Kolevermaldova

WrpTool island creator utility

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

m21man
Recruit

Kolevermaldova

Post by m21man » 2003-12-01 23:29:35

Is there a practical way to combine Everon, Kolgujev, Malden, and Nogova into one 25 x 25 map?
Hard work takes time for you to feel its effects, laziness has immediate rewards.

shinRaiden
Captain

Re: Kolevermaldova

Post by shinRaiden » 2003-12-02 02:30:22

The problem here is 2-fold.

1) combining any 2 islands in most cases knocks you over the 512 texture limit, causeing WRPtool to crash with obvious loss of unsaved data. This can only be resolved by replacing the textures with a common texture set.

2) BIS does not want actual Nogova data made publicly available. ie: no Nogova WRP. I'm wondering what they would say to a blurred variant, as it would not be 'identical' node points. In any rate, since not everyone is garaunteed to have RES (And red hammer, as opposed to CWC), BIS has put their foot down for no public releases of .noe data.

I am working though, on a complete retexture of all CWC islands to use o textures. When that is completed, I will post links for them, as well as a 102km island including them and others.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-12-02 02:46:38

Malden and Everon can be merged together, did this already and it worked fine.

Kolgujev on the other hand was the one with many textures if I recall correctly.

m21man
Recruit

Post by m21man » 2003-12-02 02:54:47

I am working though, on a complete retexture of all CWC islands to use o textures. When that is completed, I will post links for them, as well as a 102km island including them and others.
Can't wait for it to be released :D .
Hard work takes time for you to feel its effects, laziness has immediate rewards.

m21man
Recruit

Post by m21man » 2003-12-02 03:01:11

2) BIS does not want actual Nogova data made publicly available. ie: no Nogova WRP. I'm wondering what they would say to a blurred variant, as it would not be 'identical' node points. In any rate, since not everyone is garaunteed to have RES (And red hammer, as opposed to CWC), BIS has put their foot down for no public releases of .noe data.
I just had a thought about this. If it's possible to combine the four primary islands, then couldn't we put together a pack of general textures and a step-by-step guide telling people how to assemble a 25 x 25 BIS island world for private use? People would need the Nogova WRP file, but if they have Resistance then they will already have it.
Last edited by m21man on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

monoloth
Recruit

Post by monoloth » 2003-12-02 06:04:51

The problem here is 2-fold.

1) combining any 2 islands in most cases knocks you over the 512 texture limit, causeing WRPtool to crash with obvious loss of unsaved data. This can only be resolved by replacing the textures with a common texture set.

I dont understand this.....I have the Noe.wrp, and have opened it in the tool several times to look at textures i need the nam,e for, buildings, roads, etc. Isnt that one of the things we were supposed to do with the tool?

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2003-12-02 07:29:54

Yes you can open noe.wrp just fine.

The deal is, BIS does not want it posted online or redistributed in any fashion, as not everyone is bound to have it. Legal Stuff. And with WRPtool being able to pop open any wrp, the WRPtool community has a special obligation to respect BIS's wishes in this matter.

So the short of it is you can fiddle with noe all you want, you just can't share it with anyone who doesn't have RES, and since you can't garauntee control of the data, best not to share it at all.

m21man --

That is a possible legal solution, however, the technical likelyhood of everyone's maps being identical is rather slim.

Snake_man --

Could we see a disclaimer on this subject in the next manual, as well as a note regarding obtaining permission from the mods for using their stuff? I know BAS has been rather sensitive on this.

Thanks all.

m21man
Recruit

Post by m21man » 2003-12-02 13:51:10

That is a possible legal solution, however, the technical likelyhood of everyone's maps being identical is rather slim.
Where would the differences be? Objects, names, or textures?

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-12-02 15:38:37

Simply to put, OFP wrp system has limitation of 512 individual textures, if we exceed this amount the island does not work anymore as OFP cant read it.

So you can create Malden and Everon like I already did, check the WrpTool news/project page for the image. This setup wont exceed the texture limit.

However if you want to bring in Kolgujev, which has if I recall over 300 individual textures alone, then you need to remove some of the textures with some more generic ones... lets say you completely remove the "bronze" colored lava/whatever spill from the mountain top into the ocean, that cuts some of the textures away from Kolgujev.

So question is, do you want all islands 100% identical to the originals or for example Kolgujev with less textures.

As shinRaiden already pointed out, if we add Nogova to the merger we not only run into huge texture limit problem but also mad up BIS bigtime ;)

m21man
Recruit

Post by m21man » 2003-12-02 20:18:30

I think that you could completely texture Everon and some areas of Malden with the default BIS /o textures. Everon is mostly green, so you could just use the default Nogova grass textures. It would be nice if we could make a new set of high-res Malden textures, the old ones look pretty bad compared to current standards. However, we could texture the north Malden desert with Nogova desert textures. By using all of these BI textures, we give ourselves more room for Kolgujev textures. Kolgujev seems to be the hardest, but it would be possible to make a collection of high-res Kolgujev textures that keep the old feeling of the original Kolgujev while not taking as much space.

monoloth
Recruit

Post by monoloth » 2003-12-03 03:07:26

uh............i fully understand the legality of the issue, and thats no problem, my island is for my clan anyway, at least till it works properly, lol.
As for the textures........when u say 512 max textures, does that mean 512 different styles/types/names of textures? Or does it mean that all the cells need to be filled in? And when I place a new texture over an existing trexture, does it replace the one covered of simply cover it. For example, to start I filled every cell with the default sand texture from Eden, thern used mostly otextures to finish off the island, except for runway textures, which i used from Eden. Is that a problem?

