WIP, usable fog?

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA 2

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

DMarkwick
Recruit

WIP, usable fog?

Post by DMarkwick » 2010-01-31 01:51:33

I'm currently toying with a method of making fog better, that is, losing the "popping objects in front of sky" problem that ArmA2 ingame fog has:

and instead have a *sort of* temporary fix to make objects loom out of the fog instead:

However currently in it's, er, current state it's pretty much a per-ArmA2 session fix in that it's an addon that replaces sky textures, all of them. Specifically it replaces them all with a blank gray texture the same colour as objects in deepest fog, so when they pop into view they're exactly the same colour as the sky. As such, it's very effective. But as I said it's per ArmA2 session, if you wish for skies then you need to reboot the game and disable this addon.

Currently it has the same name as the JTD_ClearHorizons addon, as it basically does exactly the same thing I just copied the project and swap them as needed, you can only run one or the other in any case.

Link to WIP file
http://sites.google.com/site/dmarkwick6 ... ects=0&d=1

I thought I would post it here as it has great potential for Vietnam-style misty scenario atmosphere, instead of seeing trees pop into existence, they loom out of the fog now. There are still lots of issues to overcome before this addon will *officially* see the light of day, not the least of which is the fact that it's a per-session fog-only fix. As such, it's still very effective for what it does.

DMarkwick
Recruit

Re: WIP, usable fog?

Post by DMarkwick » 2010-01-31 03:02:48

Oh hey - you might as well have the Fat Rain too:
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9353

:) good for real lashing-down rain.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: WIP, usable fog?

Post by Snake Man » 2010-01-31 07:29:31

Thanks for posting. Heck the second picture looks like something out of scary movie :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA 2)”