making a basic island

WrpTool island creator utility

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

afrographX

making a basic island

Post by afrographX » 2004-08-06 14:52:49

Hi,
I'm trying to make an island for ofp. I already made a first concept drawing based on the Island of St.Martin:

I decided to make the island with the wrpTool. But I have no idea how to make the basic island. I followed the instructions in the WRP-manual and downloaded Wilbur. I assume you have to study the 60-page manual of this program first before you're able to do anything with it.

Can someone say me which tool I can use for my project an how to? Or how to use WIlbur? (Or perhaps someone is so skilled that he could do the basic Island for me?)

thanks in advance

shinRaiden
Captain

Re: making a basic island

Post by shinRaiden » 2004-08-07 02:32:30

What you need is the real GIS data for the island, a DEM, NED, or SRTM data file. If you don't have one, you will need to go find one.

Generally, those files are in formats that Wilbur is not too thrilled about. You will need to process them first using another tool like Microdem to do initial processing.

Try this recent thread for starting ideas for dealing with NED and SRTM format data files.

afrographX

Post by afrographX » 2004-08-07 10:18:39

thx for your reply. I followed the steps in the DEM-WRP tutorial and I succeded (although I couldn't find sufficient data for St. Martin). But one problem arose. This island I now have is 51,2x51,2 km big. I want it to be only 25,6x25,6. I already tried to adjjust the size in the globalmapper but it didn't work.

So is there a possibility in globalmapper, wilbur or wrptool to reduce the size of the map?

/// and another question, how is this terrain detail thing hadneled, I use to play on terrain detail 'high' and in this mode you have in most areas a very hilly terrain. do I hav to make every single hill myself or does ofp create thsi automatically according to the terrain settings?
Last edited by afrographX on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2004-08-09 20:41:22

I know microdem has some output scaling options, I can't remember on Wilbur. Most of the comments on wilbur have to do with decimal percision on the lat/lon exports on this topic.

For terrain detail, very-low = WRP terrain. Everything else is dynamic.

fogw

Post by fogw » 2004-08-12 09:10:44

thx for your reply. I followed the steps in the DEM-WRP tutorial and I succeded (although I couldn't find sufficient data for St. Martin). But one problem arose. This island I now have is 51,2x51,2 km big. I want it to be only 25,6x25,6. I already tried to adjjust the size in the globalmapper but it didn't work.

So is there a possibility in globalmapper, wilbur or wrptool to reduce the size of the map?

/// and another question, how is this terrain detail thing hadneled, I use to play on terrain detail 'high' and in this mode you have in most areas a very hilly terrain. do I hav to make every single hill myself or does ofp create thsi automatically according to the terrain settings?

Size: I you download a DEM , HGT etc file, the size is as it is in real life. Global mapper cant resize a DEM file. ( dont know if microdem ore some other tools has this option ).

Detail: In OFP ( and VBS ) the detail is set to 50 meter GRID size, as far as I know, this size is defualt and locked...

Freddy