Suddenly getting memory error with my map

WrpTool island creator utility

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Sgt_Anderson
Recruit

Suddenly getting memory error with my map

Post by Sgt_Anderson » 2005-08-06 23:23:01

Hi, I am working on my island Bahadur for the Operation Trident campaign. Up until earlier today I was able to test my island with terrain detail set to normal but now crashes to desktop at any setting higher than low, is there a limit for how much detail you can make to your terrain in WrpTools on a map thats 24x24km?

The only object set that I added to my map today was SEB's rumble in the jungle objects, are they memeory hogs?

MI_Fred
1st Lt

Re: Suddenly getting memory error with my map

Post by MI_Fred » 2005-08-07 09:04:01

No, Ilo objects should be the lightest ever objects... which I've seen atleast ;)

Using normal or any other than low terrain detail isn't recommended, especially on a 25km map due to lag. But generally low is used since wrptool uses it and object placement is dependant on it.

So are you sure it was after the Ilo objects that the crashing started?

Sgt_Anderson
Recruit

Post by Sgt_Anderson » 2005-08-07 19:22:56

Well, I cant say that the ilo objects are causing it, but I had just been testing the map on Normal detail earlier, and the only alteration I made to the map between the time it was working on normal and the time it was not was the ilo objects, and adding a small amount of more detail to the terrain.

I should say that I did get this problem when I first started trying to make the basic terrain and there was an insane amount of elevation changes(think a 51.2km dune sea). Could my memeory error be from to many elevation peaks to record?

By the way, thanks for your effort.

MI_Fred
1st Lt

Post by MI_Fred » 2005-08-07 22:56:01

I think the terrain will always have the same amount of polygons wether or not they are at different heights, or could BI have been so smart as to triangulate faces only when needed  :o

I'd like to know when exactly you get the crash, when the Ilo objects are in sight (more polygons on screen than can be handled?) or immediately when previewing in the mission editor. If when on screen, then BI are too smart for their own good and you can't have any objects on dunes (would you normally have anyway). Or if they are in the midst of each other... all I can say is it sounds like a great island but perhaps you should be content with a 12.5km island.

This might not even be a wrptool issue, for all I know it's just a tool to handle what BI have given us. Same could happen with Visitor. But I'll stop assuming shit and let the devs do the talking.
Last edited by MI_Fred on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-08-08 09:15:20

now crashes to desktop at any setting higher than low, is there a limit for how much detail you can make to your terrain in WrpTools on a map thats 24x24km?
If we think that the TERRAIN is too detailed and that causes the crash, then it should be with insane elevations or roughness.

Other can be that you have too many objects and/or low amount of ram to run the island.

How much landmass your island got?
How rough/rugged the terrain is?
How many objects your island got?

Sgt_Anderson
Recruit

Post by Sgt_Anderson » 2005-08-08 16:24:44

Its weird. After having OFP crash on me 2 days ago I was able ONCE to run my map on Normal terrain detail, and I tried Nogova, Desert Island etc and they all ran fine on normal. I will upload some pics later showing the land mass, terrain ruggedness, and the object count.

Here are the stats that show up in WRPTool when the map is finished loading.

Read Settings
Read Texture Paths...
Texture Paths read.
Read Object Paths...
Texture Object read.
Read 11 Classes
Read Object List
Read 644 Object definitions
Read Object Previews
[ImportWrpFile] Signature: 4WVR
X size: 512
Z size: 512