ArmA 3 VTE Porting Plan and History

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA 3

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

ArmA 3 VTE Porting Plan and History

Post by Snake Man » 2016-12-13 21:04:10

Foreword for those who are new to VTE history; PMC ported ArmA 2 VTE to ArmA 3 as "preview version" already back in May 2013. This topic you are reading right now is about to port the FULL and COMPLETE mod.

ArmA 3 VTE Porting Plan

Porting plan is well thought procedure in this following order.

1 - Terrains

- terrain objects, config (no model edits needed for basic stuff I believe)
- terrains, config, wrp / satellites work pretty much as-is

This would be the big first step. Largest component of the mod meggage wise no doubt. Terrain is the base platform of an full mod.

2 - Weapons

- weapons, config + bare minimum p3d changes

Verify in virtual arsenal that all weapons work without errors (config errors which cause dialog to pop up).

3 - Characters

- characters, config + splitting up p3d uniforms, helmets, vests

Quite large task to split all that shit up and keep track what helmet/vest goes to which character etc. Then configure all weapons into them too (old configs should work though).

4 - Vehicles

- vehicles, config + model changes for physx and all the other arma3 shit

What I've heard the physx thing and gearboxes for ground vehicles is a bitch to edit. I assume this will be another quite large task, at least to get them work somewhat ok.

5 - Balance

- balance tweaking configs

When everything is in and working without errors, then starts the game play balance tweaking those configs, I'm sure not all values from arma2 work anymore.

6 - ArmA 2 Missions

- Port VTE ArmA 2 missions

Mod is worthless without missions and PMC is dedicated to bring extensive coverage with mission content.

7 - OFP Missions

- Port VTE OFP missions, which were never ported to arma or arma2.

Porting History of what really happened

12-11-16 2357hrs I started by copying VTE_objects into arma3work dir and 12-12-16 0000hrs addon builder was already binarizing ;)

12-12-16

0050hrs vte_core_cfg, vte_objects and vte_objects_cfg was in-game without errors (vte_core wasnt complete of course).

0110hrs vte_bis_obj and vte_bis_obj_cfg in-game

0118hrs vte_terrain_clutter and vte_terrain_data in-game

0129hrs vte_brown_water_cfg, vte_sounds and vte_sounds_cfg in-game

0158hrs vte_terrain_cfg, vte_terrain_debug_all_objects and vte_terrain_debug_all_objects_cfg in-game

0232hrs vte_terrain_wrp_7m, _data_layers, _00 and _01 in-game (first real terrain!) :)

0252hrs vte_terrain_wrp_ashau, _data_layers, _00 and _01 in-game

0334hrs vte_terrain_wrp_australianao, _data_layers, _00, _01, _02, vte_terrain_wrp_bra, _data_layers, _00 and _01 in-game

0414hrs vte_terrain_wrp_dak_seang, _data_layers, _00, _01, vte_terrain_wrp_fsb_gloria, vte_terrain_wrp_gao_rung, _data_layers, _00, _01 and _02 in-game

0449hrs vte_terrain_wrp_ia_drang, _data_layers, _00, _01, vte_terrain_wrp_iiictza, _data_layers, _00, _01, vte_terrain_wrp_ilo, _data_layers, _00 and _01 in-game

0558hrs vte_terrain_wrp_intro, vte_terrain_wrp_iron_triangle, vte_terrain_wrp_khe_sanh, _data_layers, _00, _01, vte_terrain_wrp_ku_bao_tien, _data_layers, _00, _01 and _02 in-game

0637hrs vte_terrain_wrp_long_son, _data_layers, _00, vte_terrain_wrp_mdsz, _data_layers, _00, _01, vte_terrain_wrp_meekong, _data_layers, _00 and _01 in-game

0722hrs vte_terrain_wrp_nam_12, _data_layers, _00, _01, vte_terrain_wrp_nam_25, _data_layers, _00, _01, _02, vte_terrain_wrp_nui_chet, _data_layers, _00, _01 and _02 in-game

0912hrs vte_terrain_wrp_polei_kleng, _data_layers, _00, _01, vte_terrain_wrp_pu_mat, _data_layers, _00, _01, _02, vte_terrain_wrp_quan_binh_son, _data_layers, _00, _01, vte_terrain_wrp_rij, _data_layers, _00, vte_terrain_wrp_rssz, _data_layers, _00, _01, vte_terrain_wrp_si_thau, _data_layers, _00, _01, _02, vte_terrain_wrp_tet68, vte_terrain_wrp_vinh_thanh, _data_layers, _00 and _01 in-game

12-13-16

0146hrs vte_weapons m16a1 in-game so so :)

2106hrs pistols, rifles, radios and launchers in-game. all infantry weapons work in virtual arsenal! :)

12-16-16

0110hrs vte_chara started; AirCav in-game, only base character mesh, gear has to be separated later.

