elevations on big islands?

WrpTool island creator utility

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

titus

elevations on big islands?

Post by titus » 2005-03-22 13:23:54

I am working on a 25 of 25 kilometer island with WrpToll since more than one year.

The most annyoing problem I have is the terrain. I dont want to make a "geometric hillside" (like on StrikeIsland for example), with only very flat and very hilly terrain. I try to make realistic looking hills which are going up in a distance of about 6 kilometers in several steps to a max height of 1200 metres.

The problem: In WrpTool, you work with squares of 50 on 50 metres. But OFP is using another grid depending on how you set the "terrain detail" in the Mission Editor. So there are a lot of little and sometimes very ugly edges in the terrain. This occurs on every island.

But if I compare mine for example with eden, its really horrible. If I set the terrain detail on "Low", its no problem at all, but on medium it is one and on high its just too ugly to play. I can make exactly parallel elevation lines from west to east and its still bad. Blur does not help - i would have to blur down all my hills.

I dont know how to add pictures here - i would have 2 to show the elevation lines of a small area in WRPTool and the same area in the Editor - the difference is huge!

I thought this could be a problem of big islands. So I tried to solve the problem in the config.cpp with the "Land Grid" command: "LandGrid=50" is standard, I changed to "LandGrid=25". The result: The ugly edges are away, but the Island is now a 12 on 12 kilometer island and all objetcs are on a different place than in WRPTool. So thats no way.

My questions:

Is the "elevation problem" a biger problem on large islands than on small ones?

Is there a possibility to solve it with config.cpp?

If I cant solve it, what would you as player think: Is it bad to make an island you have to play in "terrain detail low"?

Is there a possibility to see the terrain in WrpTool like it is in the editor? On this way, I could plant bushes on the ugly edges.

-----------------

Another Question: About 1/4 of my island (20 on 9 kilometers) is finished, and there are about 340'000 objects. Too many objects slow down the game. But almost the half of em are bushes. So: Do 100'000 bushes slow down the same as 100'000 complex buildings? Could it get a problem when I work on like that (in the End, if I ever finish this, there will be about 1 Million objetcs!)?

---------------------

An Off-Topic Question: Where could I find possible alpha testers? I want to show my island to others because its not worth the time to go on with it when it isnt good.

Snake_Man

Re: elevations on big islands?

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-03-22 14:01:23

Is the "elevation problem" a biger problem on large islands than on small ones?
No. OFP uses the same terrain "detail" for all islands, regardless the size.
Is there a possibility to solve it with config.cpp?
Umm no, as much I understand it. Its the OFP that mages the jigs and jags to the terrain "automatically" when you choose the more higher detail levels.
If I cant solve it, what would you as player think: Is it bad to make an island you have to play in "terrain detail low"?
No and in fact I like the little roughness on the terrain if I have the CPU power to run such thing. But yeah if you are looking 1:1 and 100% realism, maybe your terrain dont have these "jigs and jags". But I'll like them.
Is there a possibility to see the terrain in WrpTool like it is in the editor?
No.
about 340'000 objects. Too many objects slow down the game.
Many objects slow down the loading process and uses alot of memory.

Many objects IN VIEW slow down the framerates.
Do 100'000 bushes slow down the same as 100'000 complex buildings?
To my experience its the same when they are in the background. When they are in view, I'd think one simple bush dont lag as much as one complex building. But dunno about it, havent tested it really in that sense.
Where could I find possible alpha testers?
Well if you cannot find anyone else, send it to me. I cannot guarantee that I'm really good tester, but I'll fire it up and look for the most obvious errors of course which are easy to find in todays islands.

Recon
Recruit

Re: elevations on big islands?

Post by Recon » 2005-03-22 16:28:25

I'm willing to test for you. I've got a medium end pc so any lag other then Nogova or newland will be obvious. Send an e-mail to wouter_groenen@lycos.nl (max10 mb).