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-12-03 03:29:50

does that mean 512 different styles/types/names of textures?
Yes it means 512 different texture types or names. you can have 262,000 (something) textures in 25km island, but only 512 different types.
Or does it mean that all the cells need to be filled in?
In any case all cells need to be filled, if you got one cell in red at WrpTool and then in OFP mission editor you turn in that textures button, you get instant CTD.
I filled every cell with the default sand texture from Eden, thern used mostly otextures to finish off the island, except for runway textures, which i used from Eden.  Is that a problem?
Hmm not sure what you're asking here but thats perfectly normal. Ocean bottom would be one single simple sand texture for example, or whatever you wish it to be.

But in your example, why not just using the O sand/desert texture for the basic background, if it happens that you use desert for other visible part of the island, then you have won one texture less. If I understood your correctly that you filled like I said earlier the ocean bottom with everon sand texture and rest of the places with O textures.

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2003-12-03 04:58:40

What we need is a O_redux texture pack. O only has 304 textures, so there is plenty of room for a hi-res version of Cain textures.

Unfortunately, my system is crapped up again. Buldozer works with oxygen, but not visitor. I 'presume' visitor can create textures, but have not yet been able to confirm this. I can provide a list of needed textures if someone has a working system and knows how to do this.

monoloth
Recruit

Post by monoloth » 2003-12-03 06:28:09

Hmm not sure what you're asking here but thats perfectly normal. Ocean bottom would be one single simple sand texture for example, or whatever you wish it to be.

But in your example, why not just using the O sand/desert texture for the basic background, if it happens that you use desert for other visible part of the island, then you have won one texture less. If I understood your correctly that you filled like I said earlier the ocean bottom with everon sand texture and rest of the places with O textures.
Thats correct, I have sort of "blundered" thru the beginning process.so perfection on the textures is far far away, but it had trouble finding a blend from the Eden runway textures to the Osand texture...am i just not looking hard enuff? Both of my airfield complexes are on small straight islands off of the east and west coast, with a small land bridge connecting to the mainland, so blending was a neccesity(sp)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-12-03 12:07:11

had trouble finding a blend from the Eden runway textures to the Osand texture...
There is no such transition texture. You "cant" mix textures from different islands because there is no transitions for them.

Of course you can put them mixed, but it looks stupid as there is this hardcore clear line between the two different textures.

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2003-12-03 16:12:29

In any rate, it would be rather hookey, as CWC textures are 128x128, and RES is 512x512. What you see is what you get.

Lennin

Post by Lennin » 2003-12-03 21:56:55

I know I'm a noob, but how can you import the islands into a map. I wanted to make this a island chain w/o Nogova

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2003-12-04 04:56:35

Please see the manual on the topic of importing wrp's.

The big issue is currently WRPtool does not support more than 512 unique textures, since that is OFP's limit as well. Therefore, if you have a blank map and import any two, you don't break that limit. Any three though, and the number of unique textures causes a CTD.

So, to do a migration, you need to migrate the textures on each source file first, then import onto your target map.

Colonel_Klink
2nd Lt

Post by Colonel_Klink » 2003-12-04 23:31:42

Making transitions manually is possible. I've done this in PSP, but the Noe textures are bigger than the others so you have to make the transitions either Noe size or smaller which can look weird if not done correctly.
I'm not sure even if Visitor could do it automatically.
Last edited by Colonel_Klink on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-12-05 04:08:52

Posted.

Leech from our download page.

andersson

Post by andersson » 2004-04-20 17:03:14

I´m trying to make a map with all 5 BIS maps.
I have changed kolgujev, everon, malden and desert island so they uses nogova textures. I thought that if they all used the same textures it was only a matter of importing to a 1024x1024. But no..
My problem is that the textures are still added.
If I look in texture viewer I see that the map uses the same textures more than once.

ex I have Ops.paa AND ops.paa

I tried to change all o->O using a hex-editor but it didnt help,

now I have Ops.paa AND Ops.paa .....

Is it a bug in wrp-tool and is it possible for me to get around this trouble?

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-04-20 18:02:07

I think its a bug, can you remove the transitions and then import the wrp cells back in so it wont bring in the unused textures perhaps?

andersson

Post by andersson » 2004-04-21 12:18:01

I´m not sure I understod what you wanted me to do but I exported the map and imported the cells to a new 1024. But it didnt help.

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2004-04-21 20:12:39

I believe what you need to do is check the options to import objects and elevation, but no textures and see if the situation repro's.

andersson

Post by andersson » 2004-04-21 23:02:20

But wont the islands be without textures then?

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2004-04-22 05:01:59

Yes, no textures. The intent is to search for possible data corruption. If the wrps import without textures, you've got an uncluttered objects and elevation set.

No you can try importing small sections of the terrain, taking care to make sure you match the cell locations exactly. That way you can look to see if you messed up any of your replacement areas.

When I work on my o ports, I generally only do one thing per save session, ie just forests, or just t1 based stuff. I then save, then reload. That way I can easily avoid ever having too many textures open at once.

I'd like to see a copy of your config settings, as well as a screenshot of the directory with your depbo'd data if that's possible. If you don't have a site to host a screen shot at, you can do a (from a command prompt in the directory configured in wrptool) tree command or dir/ad/b, and post the results here.

andersson

Post by andersson » 2004-04-22 11:19:41

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2004-04-22 17:12:27

Okay, that looks good there. Have you for sure upgraded to the .950 release of WRPtool?

andersson

Post by andersson » 2004-04-22 22:05:19

Yes. I have 0.950