Image editing: creating camo face

3D modeling, image editing, programming, text editing etc. Discussion here is not directly related to any game titles we feature.

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Image editing: creating camo face

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-01 17:42:40

If we have basic face / skin image template, how do I use for example photoshop to create camouflage color patterns on top of that face image so it would look somewhat real?

I believe it has to do something with layers and opacity and such, but would anyone have any experience on this?

I'm asking because I have bunch of faces where the bare arms part is without camo and looks really off from the camo face.

So far I have these tips from NeF which are quite generic in nature, as I'm photoshop newbie, I'd like more step by step stuff:
< Snake_Man> sure, also please tell me HOW do you customize them, I would like to learn.
< N3F> by adding a layer
< N3F> where you paint
< N3F> simple..
< N3F> ;)
< N3F> you take lasso, mark where you want to paint, add layer, paint, smooth
< N3F> use opacity to see face under paint
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Re: Image editing: creating camo face

Post by T_Rex » 2009-05-01 20:07:35

There's some decent vid tuts on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4EooYoYYTQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnekNH3gS1c

Each layer is like a picture in itself. If the face is the background, you can create a new layer "above" that one. If you make it all one color, and the opacity 100%, then all you see is that color. But, if you reduce the opacity, it becomes like a "screen" over the original picture, giving it some tint.

That's if you make the layer all one color.

If you start with the layer blank, or pure alpha, even at 100% opacity it will be invisible, then you can draw on the layer. For the face, if the regular arms are in the background, you can paint green stripes on the layer above the arms. That will look very artificial, though. You can then lower the opacity, so things like the hair can still be seen "under" the green. You can then add another layer of brown stripes "above" that, and lower the opacity until you have green and brown strips visible over the arms.

The main thing to remember is that when you have it in a way you like it, you have to "merge" the layers into one image, and save that as the jpg/png/tif (can't remember what the format has to be) for use in ArmA. It can take some testing to get the layer balance just right.

There are also some effects/tricks you can use on the layers, such as the paintbrush mode that darkens the edges of the areas you paint. That can be a neat effect for paint, or some cracking-type texture to make the camo look dried up. You could even use this technique to do tattoos. :)
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-02 04:23:17

Thanks T_Rex, I actually know how to create and use layers, but it was more "hands on" instructions that I'm looking for. The youtube videos were nice though.

Here is what Wipman wrote about making camo faces as he has done several (hundreds?) of them already, so he has some experience.

Wipman on camo faces:
you just need to create a new layer where apply the camo, choose the colours that you want and paint the scheme that you want, then set that layer's transparency to: 70% or less (deppending on the colours) then for add a more real look, take the eraser tool and set it's strenght to between 08% to 20% and erase a bit arround the zones that ya know that they'll be more in contact wiz the clothes.. the ground.. or just that will move more than the "flat" parts of the face, remember that the camo paint don't use to get too well pasted to haired zones, the beard, head hair, sideburns etc.

In some (deep) areas ya gonna have to reconstruct the natural deep of that zone (between the muscles) so paint wiz spray a black or dark brown line followin' the spaces between the muscles and then play wiz the transparency 'til that ya find the one that likes ya the most (between 04% to 18%) remember that this layer, must be on top of the camo, sleeve texture, tattoo or any furniture that you've made over the custom face skin. In places like the "frowns"? you must reconstruct 'em paintin' 'em wiz the pencil tool, (tickness = 1pixel) and then set the transparency to yar needs (usually 06% to 15%) that kind of things also go on top of the camo but under the remade shadows layer that ya did (in case of really need it).
So with all these instructions on this topic right now, at least I have some generic idea how to do camo face image editing. Perhaps I'll give it a shot and see how it turns out.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-02 15:59:17

This info was found in Armaholic.com forum topic.
To blend colour you make a new layer so you can delete anything that gets messed up and also in the layer you can choose the way the colour applies. NORMAL, OVERLAY, MULTIPLY etc. Test multiply or overlay and make the brush or layer a bit transparent. You can choose the modes directly on the brush or in the layer. You can even download brushes called GRUNGE wich basically is black and white photos of cracked walls, dirt, splats etc. Choose a good brush and choose a colour, set the layer to multiply and set the layer OR the brush to less pressure and you will get the face come through. Dont make it come through too much though. With the brush you can simply click couple of times with 1 colour and change to other colour, click click and your done. Google grunge brushes for photoshop. Or you can use the normal brushes ofcourse and slap it on.

You start making the camo on a 1024x1024 face image so you are able to make it detailed. When done, resize the image to 512x512 and then save it: "SAVE FOR WEB". Make it JPEG and drag down the quality slider until your around 50kb (for MP compability - many servers only allow up to 50kb face files). It will look good though.

Save it as "face.jpg" (without quotes "" and place it in C:\Documents and Settings\your_computer_name\My Documents\ArmA Other Profiles\your_game_name

PMC since 1984

Return to “General Editing (tools)”