Sound

WrpTool island creator utility

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Recon
Recruit

Sound

Post by Recon » 2004-08-24 22:18:43

Who can help me with 'placing' enviromental sounds in my island. I know WRPedit used some standard sounds for forest, hills, etc. Does WRPtool have this function? And how about some custom sounds. Because I think this add's a lot of feeling to your Island.

So please someone help, I'am not that good with config scripting :'(.

Planetscape
Recruit

Re: Sound

Post by Planetscape » 2004-08-25 09:39:59

I am remembered, when I was walking on my island and climbed a hill, I turned the sound-volume high and the wind was howling and the crickets were screeching. I didn't do anything about the sound so my guess is that those will be placed automatically.
Imagination is a handy companion which can bring originality and stupidity.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-08-25 09:56:44

Visitor and WrpTool saves in 4WVR format the island .wrp file. This file format will not support environmental sounds.

When you load this 4WVR wrp file in OFP it creates the sounds automatically and I believe binarize does it as well.

Environmental sound settings go to the config.cpp, they should be included in the example configs if I recall. Then just load your wrp into OFP and its done.

Recon
Recruit

Post by Recon » 2004-08-25 10:46:04

Ok thanks. I noticed the sounds when I turned the volume up.

But how about customizing them, let's say that I wan't to hear the howling wind sound (when your in the hills) when your in a forest. How do I do that or is that not possible.

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2004-08-25 16:07:14

Just looked through the 1.96 RES config to see if I could get to the bottom of this once and for all... and I'm not sure I've found the bottom yet...
  • Worlds are defined in CfgWorlds {} section. Only Abel : Defaultworld has any sort of locally defined CfgEnvSounds, the rest, including DefaultWorld inherit their sounds exclusively.
  • Skipping back up aways in the config file, we find the root CfgEnvSounds class with the different sounds types, but again no correlation to any particular region or texture or object.
  • This brings us back further up to the CfgSurfaces section. I think this is where the dynamic info comes from. The files property is a filter to match an environment definition to various 2n2n2n2n.pa* filename combinations in the BIS format. This could become a significant issue when creating 3rdparty textures.
As for WRPedit / visitor style specific sound placing for additional effects like bird chirps and such, are we sure that it is a flag and not something like a placed object? Irregardless, I suppose that as the correct space for that kind of item is not known in the FWVR spec, we're stuck for now.

Planetscape
Recruit

Post by Planetscape » 2004-08-25 19:02:29

To get back to this topic, I noticed an error. I've made a 512x512 terrain and inserted my 3 main islands. Now when I walk over the grasslands I hear water splashing ( even at 300+ meters ) This can't be right ???

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-08-26 06:35:02

Water splashing has been asked and answered few times already, darn I still cant remember what was the cause. Use the forum search here to look for it.

Planetscape
Recruit

Post by Planetscape » 2004-08-26 08:17:42

Ok, thanks Snake ;)