Tunnels - Never Say Never

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA 2

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

TrueApothecary
Recruit
Gaming Interests: ArmA 2 (Armed Assault 2)
Editing Interests: Modeling + Texturing

Tunnels - Never Say Never

Post by TrueApothecary » 2009-12-16 09:32:56

Tunnels aren't just a dream for ARMA 2, they are a real possibility.

I realize the editor doesn't let you dig down into the dirt... Vistor doesn't even let you make nice, cut out trenches or holes in the ground, but flying around Chenarus and just taking a look at the terrain made me realize, you don't dig down. Dig up!

Make a hill or rock face to import into a .p3d file and cut a tunnel into it. Arma 2 already has big, complicated structures like castles, cities, a giant dam, there is no reason a hill or rock face with a tunnel through it is out of the question. Not only that, you can make the tunnel as uncomfortably small as you want, forcing players to crawl/crouch through areas. The only trouble is that AI doesn't handle CQB very well. Also, grenades have awkward tendencies in buildings and urban areas.

I don't have the kind of software that would let me build a big structure like this, but I thought I'd make the suggestion.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: Tunnels - Never Say Never

Post by Snake Man » 2009-12-16 10:20:31

Geometry might come into play in bad way.

I have not tested this, but I could go on as far as saying that smallest working tunnel you can make is the height of the character model so you can turn in the tunnel (unless you specifically make it "one way" method). If the tunnel is one way that you crawl into it, then "back up" your way out of it or reach some chamber larger area where you can stand up and turn...

Also as you said, AI will have great difficulties in these complex geometry models. Without testing... I can almost guarantee that AI wont be crawling in any tunnels, at most they would be stuck in spots there they are placed by mission editor or createvehicle method, dunno if they would fire their weapons normally in this position then.

CAT Afghanistan had tunnel rocks, we could try to see how ArmA engine handles those.

I like the idea though.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

TrueApothecary
Recruit

Post by TrueApothecary » 2009-12-17 13:47:45

I've played around with CQB scenarios in the mission editor. AI isn't completely inept in these situations, but it is 50/50. Unless they are facing a door/hallway, they often don't 'hear' the player coming. There is also places AI won't shoot. For instance, AI will not shoot through windows. Also, AI doesn't like to move around in buildings. They can, but they just don't like to.

In juxtaposition, sometimes AI has fatle funnels covered well, ready to shoot someone who crosses in front of them. The only crummy part of that is that grenades are hard to handle, not to mention they sink through the building models some of the time.

Anyhow, I wouldn't expect to have long, winding tunnels or huge tunnel battles, but neat tunnel structures are a strong possibility, especially if you throw one way tunnels into the mix. It would force players to send one or two tunnel rats crawling into caves.

AI would likely be stationary, but they could be set up to fill a tunnel complex out pretty well.

The big part would be blending these rock structures in with the environment.

TrueApothecary
Recruit

Post by TrueApothecary » 2010-01-30 07:00:05

A neat little video of an Arma 2 Map: Namalsk with an underground area. A pretty clever setup. The player places satchels and blows the building so that you can see the large cut out in the ground. Take a look, it's a pretty nice job, only a basement, but it could likely give some great ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAx9wJaV ... re=related

Supergrunt
Recruit
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: Missions

Post by Supergrunt » 2011-05-26 09:51:51

recently there was a proof of concept that somebody made an island when you toss a grenade a hole shows up where the grenade hits maybe this could be followed (can't find a link atm will edit when found)

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA 2)”