Photoshop; color palette

3D modeling, image editing, programming, text editing etc. Discussion here is not directly related to any game titles we feature.

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Photoshop; color palette

Post by Snake Man » 2009-07-23 16:47:18

I have problem with Photoshop (PS) use, I earlier used PaintShopPro (PSP) when creating color palette's for Falcon 4 ground textures (tiles), I was very comfortable with that method and can do it with my eyes closed in my dreams.

However in PS all I found was the Image -> Mode -> Color Table, menu which I used. In PSP when I load the earlier palette to another tile, there is not much any change to the coloring of the tile, depends a bit but usually no change at all, this is good. Now in PS when I do this its like they turn into different image completely, they are smoothed out completely etc look nothing like the original.

How could I properly save / load color palette's for images in PS, if anyone understands the method I explained above? :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Polak
Captain

Re: Photoshop; color palette

Post by Polak » 2009-08-01 14:17:00

I do not know if I understand your problem 100%, but make sure that you apply your custom palette to the picture which is in RGB mode (or 24bit color) and not Indexed. Even if you have the tile you work on in 8 bit mode , (orindexed, or 256 color depth) ...change it to RGB mode before applying new palette. Was that of any help?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2009-08-01 15:43:06

Hmm but isn't "indexed" the format Falcon 4 tiles use? I mean are there any other "256 color" modes to use?

The palette has to have the last colors as white and not used in the tile, unless you want night lighting. So how can I do that on the 24bit image, I cant(?).
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2009-08-01 18:33:35

Hmm but isn't "indexed" the format Falcon 4 tiles use? I mean are there any other "256 color" modes to use?
Indeed F4AF uses indexed PCXs , but to arrive to that your original tile should be in full 24bit (or RGB mode). My method is as follows.

I make set of all tiles for the group. Then using program Palettemaker I specify that I want to make a palette 252 colors)
(253, 254, 255, 256 th is left out for now for night lihgting - I edit that later with color and later I "sprinkle" the tile)
I then save that palette in *.act format.
Then usung Photoshop ... Image , Color Table, Force Custom ...or something like that ) convert "RGB mode" tiles to "Indexed" using that saved earlier *.act palette specially made for that group of tiles (and only that group).
In the game for testing I use 256 or 252 indexed PCXs but I still keep the originals in 24 bit color depth for any reediting, corrections, night lighs ...whatever.

Return to “General Editing (tools)”