0327hrs US Army in-game.

0443hrs ARVN in-game.

0521hrs Australian RAR/SAS in-game.

0553hrs Civilians in-game.

0622hrs LRRP ERDL and Tiger in-game.

0647hrs MIKE in-game.

0716hrs NVA in-game.

0819hrs SEAL in-game.

0842hrs Special Forces in-game.

1053hrs Bushman, Cammerc, CIDG, Civilian VC/Rebels, Hoichan, USMFR, PRU, SOG Hatchet/Recon, USMC, VC and Vietminh in-game :D

1214hrs brought in vte_air, _cfg, vte_ordnance, _cfg, vte_sounds_vehicles and vte_sounds_weapons. air stuff gives a lot of config porting problems, a real can of worms heh.

12-18-16

0318hrs vte_air progress continues; all *.?pp,*.rvmat,*.bisurf files replaced ca\ arma2 paths with native VTE ones (or few cases arma3 ones). copied lot of missing sound files and textures. This was for all VTE addond dirs not jus vte_air dir.

12-19-16

1135hrs switched to use Mikero pboProject because bis addon builder just wasn't working properly and right now got vte_air to process without errors through pboProject. Also I put most of other addons through it, only thing were polei kleng which had some missing objects which I was not about to go hunt now.

12-20-16

0206hrs vte_air and its config is now in-game so that arma3 starts without errors with all aircrafts and helicopters in a mission. I have not tried to play with them yet so that (config) is totally different matter.

1006hrs vte_land and its config is now in-game so that arma3 starts without errors with all armored, soft and support vehicles in a mission.

1129hrs vte_arty and its config is now in-game so that arma3 starts without errors with all the artillery pieces in a mission. no chance of arty working though that they would shoot (and hit) shells yet.

1206hrs vte_sea and its config now in-game without errors with all ships/boats in a mission.

1225hrs vte_mines and its config now in-game without errors with all mines in a mission.

1233hrs vte_music and its config in-game heh.

1252hrs vte_animals and its config in-game, lotsa chickens ;)

1306hrs vte_dispersion_cfg in-game without errors.

addons to do:
vte_disable_voices_russian_cfg <- well disable greek I suppose? silence AI would work as well I think, hmm.
vte_running_speeds_cfg
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Re: ArmA 3 VTE Porting Plan and History

Post by Snake Man » 2016-12-16 09:02:37

Been editing all day all night, just got VTE_chara (characters) ported, all are in-game. Some have few issues but they are in-game now.

I cannot believe how good progress I've done, but that's what you get when you edit hard all day heh ;)

So now the first 3 phases are done; terrains, weapons and characters. Can't believe I get to start porting vehicles tomorrow (heck maybe even get to do some prelim work today before snoozing off).

Hmm maybe prioritize porting the Huey so our boys get some helo to fly around, damn I could even make some basic missions at a that point! Can't wait! ;)

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2016-12-20 08:10:23

Another all niter behind me, was working on VTE_land and its config, they are now in-game so that there is no errors when all armored, soft and support vehicles are in a mission, hooyah! :)

Looking at the list I still have artillery pieces to do which are vehicles too, but unfortunately those were not working fully in arma2 either so that should be quick port.

Enough talk, back to editing ;)

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2016-12-20 11:31:31

Hooyah we could say that all the major phases are done now! :D

Only things left are the disable opfor-non-vietnamese voices (arma2 was russian but in arma3 its greek) and running speeds, but these two are very very minor addons, I left them on the todo list but yeah now I can state that initial VTE ArmA 3 porting phases are DONE! :)

I want to make it clear at this time VTE is not playable at all, the stuff are just in with bare minimum configs so it wont give errors in-game, I have not tested vehicles at all. Currently terrains, characters and infantry weapons do work, like said bare minimum.

But oh man it feels good now that this initial task is done, ah! :)

PMC since 1984

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA 3)”