"At War" settings

Campaign editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

toonces
Brig. General

"At War" settings

Post by toonces » 2009-07-20 14:18:07

In one of the editing screens in Tacedit, I can't remember the specific one right now, there is the ability to set the friendly, neutral, and hostile settings between countries.

I had a really interesting idea just now while reading something.

I'm thinking in the context of Vietnam. I was trying to think of a way to simulate the restrictive rules of engagement faced by US pilots. What I want to do is make it such that the ATO won't task the US player to strike certain facilities/units, but at the same time, the units are hostile to the US, can be used by North Vietnam, and will still attack US units, but can't be attacked by the US.

For example, setting certain facilities, say Kep airfield, as US neutral, but for Vietnam, hostile to the US.

Then, you could set SAMs and such around Kep that would attack the US, but the US wouldn't attack them.

Maybe it would work if you created two N. Vietnam "countries"; NV1 and NV2. NV1 is set hostile to US; US is set hostile to NV1.
NV2 is set hostile to US; US is set neutral to NV2.

You use NV1 to designate free fire for US. You use NV2 to designate restricted areas/units.

Then you can script in the trigger file that after some point in time there is an X% chance of US becoming hostile to NV2, simulating Presidential authority to attack previously restricted areas.

Would this work do you think? Is it even worth pursuing?

Does it even make sense ;)?

ccc
Chief of Staff

Re: "At War" settings

Post by ccc » 2009-07-20 14:28:30

you smart guy.

in tacEdit, > Team > Relations , yes you can choose the relations :

none, allied, friendly, neutral, hostile and at war.

your idea probably work - just need test. :mrgreen:

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2009-07-20 15:56:44

NV1 and NV2 need to be friendly, not sure if allied would work that US would not attack kep. There might be problem of NV1 capturing kep then, not sure.

The trigger of the NV2 becoming hostile is very easy to do.

Like CCC said, it needs the testing if the NV1+NV2 relationship would work like that.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2009-07-23 03:16:01

another idea for Vnam scenerio.. vnam theater has numerous bridges, only few are targets of interest - like Dragon jaw.

so.. how to prevent US attackers hitting bridges freely, and limit the strike on Dragon jaw in campaign?

solution 1 - use [ Team> bonuse/priority score tweak ], reduce all bridge priority to zero, so both sides won't hit bridges. player can set up his own flight to hit selected bridges.

solution 2 - use VN1+VN2 tweak.. set most bridges owned by VN2( neutral to both sides), only some bridges are owned by hostile VN1. in this case, "most bridges" means those on main combat route.

btw..this VN1+VN2 idea sounds really wierd..two ficitinoal nations and their objectives mix up on the same land..heheh. just need a test.