 2022-06-12 00:27:06

Hcpookie Artillery Pack (pook arty pack)

Yesterday created a quick dirty mock-up mission in editor, no sqf scripts used just "throw few units in editor" type of thing so I can finally get to test Hcpookie's arty pack in actual mission.

Goal was not to create a proper mission but just something for me to test how arty pack works when shots are being fired in anger.

This is my very first experience with Hcpookie arty pack, yes I do have testing missions and I have fired arty guns in editor missions for years to test stuff out, but never in actual mission. So what I wrote is from a complete newbies perspective.

The mission I created was using bis support module, not Hcpookie's own artillery function script. Bad guys were CUP russian vehicles and some infantry squads, plus of course some of Hcpookie's RU artillery pieces (didn't use all of them, but there was maybe half of the vehicle types in use). Friendly forces were CUP US army M-777, M270 MLRS and UAV drone MQ-9 Reaper's.

I wrote notes down (didn't plan on posting them on forums, but why not) which you can see below:

2022-06-11T07:27:18Z

Was playing my quickly mocked up mission.sqm only mission pmc_arty_death.PMC_51km_desert and quickly realized that artillery is extremely inaccurate, you cannot just point your binoculars to a tank and call in 1 round kill shot, its not going to work like that. Best estimate would be to just order 4 round strike to that location and hope enough damage is done to the vehicle.

On softer skin vehicles like APCs the crew usually bails out after first nearby hit, these vehicles get destroyed on direct or very close hits, usually no wheeled vehicle survives even one nearby hit as wheels are blown out and that point crew will bail out, so that vehicle is out of the fight.

Tanks, well thick armor vehicle can take several hits right next to them and just shrug it off, armor is no joke.

When softer skin vehicles have crew bailing out they obviously are next to die in additional hits, that's why its good idea to always order at least 2 round strike to wheeled / APC type vehicles.

Using bis support module Hcpookie laser guided munitions do not appear to work, it did nothing or landed somewhere kilometers away and GPS guided was no more accurate than regular HE shell.

Today UAV drone MQ-9 Reaper targeting for artillery (bis support module) worked just fine, arty guns did not go offline or act up (like happened in PMC Brave Hammer campaign with M252 mortar's).

2022-06-11T08:31:20Z

Seems like Hcpookie M-777 artillery gun's M712 Copperhead Laser round is not working; I laser target location, call the arty up, it goes through radio protocol all the way up to "splash" but nothing happens, no round never hits.

Also M-777 artillery gun's AP Heat round nothing happens after radio call splash.

I have to say some of these CUP russian armored vehicles take just insane artillery pounding before they explode. I have to think there might be some sort of issue with the armor damage resistance levels, dunno. Maybe I need to google if 155mm artillery round is effective against tanks.

Edit: I googled it and overall internet sources state that direct hit from 155mm artillery shell to M1A2 Abrams tank WILL disabled it, if not completely destroy (crew dead etc). Of course this is a direct hit (topside, obviously as its arty), so maybe I didn't get any direct hits and then shrapnel damage resistance config values came to play. Dunno. As said: I'm newbie when it comes to 155mm arty in arma3.

2022-06-11T13:30:27Z

I'm now pretty much convinced that you cant kill those armored tank looking Hcpookie artillery pieces using 155mm artillery shells, you can pound them over and over again and nothing, not even crew bails out. Guess the tracks wont break so easily?

When using M270 MLRS rocket fire and get a very close hits then armored tank looking arty pieces will blow up gloriously.

2022-06-12T00:12:00Z

After my yesterdays first real Hcpookie artillery pack combat mission I feel like these vehicles can definitely be added to PMC missions in general, a lot of fun to play with them, shoot them and destroy them :)

Needs still a bit more testing, also need to submit some bug reports to Hcpookie as I discovered some russian artillery vehicles are missing damage/destroyed textures.

Will probably do a whole campaign around this test mission, it was so much fun heh.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."